What's new

How much water do you use when shaving?

The title question should be self-explanatory. I am interested in rather accurate measurements, not just guesses. Include the water you send down the drain waiting for it to get up to temperature before you start and the water you use rinsing everything out. In general, all water usage. Of course, this assumes that you are shaving at the sink and not in the shower.

I will be trying to get an accurate fix on my own water usage. I hope to keep it at between 1 and 1 - 1/2 gallons per shave.

Iah guess Iah will have to measure the water in the pitcher that the wimmen give me to shave with. It's pretty hot when the bring it, but by the time Iah pour it into the bowl, and finish using it, it is lathery and cold.

Two sink fulls...equals 2.75 gallons. Is it a big deal? I guess I don't understand the intent of your question. This isn't going to turn into some kind of environmental whacko rant is it? That in mind I am all for being responsible.

Where I live now, the house runs on well water, and the first time I turn on the faucet, the water smells pretty bad. I have to let it run for at least a minute, not only to get up to temperature, but also for the smell to subside. And on top of that, I let the faucet run for the length of my shave.

I'm not sure how I would go about measuring this in terms of gallons, though.

FWIW, I once had my water turned off while the town did some maintenance. I knew in advance, so I could store up some water in preparation. I found I could perform my ablutions, i.e. wash my face, brush my teeth, shave, with as little as half a cup of water.

Two sink fulls...equals 2.75 gallons. Is it a big deal? I guess I don't understand the intent of your question. This isn't going to turn into some kind of environmental whacko rant is it? That in mind I am all for being responsible.

No, that was not my intent, so if it does turn in that direction, it won't be my doing.

I just finished shaving and used 1 - 3/4 gallons, a bit more than I had anticipated. I use two Granite Ware basins, a 4 qt and a 1 qt size. I use the 1-qt size to swish out my razor and the larger pan to soak washcloths.

Perhaps I should explain my interest in this topic. In the next few months, I anticipate moving into a living situation (remote home, off grid) in which water will not be available on-demand. It may have to be stored up, or trucked in in some fashion. Hence, I need to find out what amount of water it takes to shave, by which I mean shave at least somewhat comfortably. Probably more than half a cup, I would guess, but maybe not as much as the 1 - 3/4 gallons which I used just now..

I'm probably the other extreme. Approx two shaving mugs full of hot water (sometimes straight from the kettle as I usually coincide a cup of tea with having a shave before bed) and enough to wet a towel to wash my face afterwards.

I would wager between a 1/2 to a gallon from soaking the brush to rinsing the face. I know you said no guesses, but I don't generally measure a specific amount, so I'm going by roughly how much my shaving bowl holds along with what I use to rinse the razor and my face, plus the amount I use for lather building purposes.

I can get by on one half sinkful. And it's a smallish sink. Plus, I live in one of the driest states in Australia, so we're used to being frugal with water.

The amount you 'need' to shave with at present, is neither here nor there. It's what you can get by with. And you can get by with an awful lot less.

One sink full + a little before while it warms up and a bit after for clean up, so about a gallon and a half, I'd say.

I can't say that I ever considered it but I would imagine 1 1/2 to 2 sinks full.

I usually fill a sink and wash in it first then use the water for soaking my brush and dipping my mug. Then it's just for cleaning off my razor while shaving.
When i'm done I empty it and run the cold tap for some ice cold water to clean any remaining lather off my face and from my brush etc.

I fill my scuttle twice and use the water from the scuttle to wet the brush, so that's 2 liters right there. Running the water until it's hot and rinsing the brush afterwards is probably another liter. So, in all, about 3/4 of a gallon.

In military basic training, no matter how many sinks and how many commodes are available for use, you are only allowed to use the first two. It's very simple, the others don't have to be inspection cleaned every morning and night.

The second thing you are taught is to leave the water running. Again, very little to clean later as the residue does not accumulate in the sink.

Consequently, I leave the water running for a three pass shave.

Water is fairly cheap here in Gurley. The minimum water bill is $14.50 a month whether you use it or not.

Last edited:
Perhaps I should explain my interest in this topic. In the next few months, I anticipate moving into a living situation (remote home, off grid) in which water will not be available on-demand. It may have to be stored up, or trucked in in some fashion. Hence, I need to find out what amount of water it takes to shave, by which I mean shave at least somewhat comfortably. Probably more than half a cup, I would guess, but maybe not as much as the 1 - 3/4 gallons which I used just now..

If water is going to be that tight the amount we let go down the drain waiting for the water to get hot doesn't really count (you won't be doing that). You could get a coffee pot and heat up about 2 liters and have plenty, unless, of course, you don't have electricity.

I think leaving the water running has two disadvantages:

1) it is wasteful

2) the sound of the running water makes it harder to hear your shave.

I use sound a great deal to provide feedback about my technique as I shave.

Top Bottom