What's new

How many of you are thinking about signing up for the 2014 Sabbatical?

The 2014 Sabbatical is closer then you think, what are your thoughts?

• Yes, I will be joining, even if it's NO exceptions.

• No, I will not be joining if there are NO exceptions.

• I will only join if there are exceptions.

• I will not be a part of any Sabbatical nonsense.

• Undecided at this point and I will decide closer to sign up.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Considering the additional spree I've made lately, I'm going to give it some serious thought.

Just added up, probably about $325 worth of shaving stuff I've bought in the last few months. Pretty ridiculous.

I've got a list of stuff to move and while there's still a thing or two I'd like to try, I'd like to see how long I can last in 2014.

This year, and I'm sure with past Sabbaticals it has been based on the honour system.

If someone was to ask for a GC, receive a GC and spend such GC and still claim to be, then so be it. Until someone claims "I'm Out", they are still in the sabbatical.

Now if someone goes and posts about a new soap or razor they purchased and it's discovered, they can expect a PM if noticed and asking if they are still in or not. See, even with the "No Exceptions" there will be some debates and discussions as to what's allowed and what's not.

Everyone knows what the rules are and it's up to each individual to follow them. It would be pretty low and pathetic for someone to lie and stay in a shave sabbatical.

In the end, it's all for fun so no point in trying to get around the rules.

This year, and I'm sure with past Sabbaticals it has been based on the honour system.

If someone was to ask for a GC, receive a GC and spend such GC and still claim to be, then so be it. Until someone claims "I'm Out", they are still in the sabbatical.

Now if someone goes and posts about a new soap or razor they purchased and it's discovered, they can expect a PM if noticed and asking if they are still in or not. See, even with the "No Exceptions" there will be some debates and discussions as to what's allowed and what's not.

Everyone knows what the rules are and it's up to each individual to follow them. It would be pretty low and pathetic for someone to lie and stay in a shave sabbatical.

In the end, it's all for fun so no point in trying to get around the rules.

I agree that no exceptions means no exceptions. A person cannot help, nor can he refuse the offer of a gift. USE of that gift would render a strict "no exceptions" sabbatical failed, in my book. You're a much kinder, gentler sabbatical boss than I would be. But then again... I'm still not in. :lol:

I agree that no exceptions means no exceptions. A person cannot help, nor can he refuse the offer of a gift. USE of that gift would render a strict "no exceptions" sabbatical failed, in my book. You're a much kinder, gentler sabbatical boss than I would be. But then again... I'm still not in. :lol:

Is that your way of saying you are going to head up the 2014 Sabbatical :wink2:

In my eyes, gifts are not to be rejected. But if you prompt for them, you are only fooling yourself. If I was to get a gift from my parents or inlaws, I'd gladly use it as they don't even know I'm in a sabbatical and are unlikely to purchase out of the blue shave items for me. But if M&D show up one day with a bottle of AV or something they thought I'd like, I'm going to say "thanks" and start using it.

I'm also in the thought of GiftCards should not be spent during a Sabbatical, whether it's your money or someone else's.

I am in. I wanted to be in for this year and last year, but I knew that I'd be kidding myself. I admit that I'm a shaving hoarder and I need help. I have way too much shaving gear to last more than a lifetime. Joining I hope will help me.

I'll give it an honest try. The hoarding must stop!

I do need the B&B group buys as exceptions, though. I may want the 2014 LE pipe...

Ok. So I just started wet shaving, and you can call me a noob... but what is this sabbatical? Making no shave purchases for an entire year from what I can gather? When does it start? Since I'm new I suppose I could buy up a few things. I'm very happy with my merkur 38c for now, I'd just need to stockpile some blades and shave soap and i'd be good.. I think ;) When does it start?

I know my wife would be happy, before I go crazy buying new stuff left and right, hahah.

Last edited:
Ok. So I just started wet shaving, and you can call me a noob... but what is this sabbatical? Making no shave purchases for an entire year from what I can gather? When does it start? Since I'm new I suppose I could buy up a few things. I'm very happy with my merkur 38c for now, I'd just need to stockpile some blades and shave soap and i'd be good.. I think ;) When does it start?

it's a thread that starts up mid December and officially starts Jan 01.

NO Purchases for the year is right, no hinting at items from loved ones, no asking for Gift Cards, no getting someone else to buy it for you etc.

generally it's for established dens and people who have too much stuff or find themselves spending too much money or just want to see if they can do it. but there are no minimum requirements or posts counts or membership start dates etc, it's open to anyone and everyone. Some joined this year on a whim and we never heard from them again, so I sent out a 4 month "reminder PM" to see if people were still in and we lost a few people because they had joined and then forgotten all about it.

i had/have a lot of stuff, but did not join the 203 Sabbatical for financial reasons but more for the fun of it and to see if I could actually do it...which I will.

Last edited:
Ok Im very close to committing to the Sabbatical now. I will need all the support I can get and I have to stay away from the bay and BST badly

Ok Im very close to committing to the Sabbatical now. I will need all the support I can get and I have to stay away from the bay and BST badly

Move to Europe ... the outrageous shipping costs will help you greatly lol!

I'd like (in some way) to get back to the one soap / one razor routine I had before joining B&B. Buying multiple soaps, creams, razors, and aftershaves is not going to make my shaving better than it was ... only more expensive.

Move to Europe ... the outrageous shipping costs will help you greatly lol!

I'd like (in some way) to get back to the one soap / one razor routine I had before joining B&B. Buying multiple soaps, creams, razors, and aftershaves is not going to make my shaving better than it was ... only more expensive.

or Canada. $canada-flag-14.gif

I can't even get some stuff in Canada if I wanted (Nancy Boy, SCS etc). plus buying anything with $100 value or more, adds $30 duty and fees.

Top Bottom