What's new

How many pairs of shoes (casual and dress) should a man have?

I have 10 pairs...

black loafers
brown loafers
black bluchers
brown bluchers
black boots
brown boots
brown sandals
tan sandals
black sandals
white sneakers

I don't believe I am considered average because I have 12 pairs of shoes not including two pairs of running shoes (I only wear running shoes to run) and 2 pairs of boots.

My guess, the average young adult (25-35) would have in his closet:
1 pair of black lace ups (he couldn't differentiate between types) for business and funerals
1 pair of top siders (he wears thinking its business casual)
1 pair of running shoes (his go to shoe for casual wear which is most of the time)
1 pair of flip flops (his really casual shoe for summer wear)

I'm willing to bet that the black lace ups probably don't even have a leather sole.

I think a "minimum equipment list" should include at least one of each:

black cap toe balmoral
black semi-brogued (cap toed)balmoral
black "wing tip" (brogued) blucher
cordovan "wing tip" (brogued)blucher
brown or cordovan loafer
top sider

Athletic shoes are optional as they in my opinion are for the sole purpose of exercising and are not to be worn as a casual shoe. If you do run regularly, then a minimum of two pairs are in order as to rotate them daily in order to thoroughly dry between use.

Last edited:
I'm not the average man either. I have twenty pairs of shoes, and sometimes I still tend to look for more shoes (this time, I could really use a nice pair of motorcycle boots, waterproof chelsea boot from Timberland, and another pair of Doc Martens.)

I have:

1 black captoe
1 dark brown captoe
1 light honey brown cap toe
1 oxblood wingtip
2 light brown loafers
2 dark brown loafers
2 black loafers
various lather sandals and flip flops

Looking for a light and dark brown and black wingtip.

Last edited:
I have plenty of shoes, but I believe that every man should have at least a pair of the following:

Brown lace-ups
Brown loafers
Black lace-ups
Black loafers
Boat shoes (Sperry's)
Boots (maybe with Goretex to be waterproof)
Running/Cross-trainer shoes
Sandals (be it flip flops or Chacos/Tevas style)

According to many here I am missing several crucial pieces, but I seem to get by just fine with:

1 pair black oxfords (my primary office shoe for business casual and with suits)
1 pair brown loafers (my primary casual shoe and alternative for business casual)
1 pair running shoes
1 pair of sandals (only worn at the pool or beach).

As many as possible.

proxy.php

I think you just inadvertently called me out on another AD:

Brown boat shoes (work/fishing)
Brown oxfords
Brown chukka boots
Steel toes
black wingtips (formal)
black oxfords
brown sandals
white sandals
white sneakers
black sneakers
Volleyball shoes
football cleats
golf shoes (2)
running shoes
crosstrainers for weightlifting

Umm....do ski boots count too? Dear me.

From answerbag.com: "According to a 2006 survey conducted on Time.com, the average man owns 12 pairs of shoes, with almost two-thirds of men owning 10 pairs or less. Women own more than double that of men, with 27 pairs on average."

Let's see what we have here:

2 black oxfords (Florsheim square toe, AE Wendell)
1 brown captoe
1 Asics Kayano sneakers
2 K-Swiss sneakers
1 Sperry boat shoes
1 Footjoy golf saddle shoes
2 Sidi riding boots
2 Shimano bike shoes
1 brown Rainbow flip flops
1 Ugg slippers

And I think that's it for now.

2 pair Dunham plain toe oxford-black,brown
2 pair Ecco loafers-black, brown
1 pair Allen Edmonds cap-toe balmoral- black
1 pair Allen Edmonds- balmoral-brown
1 pair Johnston & Murphy basket-weave loafers-brown
1 pair Johnston & Murphy Chukka boots, lace-ups-brown
1 pair Asics running shoes
1 pair Cobian flip-flops
1 pair Reef flip-flops
1 pair Footjoy plain toe oxford golf shoes-black

I guess I'm pretty average . I probably have more than I need. Buy good shoes and they will last a long time. :thumbup:

Last edited:
I would say essential is:

1 black lace up formal, 1 brown casual both in leather, a pair of light boat shoes for summer and some kind of athletic shoe - running shoes work well.

Beyond that it's largely pride of ownership I think. I have about 10 pairs.

Counting hiking, golf and the 6 pairs of dress shoes I use for work I have 89. I'm an Ex-Nike employee and my closet is just sick full of shoes. 22 pairs of those are air-max 95's,(my favorite). Countless others are all brand new never worn. At one time I had over 130 pairs...it was a sick habit. I know just stupid,but now instead Shoe AD I have Razor AD. If it's not one thing its another.

Randall, what are the names of your Allen Edmonds shoes?

The black ones are "Fifth Avenue". I originally posted that the brown ones were split toe. They are not. They actually look like the Del Rey (?), but without the split line at the toe. Mine are called the Burton. Both pairs are outstanding shoes.

Shoes, boots (work, hiking, winter, etc), runners total about 8 pairs. Does not include government issued footware.

2 pairs of RM Williams one black and one dark tan, one pair of running shoes, one pair of sandals.

I might get a second pair of blacks so I can rotate them and make them last a little longer.

Top Bottom