What's new

How to store razor collection

I think I’ll add here to the topic a photo of the razors that I had before the war, and what was left, as well as what was bought during the war, I’ll write after it ends. Or someone else will write this post for me. Anything happens...

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I'm a firm believer in "out of site out of mind" so for me I like to visually look at my collection of my razors and brushes.
I had a lot of fun collecting over the last 5 years and yes all these razors are used through out the year but some are favorites & do get used more often.
Some razors where gifted, some where won in raffles and bulk were bought over the years with not to many regrets at all.
I keep my rotational razors (41 different razors)in the master bedroom small bathroom but are all at arms reach every morning 365 days of the year.
(Each 6 inch long rack holds 8 razors) some are modified for Schick handles and some ASR razor handles that need a wider hole to hold them. Any one of these razors will give me DFS>BBS range no problem but it took a few years of using them to master some of the challenging ones . I also have some new razor heads that will be used off & on for variety & bought on inexpensive sales but mostly stored and some razors (doubles or damaged in plastic bin storage) .
Ron's razor collection 2022 of 41 rotation..jpg

I used 3 synthetic brushes for a couple of years and lately have been buying badger , boar and synthetic brushes in the last 3 years when sale deal comes up and the bulk are Yaqi brushes(no regrets).
My brushes are keep just outside the bathroom door (arms reach) and they are also displayed mostly for myself using my "out of sight out of mind" avoiding that known, all brushes are used through out the year and really no favorites because they are all my favorites with different face feels it seems I really enjoy with these brushes.
I will use a synthetic then usually a badger and followed with a boar brush in my large brush rotation through out the year.
If I use a brush the one behind it is brought forward and damp brush is put behind it so that way they all get used(spoiled shaver). All of these brushes are bought mostly on sale and don't regret it(Wife wonders:sneaky2:), a person does not need this many brushes obviously, but a bargain is hard to pass up living up north in Northern Alberta and retired + enjoy tradional wet shaving.
Brush dispaly of holding my brushes Aug 2022..jpg

Have some great shaves!

I'm a firm believer in "out of site out of mind" so for me I like to visually look at my collection of my razors and brushes.
I had a lot of fun collecting over the last 5 years and yes all these razors are used through out the year but some are favorites & do get used more often.
Some razors where gifted, some where won in raffles and bulk were bought over the years with not to many regrets at all.
I keep my rotational razors (41 different razors)in the master bedroom small bathroom but are all at arms reach every morning 365 days of the year.
(Each 6 inch long rack holds 8 razors) some are modified for Schick handles and some ASR razor handles that need a wider hole to hold them. Any one of these razors will give me DFS>BBS range no problem but it took a few years of using them to master some of the challenging ones . I also have some new razor heads that will be used off & on for variety & bought on inexpensive sales but mostly stored and some razors (doubles or damaged in plastic bin storage) .
View attachment 1503073
I used 3 synthetic brushes for a couple of years and lately have been buying badger , boar and synthetic brushes in the last 3 years when sale deal comes up and the bulk are Yaqi brushes(no regrets).
My brushes are keep just outside the bathroom door (arms reach) and they are also displayed mostly for myself using my "out of sight out of mind" avoiding that known, all brushes are used through out the year and really no favorites because they are all my favorites with different face feels it seems I really enjoy with these brushes.
I will use a synthetic then usually a badger and followed with a boar brush in my large brush rotation through out the year.
If I use a brush the one behind it is brought forward and damp brush is put behind it so that way they all get used(spoiled shaver). All of these brushes are bought mostly on sale and don't regret it(Wife wonders:sneaky2:), a person does not need this many brushes obviously, but a bargain is hard to pass up living up north in Northern Alberta and retired + enjoy tradional wet shaving.
View attachment 1503076
Have some great shaves!
I see you are a fan of GEM razors. I had before the war, and now I decided to replenish the collection with these copies again.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I see you are a fan of GEM razors. I had before the war, and now I decided to replenish the collection with these copies again.
Yes I enjoy my Gem(ASR) razors and you do not see many ASR razors in Canada and did not know about them until years ago I bought a few and just learned how to use them properly. They have a excellent razor system of holding single edge razor blades but they had some real competition with Gillette and Schick & Valet Auto-strop razors who all set up small factories in Canada before Gem did their marketing, ASR had some small blade manufacturing facility in Montreal or Toronto!
ASR had a different marketing approach and set up a factory in England from 1936-54 to sell products through out the British Commonwealth and that a weak approach but it saved all these tariff loop holes Countries had back then for domestic protection I figure.
Also learned they where a large umbrella of brand name companies making it very large corporation hardly anyone knows here in Canada.

I'm not a collector or hoarder but over the past decades, I've managed to acquire 10 safety razors. We have three wall cabinets in our main bathroom and I have the 10 razors lying on one shelf in the smallest cabinet. All in a row, handles towards the front so I can grab one when loaded with a blade and not have an accident. Perfect space for 10 and no more than 10 razors but each gets used an average of 36 times a year. None of my shaving gear is "displayed". It's there for me to use. If I want to ogle it, I open different cabinet doors (I sort of do that often as I have a few brushes, vintage bottles of Old Spice and a variety of soaps, creams, and aftershaves). My wife stows things like make-up in the bedroom and much of her personal items in the second bath. If we were smart, we'd each pick one.

I'm not a collector or hoarder but over the past decades, I've managed to acquire 10 safety razors. We have three wall cabinets in our main bathroom and I have the 10 razors lying on one shelf in the smallest cabinet. All in a row, handles towards the front so I can grab one when loaded with a blade and not have an accident. Perfect space for 10 and no more than 10 razors but each gets used an average of 36 times a year. None of my shaving gear is "displayed". It's there for me to use. If I want to ogle it, I open different cabinet doors (I sort of do that often as I have a few brushes, vintage bottles of Old Spice and a variety of soaps, creams, and aftershaves). My wife stows things like make-up in the bedroom and much of her personal items in the second bath. If we were smart, we'd each pick one.
Here's a picture of how I store mine:

fullsizeoutput_44c1.jpeg

Lots of great ideas. Anyone buy one of those fancy looking stands from Etsy? The smaller ones are $50-100 but the larger ones are $150 or more. I will likely make my own and modify it a bit for my own use since there isn't much wood in one and the cost should be minimal. His larger one holds 12 razors on the top row, 6-8 brushes on second row and the bottom is for soaps & bowls and such.

I figure I may make a wraparound one like this in an L shape for a corner and have one side be just like his with 12 razors on top & brushes on bottom row. Then the other side off the L be razors on both top and bottom to allow for 36 total razors.

Then again, I keep going back to just sticking with a 8-12 razor holder with brushes for the sink top and then making a fancy holder similar to this in a medicine style cabinet so it can be expanded over the years as my collection grows.

I'll see if I can include a couple photos from the ones on etsy... no affiliation from the guy and never even purchased anything on etsy so I have no idea how nice they are in person but can say you can make your own for a lot cheaper if you have the time and patience and a little hands on knowledge. But the price probably isn't too bad considering the time he puts into making them and how much money many members spend on their razors.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
I also found these on etsy for a good bit cheaper at about $20 per 6 razors and some models could be connected together. They appear to be 3d printed and available in multiple colors, although black is the obvious choice to me.

I think a perfect combination would be one of the fancy wooden racks like I showed above for the sink top to hold your most used 12 razors & 6 brushes and then use something like these 3d printed ones inside of a medicine cabinet to expand your collection as far as you want. You could also make these racks out of wood as well to save money. You should easily be able to fit 50 or so razors in a normal sized medicine cabinet. Or make a special cabinet off to the side in your bathroom with a clear window in the front to display all of the razors behind it.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Lots of great ideas. Anyone buy one of those fancy looking stands from Etsy? The smaller ones are $50-100 but the larger ones are $150 or more. I will likely make my own and modify it a bit for my own use since there isn't much wood in one and the cost should be minimal. His larger one holds 12 razors on the top row, 6-8 brushes on second row and the bottom is for soaps & bowls and such.

I figure I may make a wraparound one like this in an L shape for a corner and have one side be just like his with 12 razors on top & brushes on bottom row. Then the other side off the L be razors on both top and bottom to allow for 36 total razors.

Then again, I keep going back to just sticking with a 8-12 razor holder with brushes for the sink top and then making a fancy holder similar to this in a medicine style cabinet so it can be expanded over the years as my collection grows.

I'll see if I can include a couple photos from the ones on etsy... no affiliation from the guy and never even purchased anything on etsy so I have no idea how nice they are in person but can say you can make your own for a lot cheaper if you have the time and patience and a little hands on knowledge. But the price probably isn't too bad considering the time he puts into making them and how much money many members spend on their razors.
proxy.php

proxy.php
Those are very cool. Only problem I have with keeping stuff out by the sink is splash and splatter and having to clean stands and any items left sinkside. In a closed cabinet? Sure. When I shave, I have my razor, brush, bowl, and, perhaps, the cream/soap on the counter. Everything else (like toothbrushes) are set aside. Of course, I've got a small sink counter.

I like the idea of the test tube holder.
Test tubes make me think of DNA.
DNA makes me think that it would provide a Damn Nice Arrangement!
My test tube holder is sitting in my mailbox. We'll see how it is when I get home tonight. I ain't expecting a miracle for $13, but it should do for now. Better than having everything scattered everywhere!

My $12 rack arrived today. The quality is a joke but it was to be expected.
Feels like unfinished balsa wood!
(Look at the notches on the left. They glued it without clamping it together, LOL!!)
It'll do for now! At least I'm closer to fully organizing my stuff.
I'll get a nice one later on!

full

Top Bottom