What's new

should I be dissatisfied with my Rockwell 6S?

Maybe a dumb question, but sincere. I started with DE razors about six months ago, with the Rockwell 6S. So far, it's been great. Close daily shaves, no irritation, no cuts or weepers (any more). I take 2.5 to 3 passes, using plate 5, Cella cream/soap, and a light touch. The result is (usually) a smooth face all over, even rubbing against the grain.

But as I've seen in recent threads, Rockwell is a brand that some experienced posters here have a low opinion of. (Others seem to like it well enough, however). The principle of YMMV is often set aside when it comes to Rockwell. The attitude I've seen is "it's OK to start with one, but anybody who really wants to see how good a modern DE razor can be should move on." (Not everybody thinks this, but enough do.)

So I'm at crossroads. I don't see myself trying a dozen or more razors on a quest for "the one." (There was another interesting recent thread on this topic.) I thought of trying one other one, maybe, in the $100 range, just to see how wide the difference is. I like the looks of the Karve Overlander. But I just watched a video (one guy's opinion, I know), and he compared its aggressiveness to the Rockwell on plate 3! (One of the prime beefs against the Rockwell is that it isn't aggressive enough, even on plate 6.)

So my question is this. Is there one other razor, ~$100 (or less), that you think best exposes the limitations of the Rockwell? Or will I have to try three, or seven, or twenty to find out?

Believe me, in other consumer areas, I've spent decades chasing down minuscule differences, looking for improvements. But I don't see myself doing that with DE razors.

Should I just accept the fact that I'm happy with the Rockwell? (Next up: do I need to try Proraso if I love Cella?)

@foppy — You asked for affirmation and got that in droves, including from a well respected vendor.

But deep down, those weren’t the answers you were looking for…

In reality, you needed B&B to support your desire to experiment with new razors, but the members fell for your “sincerity”, didn’t read between the lines, and therefore have utterly failed you. I will not make that mistake!

It’s time to move on. The 6S is not the razor for you. It lacks refinement and maneuverability. You deserve to experiment with at least a dozen modern razors until you find “the one”. Go on. Release the kraken! Go buy a Blackbird, go mix and match with Tatara, try that Overlander you’ve been eyeing. You won’t be happy until you do!

The thing that disappointed me with my first few DE razors was that they weren't aggressive enough to get a BBS under my jaw and on my neck. As a result I chased razors that were increasingly more aggressive until I found some l liked. I guess you don't have that issue or you'd be using plate 6, not 5?

Be happy with whatever works for you.

My Rockwell was perhaps my 6th purchase, having already bought and used a Parker 66R, my first DE after returning to 'wet' shaving, Gillette Slim, Merkur Progress, Gillette Tech, a real shoddy Minotaur, Mingshi 2000, and probably one or two others that I've forgotten about. It easily out performs those razors, giving the best combination of close & comfortable.

Since then, I've purchased and have a Timeless 95 OC, Gillette New SC, Gillette New LC, Gillette OLD Type, Karve CB D Plate which was traded for a Razorock Jaws 68, R41 Clone, PAA Filament Crystal, Fatip Lo Sorto OC, Rex Ambassador I won, and a few SE Razors (Schick Adjustable, GEM Micromatic Flying Wing, GEM Micromatic Open-Comb, and Yaqi Excalibur....and a few that also parted).

The Rockwell is the 'acid' test, with a limited few exceptions, grabbing Rocky and performing a final test-pass, always has him singing, and removing those barely noticeable bits left by the others. Pretty much nothing seems to get that final smooth as glass better than my Rockwell 6s. There are a couple which come close, or equal it, namely the Rex Ambassador pretty much matches it, but with a LOT more blade feel, and not quite the smooth shaver the Rockwell is. The Schick & GEM MMOC are probably the closes as far as feel and end results, provided you load a bonded Twin Blade into the Schick.

I'm actually looking to thin my den, knowing I only really use the same 3 or 4 razors for months now. There's absolutely nothing to regret or change, if you're happy with the shaves.

It's the smoothest Razor I own. Best shaves with the the 4 Plate and Astra blades. People are always saying Astra I sentry level and there's better but really I haven't found one. With other blades I haven't had much luck with it.

Getting the right combination Razor, blade and soap is always required. The 6S with the dozen or so I use turns out good. It might be me but it brings out the character of each of them. No razor I own does that.

I’ve been unsung the green Astra blades for like 15 years. Anyone who says that is just full of it.

I don’t think there’s some winning combination of gear though, I think it all boils down to technique. You can get used to and squeeze great shaves out of pretty much anything if you use it long enough and learn it well. And if you don’t develop your technique, it’s easy to move from razor to razor and blade to blade looking for that “winning combination,” but all the while you’re just moving further away from that by switching everything up all the time. Of course I don’t mean you specifically…

I’ve been unsung the green Astra blades for like 15 years. Anyone who says that is just full of it.

I don’t think there’s some winning combination of gear though, I think it all boils down to technique. You can get used to and squeeze great shaves out of pretty much anything if you use it long enough and learn it well. And if you don’t develop your technique, it’s easy to move from razor to razor and blade to blade looking for that “winning combination,” but all the while you’re just moving further away from that by switching everything up all the time. Of course I don’t mean you specifically…
Like they say, "It's not the arrow..."
I have Cherokee blood, fwiw

Reading over the responses makes me want to say thanks again to all.

I imagine I'll get another razor or two some day.

Lots of people have recommended the Razorock Game Changer. But I'm not sure it's for me, for a (maybe) superficial reason—the design doesn't speak to me. (Actually there's an even more superficial reason that I'm too embarrassed to mention.)

I find the Overlander, Blackbird, and Tatara razors, in their different ways, all very refined and elegant. And if I'm supplementing the Rockwell, which has a pretty generic design itself, I want something I think is beautiful.
Keep on mind that different guys have different face shapes, skin types, beard types, and shaving habits (every day, once a week, etc.) I have the Game Changer with .68 and .84 plates, and several other razors, most of which work very well for me. But I get by far the best shave from the 6S. From a cosmetic or aesthetic viewpoint, it's not great, but that means nothing to me. If you want something prettier, by all means go for it. Just don't worry too much about reviews from others. Including me. We're all at least a little different. Isn't that what makes life interesting?

Sub 100 based on Rockwell 6S plate 5? Razorock LUPO .95 OC or SB, Razorock GC .84 OC, Blackland ERA L5 SB or OC, YPM EH, Greencult Razor to name a few... all superior to the rockwell 6S for me. Take your pick, I don't think you will regret anyone of those.

Sub 100 based on Rockwell 6S plate 5? Razorock LUPO .95 OC or SB, Razorock GC .84 OC, Blackland ERA L5 SB or OC, YPM EH, Greencult Razor to name a few... all superior to the rockwell 6S for me. Take your pick, I don't think you will regret anyone of those.
That’s the spirit.:thumbsup:

Hey fellas, original poster back again.

If anybody's interested, I just got another razor, a Pearl Flexi, a gift from my wife (on a good Maggard's sale) after she returned a couple other shaving gifts that weren't quite right.

I know the Flexi isn't what many would recommend as an alternative to the Rockwell 6S.

But it's at least interesting. I admit the cap shape makes it easier to get in under the nose, and on rare occasions, I notice that the non-exposed tabs are an advantage. It's very nicely made. I've used it 7 times, starting at setting 1 (not much in the way of aggressiveness, but pleasant enough) and taking it day by day up to 6, then backing off to 4.5.

The shaves at around setting 4-5, I'd say, are much like the Rockwell around 4-5. Probably I'm not good enough to bring out the best in either.

I think maybe I'll just bite the bullet and get a ~$40 R41 and see how I do with a razor famed for aggressiveness.

We thought about the Green Cult, but my wife is stubborn when it comes to paying $20+ for shipping, despite the low price. And now they've changed it anyway.

I think maybe I'll just bite the bullet and get a ~$40 R41 and see how I do with a razor famed for aggressiveness.
The R41 is misunderstood in my opinion. It has a reputation that doesn't fall terribly short of reality, but at the same time if you treat it with respect you will be a-ok. It's surprisingly easy to tame if you have a steady hand, and I would recommend against getting the stainless model unless you know you'll be ok with the added weight. I tend to get better shaves from aggressive yet lightweight razors, so the normal R41 (not stainless) is ideal (to me) in that regard; that being said, I think the R41 GS is definitely in my top 5 razors, only supplanting the regular R41 because it's slightly smoother (and I'm used to the weight).

Good luck, it's a fantastic razor and one of my absolute favorites!

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
There is no "one" razor, only the journey and you don't need us to tell you that half the fun of this is those packages turning up at the door and the excitement you feel as you wait to use it to see if this is finally "the one" (hint, it never is)

I've only been using DE razors for about 7 months - somewhat of a newbie. I got an R41 from a fellow B&B member in the BST because I wanted to see if I could use an aggressive razor. You can really tell it's working. IMO you need to have good prep and some DE experience to use it effectively, but it's an very efficient razor. So far I like it.

The R41 is misunderstood in my opinion. It has a reputation that doesn't fall terribly short of reality, but at the same time if you treat it with respect you will be a-ok. It's surprisingly easy to tame if you have a steady hand, and I would recommend against getting the stainless model unless you know you'll be ok with the added weight. I tend to get better shaves from aggressive yet lightweight razors, so the normal R41 (not stainless) is ideal (to me) in that regard; that being said, I think the R41 GS is definitely in my top 5 razors, only supplanting the regular R41 because it's slightly smoother (and I'm used to the weight).

Good luck, it's a fantastic razor and one of my absolute favorites!
I totally agree that the R41 is a very misunderstood beast. It's not horrible in any sense of the word. I use the R41 GS and the weight along with the nice polish makes it a very comfortable razor to use, when treated with respect. There are more aggressive razors out there, like the Timeless Bronze Open Comb, which, by the way, can also give you a great shave if you treat her well.

At the end of the day, it's up to you to make each shave enjoyable. Happy shaves!

Top Bottom