What's new

How Often Should I use Reno Mat and/or Cream Polish?

I'm sure there will be varying opinions on this, but I'll ask anyway. I don't polish my shoes very often (maybe once/month), but that's partly due to the fact that I typically rotate between two 5+ year old Johnston & Murphy's that were no more than $150-200 (still look great, BTW). I'm considering an upgrade to a pair of Alden wingtips or cap toes, so plan to step up my care once I get them.

I've been using Saphir Renovator along with Saphir wax polish for my existing JM's. I recently bought some Saphir cream polish and Reno Mat to remove polish build up. My question is this: Once I begin polishing more frequently, how often should I use the Reno Mat and/or cream? I have zero experience with either, and I don't want to over do it or damage shoes.

I realize there are varying opinions on using cream vs wax vs Renovator by itself. So any response to my inquiry should assume I'm going to finish my polishes off with a wax.

I believe most people including myself overthink this in the beginning. adding the step of reno is frosting on the cake if you take good care with keeping them clean, reasonably frequently polished. you will sense when to start from scratch sort of with the reno cream. the quality of the leather on Aldens is quite good and they polish or wax up well. the only ones they tell you to not polish too much are cordovan shell. so after my long winded answer probably a couple times a year for reno and keep polishing like you have been.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I polish them when they no loner look good. You are more careful than me: I have to at least hit the toes with a quick bit of cream every two or three wearings.

strop

Now half as wise
I brush mine before and after every wearing, especially after. I usually use a wax polish after the cream, and when I can't bring back the polish after a wearing...it's time for the full polish.

Reno Mat is a strong polish remover, so I would only use it when something needs a deep cleaning. For example, a used shoe that has old polish on it, or if I got a stain or smudge on a shoe.

Renovateur is a mild neutral conditioner with a bit of cleaning. I've used it on new shoes to take off whatever the factory added (like AE shoes have a spray finish on them), used shoes that look dry, and to condition shoes that I don't want colored (boat shoes, casual boots, etc).

Cream polish is again a mild conditioner with a little color added. I use it to touch up scuffs that won't brush out every few wears (especially at the toe) and will do the entire shoe every 5-10 wears.

Lets say you polish your shoes weekly. I'd say that the following would be OK:

1) Touch up with wax polish weekly
2) Cream polish monthly
3) Renovateur every 3 months or so, or as needed if it looks dry.
4) Reno-mat annually, or every other year. Followed by a full Renovaetur -> Cream -> Wax polish regimen to bring it back to the desired level of shine.

Reno-mat is a very strong product, and you only really need to use it when your wax starts to look "caked on", or after 1-2 years so that your conditioning products can reach the leather itself and rejuvenate it. Repeated polishing can fill in the pores in the leather and make it difficult for your conditioners to make it to the leather itself.

Note that if you're only doing a light shine, and primarily use cream polishes, the Reno-Mat may not be needed at all on that pair.

Last edited:

2) Cream polish monthly
4) Reno-mat annually, or every other year. Followed by a full Renovaetur -> Cream -> Wax polish regimen to bring it back to the desired level of shine.

Great guide, thanks!

2) Cream polish monthly

I think this is spot on though I tend to cream polish more often than wax. Not sure if this is the right way but I've read that cream is better for the leather conditioning than wax so I try to use it as often as I can.

Also, I just used renomat on a pair of Santonis and I noticed that in the places where I rarely if ever put wax polish it seemed to remove a bit of the factory dye. It ended up looking good after I went back over it with the cream and provided a nice depth the shoes didn't have before but definitely something to keep in mind when using the renomat.

Clearly I'm some kind of heathen as I only polish my shoes when they look like they need it - which usually takes a few months of wear at work.

I agree, work on shoes when you see they need it. In time you'll see what each pair can look like and what treatment is needed to bring back their potential.

Know you won't harm the shoes, and in time you'll learn to know what they need.

Top Bottom