What's new

should I be dissatisfied with my Rockwell 6S?

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Close daily shaves, no irritation, no cuts or weepers (any more).

Dissatisfied? You should be thrilled! Shaving is a marriage of face/beard/razor/blade and technique. You're hitting a home run every time at bat. Here's a little secret: nobody on this forum is peeking in your bathroom window while you shave. We're all just sharing our own experiences.

So here's the clear and correct answer to your question (simply because I deem it so): have a great shave and smile all day long. Spend your money on too much soap.

If you're happy with your razor and don't want to collect or try them all, then I'd recommend not researching new razors. There will always be a new IT razor (or car, or house, or girl, or watch, etc) that everyone gushes over. If you want to try just because you enjoy using different razors, then go nuts. But if you're satisfied with the shave you're getting and you don't care to experiment, then you've won the game.

Quit while you're ahead or dive in deeper. Both are fine. But don't dive in just because some guy on a forum made you feel dumb for liking what you like.

+3! Very classy response!! :thumbup1::thumbup1:

I am not a collector but owned 6 differents DE before finding the one and only one i use daily ( Feather AS-D2 ). I owned a 6C and can said its a remarquable razor and with his 6 differents plates its easy to find another one who will have the same blade feel than the plate you like with your 6S. Rockwell are good razor but find them too bulky and hate exposed tabs, hard to shave under the nose.

Nobody says you have to move on from your 6s. I had mine and was happy with it for a long time. If it works for you, that’s great.

If you have the itch to find something that’s better that won’t break the bank, look at RazoRock, maybe a GameChanger or Lupo.
And RR’s Mamba 70 for reliable, comfortable daily shaves.

Virtually everyone i've spoken to regarding the 6C/S either has it in their top 3 (usually 1) or dislikes it. Where you fit on that spectrum is up to you. There are razors that are made 'better' with better materials but your 6S taken care of properly will probably outlive the next 2 generations of your family. If you feel you want a really high-end, milled titanium razor that has been polished and finished to have 0 imperfections and perfect tolerances, there are heaps of choices. They will cost more obviously. None of them will shave like the 6S because they aren't the 6S. Doesn't matter if its a razorock option either. The GC and the lupo are their own razors. Doesn't matter how nice or 'less nice' something is as long as YOU enjoy using it.

I think the first paragraph of your post tells it all - in my opinion. If you enjoy the Rockwell, and it checks all the boxes for you, why move on?

I have been on the forum long enough to know that I have been left scratching my head as to some member's opinions on razors - both good and bad - so I look for as close to a consensus as I can; however, YMMV. That said, I think the Rockwell 6C and 6C is pretty well liked on B&B.

BTW - I have the 6S and love it. I'll even throw it into the rotation next week!

For what my opinion’s worth I only acquired a 6s last September after having been DE shaving for 8.5 years at that point. I got by with a Wilkinson Sword Classic, Edwin Jagger DE89 and a Merkur Futur for the first 4.5. The DE89 was my most frequently used.

I‘ve found the 6s on plate 5 or 6 to be outstanding for delivering a very comfortable and efficient shave. I still get that increased blade exposure feel when using it on plate 5 or 6 but it’s very comfortable. In short I think it‘s a superb razor. If you were going to try another maybe try out an open comb or something like the Merkur Futur? The weight of the Futur compared to a Rockwell 6s is definitely a different experience in Itself but the two feel different on their respective plate 6 and setting 6! I think the 6s is more forgiving of the two.

I own a Rockwell 6S along with a large collection of razors. Personally I'm one of those people that not just loves, but has to have variety. I don't use the same razor consecutively. I've been highly curious my whole life. It's just part of who I am.

A big part of the reason I found the 6S intriguing is that it comes with multiple base plates. I've used 4, 5 and 6 on different days simply depending on how I feel. So far so good.

I'm not going to say it's my favorite razor but I genuinely like it. That's no matter what any other person's opinion (or review) of it is.

For me, my honest assessment is that it's heavy. It's basically a tank of a razor. That's the only criticism I have of the 6S. I also own an Edwin Jagger DE89 and mentally compare the two simply because the DE89 is heavy as well. But that's neither here not there.

I think the 6S provides me a great shave but as we all learn, a great shave depends not on the tools you use, but on how well you use the tools. Well, I have to dial that statement back a little. A quality tool will often work more as you expect it should, giving you less frustration and will typically last longer.

With that said, keep in mind that shaving is a skill. A skill that's hard to master. We can all agree that the act of shaving comes with a lot of variables. So unless you use the same razor and blade everyday (to help limit the variables), you're going to have to include the other important ingredient...attention/focus. You should be included this anyway for safety concerns but we all lose focus from time to time. Am I right?

At the end of the day, don't feel bad if you're doing something you enjoy. Like wet-shaving with your Rockwell 6S. Don't feel disappointed and ruin the experience for yourself. Not for any reason. Just do you.

This forum is a wonderful place to come and ask questions, to gather information from and to share your shaving (among other things) experience. I know there are tons of people here that will help you in any way they can. Myself included.

Keep on truckin' with your 6S and as I like to say.... Live and let live.

Reading over the responses makes me want to say thanks again to all.

I imagine I'll get another razor or two some day.

Lots of people have recommended the Razorock Game Changer. But I'm not sure it's for me, for a (maybe) superficial reason—the design doesn't speak to me. (Actually there's an even more superficial reason that I'm too embarrassed to mention.)

I find the Overlander, Blackbird, and Tatara razors, in their different ways, all very refined and elegant. And if I'm supplementing the Rockwell, which has a pretty generic design itself, I want something I think is beautiful.

......I find the Overlander, Blackbird, and Tatara razors, in their different ways, all very refined and elegant. And if I'm supplementing the Rockwell, which has a pretty generic design itself, I want something I think is beautiful.
Karve, Blackland, and Tatara are excellent choices. I would also add Lambda.

L cseopn.jpg

Hmmm, lets see...you like the 6S, you like the shave, you like the result. Ok. What's your point? You wanna try other razors...why not? Exposing the 6S shortcomings...what does that even mean? It works for you. But if you want to try other razors...please do. That's the fun part. I currently have 13 razors which I really like, some I love and one I adore. Its up to you pal, you want to experiment...go ahead, but be warned...it can be addictive.

If it shaves to your satisfaction, it doesn't much matter what other folks say. If you're just looking to get another razor, consider a vintage. They're affordable, and demand for vintage razors is largely driven by their decades of proven performance. Get an older brass Tech, or keep an eye out or a Goodwill, or new Short Comb. You won't be disappointed.

Hmmm, lets see...you like the 6S, you like the shave, you like the result. Ok. What's your point? You wanna try other razors...why not? Exposing the 6S shortcomings...what does that even mean? It works for you. But if you want to try other razors...please do. That's the fun part. I currently have 13 razors which I really like, some I love and one I adore. Its up to you pal, you want to experiment...go ahead, but be warned...it can be addictive.
The point is I might be missing something I'd like even more. Fool's paradise, that sort of thing.

The point is I might be missing something I'd like even more. Fool's paradise, that sort of thing.

Well, watch that first step into the rabbit hole. It can be steep.

If you like the 6s using plate 4 or 5, I suggest a stainless steel Lupo 72 from Razorock. More efficient, more “nimble” head, super nice shaves and won’t break the bank. It’s the razor that caused me to let go of my 6s.

I never committed to any cheap or budget priced razors, instead I opted to go full send on the best razor within my budget and personal tastes. One DE purchase and done. I had a perfectly fine freebie DE but the itch to step my shave game up was too strong. No regrets and I still get excited about grabbing for my nice razor every morning.

Maybe a dumb question, but sincere. I started with DE razors about six months ago, with the Rockwell 6S. So far, it's been great. Close daily shaves, no irritation, no cuts or weepers (any more). I take 2.5 to 3 passes, using plate 5, Cella cream/soap, and a light touch. The result is (usually) a smooth face all over, even rubbing against the grain.

But as I've seen in recent threads, Rockwell is a brand that some experienced posters here have a low opinion of. (Others seem to like it well enough, however). The principle of YMMV is often set aside when it comes to Rockwell. The attitude I've seen is "it's OK to start with one, but anybody who really wants to see how good a modern DE razor can be should move on." (Not everybody thinks this, but enough do.)

So I'm at crossroads. I don't see myself trying a dozen or more razors on a quest for "the one." (There was another interesting recent thread on this topic.) I thought of trying one other one, maybe, in the $100 range, just to see how wide the difference is. I like the looks of the Karve Overlander. But I just watched a video (one guy's opinion, I know), and he compared its aggressiveness to the Rockwell on plate 3! (One of the prime beefs against the Rockwell is that it isn't aggressive enough, even on plate 6.)

So my question is this. Is there one other razor, ~$100 (or less), that you think best exposes the limitations of the Rockwell? Or will I have to try three, or seven, or twenty to find out?

Believe me, in other consumer areas, I've spent decades chasing down minuscule differences, looking for improvements. But I don't see myself doing that with DE razors.

Should I just accept the fact that I'm happy with the Rockwell? (Next up: do I need to try Proraso if I love Cella?)
If you are happy with your 6S there is no reason to acquire other razors unless you want to collect them or experiment. My go-to is a basic Weishi 9306 long handle (considered even more of a starter razor than the 6S) that has worked well for me since I returned to DE shaving 2&1/2 years ago. Eventually added a milder King C. Gillette to the mix for some variety but use the Weishi most of the time since it is more efficient.

With the many plates that come with the 6S I suspect you can determine your ideal aggressiveness level without changing razors.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I would suggest a Razorock Lupo.72 or .95 and there are lots of base plates to choose from now. The machining QC is high with a good finish and made from 316 stainless steel for under $70 US and a extra baseplate costs around $37 US.
The Razorock Game changer series is another great one that has lots of options from mild to aggressive plates with different plates that can be added starting at $55 US for razor and handle made of 316 SS and $30-35 US for a base plate addition.
RR GC has more to offer for milder razors that some fellows enjoy more than a aggressive razors IMO.
I have both the Razorock Lupo.72 and RR Game changer .84 and they are well made and priced to be affordable + if you spend over $60 US you get trackable free shipping also.
If you like those mild razors to aggressive stay with the 316 stainless steel RR Game changer series IMO.
If you like the mid range or higher stay with the 316 stainless steel Lupo series of razors IMO.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Rockwell is a brand that some experienced posters here have a low opinion of. (Others seem to like it well enough, however).
Seriously. I have bought many razors more expensive (by several multiples than the Rockwell). If the thing delivers a great shave, THAT is what matters, not that Bob who enjoys paying 6 times as much as he needs to for a furnace filter thinks the Rockwell an "ok" entry level shaver. To heck with Bob's opinion, what is YOURS?

Me I really like the Rockwell. If you think the Weishi is better or the Wolfman not as good, I don't care. You are not me.

Get that mind set and you stand to save a lot of money.

Top Bottom