What's new

I didn't hear it coming.

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
I didn’t hear it coming. Others have reported that when it happened to them, they heard it coming. Not me. I didn’t hear it coming. It had been a routine morning, usual prep, and I was settling in to enjoy the whole process. It was relaxing because it was a vacation day, and I was going to take it slow and enjoy every last moment of the luxurious ritual. I guess I’d always just been fortunate. Maybe I thought it would never happen to me, but I suppose if you play the odds enough, chances are it will catch up to you.

Everything was going fine- no make that great, when POW! an overwhelming cloud of white hit my face. I instinctively shook my head and found it had enveloped my whole existence. As I was trying to clear space to breathe, I was then hit with a wall of hair and bristle, pushing me around and off of my feet. I began to cartwheel, arms and legs spinning and flailing around. Up was down and then up again. I was weightless, but I knew I had to keep swimming or I would lose all control. I lost all perspective except for the feel of the white, pillowy, softness that had surrounded me and the occasional slow-motion push or soft shove of hair. I was swept this way and that way, then this way and that way. My world when silent and dark, but I could smell it all around me, maybe a little powder, some lavender, and then just a hint of wet dog. I don’t know how long it went on like that, and I might have been screaming, I just don’t know. All I know is that this was not how I wanted to go, I had so much that I still wanted to do. I’m still amazed that I did not crash into anything, or that nothing hit me. I knew that there were sharp things around me and I was terrified of where they might land. I tried to brace myself and wondered if it was ever going to stop. I realized that I had not been breathing, and then I realized that I was not able to. I was in over my head in a slick, gooey slop and was utterly helpless. Things were happening too fast and yet in slow-motion at the same time.

Suddenly my head popped out of the fluffy swirls and I was almost blinded by how bright it was. I blinked and shook my head to clear my vision. The air smelled so clean and fresh, so thick and sustaining. Colors seemed brighter, I heard birds chirping away like delightful music. I laughed out loud like a lunatic, whooped and hollered, because I knew then that I would survive. I looked down and I saw the white-knuckled grip of my left fist hanging on to my new Timeless bronze. My right hand was still clutching an ivory colored cylinder that my fingers could not quite close all around its diameter. Bristles of badger stuck up through the lather in all directions, seeming to fill the whole side of the room.

The lesson, I suppose is that it could happen to any of us, anytime. Don’t get complacent. Stay humble. Know your limits and don’t push them too fast. Learn from others. Know your systems and train like it matters. Treat each day like gift that it is. This world offers much joy and beauty, but there are dangers as well.

Like I said, I never heard it coming.

(Alternate title- Today I used my new Simpson Chubby 3 for the first time.)

Like I said, I never heard it coming.
:001_unsur It's kinda' perplexing that we haven't seen (or heard) you at the BOSC.

upload_2017-12-30_1-50-20.png
:letterk1: :laugh:

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
I just joined the snoopy sabbatical specifically to stop myself from getting a Chubby 2. It hasn't even started yet and I'm not sure if I can make it!

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
Al right. I've had some time to reflect and lick my wounds. I think I might need to go back and slay the dragon. But I'm a little scared. We've all been knocked down, dragged around, kicked around and so forth, but shall I get back on that bucking bronco? It's not how you've been knocked down, it's how you get up, right? It's not the critic that counts... Walking towards the bathroom, turning on the hot water...
I'm going to try again tonight- I'll keep you posted.
This time... I'll be ready!

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
While on the mend I've met this nurse... She tells me there's a way I could try again without ever seeing another badger. Boy, she's a looker! But there is something about her that seems a little off. I can't quite put my finger on it. Her hair brushed up against my face the other day while she was taking my vitals. It smelled so nice, and her smile puts me at ease, but I don't know. She seems so .....sterile? Sometimes I'm so out of it that I can't judge my perceptions. Doc says I'll be cleared for duty soon. Once again in to the breach? Maybe tomorrow...

While on the mend I've met this nurse... She tells me there's a way I could try again without ever seeing another badger. Boy, she's a looker! But there is something about her that seems a little off. I can't quite put my finger on it. Her hair brushed up against my face the other day while she was taking my vitals. It smelled so nice, and her smile puts me at ease, but I don't know. She seems so .....sterile? Sometimes I'm so out of it that I can't judge my perceptions. Doc says I'll be cleared for duty soon. Once again in to the breach? Maybe tomorrow...

Look out! It's a disguise!. Run before it's too late.

Great writing!

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
So I love tapas... and architecture. But by now it was too late at night for me to be walking alone on Las Ramblas. My new found pals from North Dakota had turned out to be a boors with too much money and but plenty of entitlement who felt like fighting the bartender so I left on my own to wander. As I walked down the narrow alley I heard glass breaking behind me and I felt assured that my decision was correct. But now I was alone.

It had been a wonderful city, but I was out of place. I had studied Columbus and Guadi extensively in college, yet none of that prepared me for what I was in for. I walked around a bit, then I smelled some steak and seafood grilling in a little shop and paused long enough at the window to see some people wave me in from the street. I was not sure who eats such a big dinner at 11 at night, but I walked into the place.

Now bear in mind I had been drinking red wine since early afternoon when my traveling companions, tough guys who had been working in the oil fields out west, were buying drinks but had gone south by insulting the locals. I had met them at a mosaic park having overheard them speaking spanish. I tried to explain, but then they invited to me to drink, so I thought, "Why not?" I was out of my comfort zone a bit- so whatever. Then it went bad.

As I walked in to this low-ceilinged awesome-smelling grill joint, I sat down, smiled at everyone and agreed to a big plate of patatas bravas and grilled meat along with, you guessed it, more red wine. Everyone was full of questions and as I tried to stumble in catalan, they laughed and answered me in english. A couple, perhaps older than me, asked me why was there, if I had been enjoying myself, and what I did for a living. I talked too much about my love of architecture and wanting to understand the place where I was. The food, the wine, the conversation, it was all delightful. I think I ate something that had squid -and ink? in it. Remember, I had been drinking. A lot. Since early afternoon. So I really can't remember.

The couple got up to leave. As the woman turned, a wisp of her hair brushed up agains me. I smelled a smokey, clean, and oddly salty fragrance. Her jet black hair had grey tips, and although she seemed uninterested in me, she apologized for her brother, saying he had to leave. Her eyes were mix between green, yellow, and black. She whispered the name of a church and suggested we meet later on.

All I can say is that I had been drinking too much and wish I could remember. I woke up, very sore, having slept on cobblestones. I had no wallet, no phone, no passport, no prospect of making it home. I figured I had been rolled, and felt naive. But as I opened my eyes, and looked around, I looked up at a church with so many towers, maybe made of tan stone and mortar, strange gothic towers that reached to the sky. It was lovely. The stained glass windows and figures carved in stone that I did not understand made me wonder.

I figured I had been robbed, taken advantage of, and would now spend weeks with insurance companies trying to figure out the theft. I felt stupid.

Unexpectedly, a chinese taxi driver yelled out to me, but I explained I had no money. He offered to take me back to my B&B if I would pay him then. I did, and to my surprise I found my passport, wallet, and phone on the desk in my room. I guess I had only left with cash the night before. I was not a victim of any crime at all! I paid the driver and thanked him and asked his name. He said it was Ali B. I only owed him $7.50 which seemed like a great deal. I felt lucky as I have so many times in my life.

Looking back I can still see the woman's black hair with grey tips and yellow-green eyes. And I can remember the salty-clean smell of her hair. I'm pretty sure I just passed out on the street. I have never been sure, sure,but I can not help but think the whole thing was my own invention in my mind.

Once in a while though, I look at my teeth when I am shaving and think I see the ink stains of the paella.

(Alternate title, I just shaved with my Yaqi Sagrada Família and La Toja.)

Top Bottom