What's new

I find it hard to believe a modern dishwasher will harm a safety razor

There are no exposed heating elements in my Asko dishwasher, and I think they even say you can put plastic in the bottom rack. I just find it hard to believe that an all metal razor will be harmed in a modern dishwasher. Is the plating, ect., all that delicate? I am mostly thinking about my Henson Razor, which is anodized aluminum. Is there even any plating involved? This is important to me, as I am much too lazy to do my weekly cleaning by soaking, scrubbing with tooth brush, ect.
Do you have any thoughts or experience with this?
Thank you.

Aluminum items are not recommended in dishwashers because of the detergent. It can damage the finish. Something like a microfiber cloth with regular dish soap should be fine. That's as easy as washing a piece of silverware. If I were you, I'd see what Henson recommends for cleaning and just do that.

@Mike Williams said:
This is important to me, as I am much too lazy to do my weekly cleaning by soaking, scrubbing with tooth brush, ect.

Maybe this is a vintage owners thing, but if you truly lurve your razors, you will give them a friendly soak, scrub, and indeed an ect.

This is my quality time with my razors, as I talk to them about what they remember in their long and eventful lives. And often they answer back.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
@Mike Williams said:
This is important to me, as I am much too lazy to do my weekly cleaning by soaking, scrubbing with tooth brush, ect.

Maybe this is a vintage owners thing, but if you truly lurve your razors, you will give them a friendly soak, scrub, and indeed an ect.

This is my quality time with my razors, as I talk to them about what they remember in their long and eventful lives. And often they answer back.
Yes Simon, but he is talking about a Henson. :ouch1:
Is the plating, ect., all that delicate? I am mostly thinking about my Henson Razor, which is anodized aluminum. Is there even any plating involved?
Anodizing aluminum seals the surface and will protect it from anything your dishwasher can throw at it. I made medical products for the Operating Room for 35+ years, it will be fine.

~doug~

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I'm having trouble trying to understand this irresistible compulsion to have everyting so darn tidy. It's a tool, let it be used as such and scrub it up only occasionally with a soft toothbrush. I rarely clean some of my vintage razors, they're fine sitting and waiting with a thin, hazy deposit of soap.

A jewelry sonic cleaner does a GREAT job on cleaning razors.
I'm having trouble trying to understand this irrestable compulsion to have everyting so darn tidy. It's a tool, let it be used as such and scrub it up only occasionally with a soft toothbrush. I rarely clean some of my vintage razors, they're fine sitting and waiting with a thin, hazy deposit of soap.
Nemo, I hear ya. Many of the razors in the posts on SOTD are always in pristine condition.
Do they really use them, or just say they did. :001_smile

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I'm not sure it would hurt, but I wonder if washing an item with soap and water would be an effective means of removing deposits from soap and water.
When you clean your shower, you generally use a cleaner designed to remove hard water and soap scum deposits rather than just soap and water.

Yes Simon, but he is talking about a Henson. :ouch1:

Anodizing aluminum seals the surface and will protect it from anything your dishwasher can throw at it. I made medical products for the Operating Room for 35+ years, it will be fine.

~doug~
Yeah, I’m an RN. Were you guys able to sterilize anodized aluminum?

Top Bottom