What's new

Semogue SOC Boar extremely harsh, will it get soft?

Hi,

I just purchased a Semogue SOC Boar. I soaked in the water in the fridge for a couple of days because I saw that in a video somewhere. I then dried it.

I've just used it, and it feels way too abrasive for me. Like almost to the point of causing pain. I soaked it in warm water for 2-3 minutes before using, so I suppose if I had soaked it for longer, it might not have been as abrasive.

Will it become soft? If so, how long might it take? How can I make this happen without using it on my face?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi,

I just purchased a Semogue SOC Boar. I soaked in the water in the fridge for a couple of days because I saw that in a video somewhere. I then dried it.

I've just used it, and it feels way too abrasive for me. Like almost to the point of causing pain. I soaked it in warm water for 2-3 minutes before using, so I suppose if I had soaked it for longer, it might not have been as abrasive.

Will it become soft? If so, how long might it take? How can I make this happen without using it on my face?

Thanks!
Hello my friend!

The Semogue SOC Boar is one of my favorite brushes. It tends to soften after some time due to the split ends common in boar bristles.
A good tip I received from some Italian friends who primarily use boar brushes is to leave them to soak overnight, before the morning shave. I do this regularly and recommend it. I hope I have contributed in some way.

Cheers!
❤️🪒

It’s the slowest boar I know of. Once the tips split it will be noticeable. The more soaking and dry cycles it goes through, the softer the tips will get. In 6 months, it’ll feel much different, at a year, more so than at 6 months. You can use it sooner of course, but mine continued to break in to its final form at about a year.

It does need wet to fully dry cycles, and building lather at least (vs actually using it) will work the cycles for the break in. It should stop being irritating fairly soon.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Yes, it will get quite soft - softer than some would prefer. My estimate for fully broken in would be around 6 weeks, maybe longer. But I think the biggest changes happen in the first week or two. I suggest you do some palm lathers. If it's really bothering you try this for a few days, shave using a different brush and make too much lather. After the shave use the excess lather to palm lather the SOC for a time. Let it dry at least a day between lathers, two is better.

Even without accelerated break-in mine started to soften after 7 or 8 uses. I would use a towel for 5 minutes to gently dry the tips after each use before hanging the brush in a holder, but I never soaked the Semogue brushes overnight in water. Full break-in, where the brush softens completely and stops consuming lather, can take several months. The premium grade bristles from Semogue take longer than most other boar hair to soften. Once the tips split, it is a wonderful brush. The banded Semogue bristles (e.g. 1305) are on the opposite end of the spectrum. They require very little break-in.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Will it become soft? If so, how long might it take?

Yes, eventually. I've got an SOC boar that I haven't really used much yet. My old Omega 10005 boar just keeps truckin'. I've been using that one about five years or so. Based on that and knowing that Semogues take a little longer than Omegas to break in (or so I've heard), I'd say in a year you'd have a really nice brush that would go like that for another 25 years.

How can I make this happen without using it on my face?

Simple. Give it to someone else for a year and let them use it on their face. :) I jest, but really you should only need to soak the brush in lukewarm water for about five minutes before using it. At first go easy, don't mash or splay it, just use the tips of the brush.

O.H.

Hentrox-be patient and you will be rewarded. I've had mine for eight years or so but was using it in a 4 brush rotation, so the break in took the better part of a year. You'll know when you get there.

lasta

Blade Biter
On top of the regular use/break in methods, don't me afraid to pluck.

There are some very thick strands and maybe even upside-down hairs that will never split. Find them then pluck away.

My SOC boar brush knot took about 50 uses until I considered it to be fully broken in. Unfortunately there were still some pointy bristles in that knot (couldn't detect them) which didn't loose their characteristics even with more uses.

I finally gave up. Life's too short to endure an uncomfortable shave. 🗑🤷‍♂️

On top of the regular use/break in methods, don't me afraid to pluck.

There are some very thick strands and maybe even upside-down hairs that will never split. Find them then pluck away.
This. I’ve done that to my Proraso and it transformed the brush.

It came full of upside down hairs. These will never split.

My SOC boar brush knot took about 50 uses until I considered it to be fully broken in. Unfortunately there were still some pointy bristles in that knot (couldn't detect them) which didn't loose their characteristics even with more uses.

I finally gave up. Life's too short to endure an uncomfortable shave. 🗑🤷‍♂️
This is my experience as well. I am using one and it has been through more than 40 cycles. Still uncomfortable.
From all the boar brushes I have, the SOC is the brush with the worst knot and the best handle. And that makes it the worst value brush to me.

Top Bottom