What's new

ALWAYS seeking knowledge.

Hello, can someone school me on shoe care please. Recently I discovered that I love the end result from using the Saphir Cream Polish, ( I'm not chasing a mirror shine ie wax). I bought black for my Cap-Toes, which a lot of you nice people helped me find. So teach me about this Polish labeled Neutral. Can I use that to Polish any color? As many of you may know, I now have a pair of wingtips dark brown in my sights, naturally I say to self, " self let's buy some polish and shine these puppies up, while sipping on a Bourbon ". Would it be cost affective for me to buy 1 container of Polish maybe neutral rather than 1 for each future shoe color? I apologize if this doesn't make sense. I really am trying to use my $$$$ wisely. Thanks for reading this. Yuze people are always very helpful

In my experience and this is my opinion only, I have never really liked neutral polish. I'm a wax guy, not cream, so keep that in mind too. I use Saphir and Lincoln. Is there anything better than the smell of Saphir polish?!? I'm pretty hard on my shoes and find that neutral does nothing to hide the dings I put in them constantly. I don't wear "dress" shoes very often so those don't seem to suffer any from my neutral polish but my regular shoes and work boots always need cleaning and polishing. The colored wax polishes that I use help restore the leather cosmetically. I think that you will find that eventually you will need a colored cream to restore the depth and richness of the leather.

In my experience and this is my opinion only, I have never really liked neutral polish. I'm a wax guy, not cream, so keep that in mind too. I use Saphir and Lincoln. Is there anything better than the smell of Saphir polish?!? I'm pretty hard on my shoes and find that neutral does nothing to hide the dings I put in them constantly. I don't wear "dress" shoes very often so those don't seem to suffer any from my neutral polish but my regular shoes and work boots always need cleaning and polishing. The colored wax polishes that I use help restore the leather cosmetically. I think that you will find that eventually you will need a colored cream to restore the depth and richness of the leather.
Thanks, do you have any experience using a dauber to apply? Or is just a old t-shirt 4 you 🤔?

Thanks, do you have any experience using a dauber to apply? Or is just a old t-shirt 4 you 🤔?
Dauber all the way. I find it works the wax in better. It does mean that I have to have a dedicated dauber per color though. I also find a dauber reduces the mess involved.

Dauber all the way. I find it works the wax in better. It does mean that I have to have a dedicated dauber per color though. I also find a dauber reduces the mess involved.
Thanks great points, I can be very messy. But you don't feel that using the dauber you use more product?

Nailed it.

I personally use both Neutral and colored shoe polish.

The neutral one will help keep them shiny but will not cover any scuff whatsoever.

Thanks professor Google.
The term 'bulling' is used by the British military and refers to the method used to polish shoes or boots, giving leather a shine with a mirror-like finish

I'm guessing he's a authority on this subject?
The Mods think so, and I can venture as much that he is a fan of Saphir like many here.

417537B2-BFDD-4FC7-BF34-0AF44D1FBC0B.jpeg

Thanks great points, I can be very messy. But you don't feel that using the dauber you use more product?
Not really. After a few uses with a new dauber, the wax "load" is pretty lite. I can load a dauber and get an ever coat of polish for 1/2 of an engineer boot. I find with a rag I'm always dipping back into the tin.

Top Bottom