What's new

How long does shaving take for you?

Around 10 minutes.
A quick, just presentable outcome one pass hybrid shave with-across grain with canned goo about two minutes max.

I started wet shaving with a DE back in February or March 2020. I was doing 20+ minutes for the longest time, bowl lathering mostly. With Covid, I don't really have to be anywhere so there was no reason to rush.

More recently as my shaving technique has improved, I have been face lathering and trying to speed things up a bit. I can do a good two pass shave in ten minutes if I need to.

Mostly I have learned to stop going over my face with makeup passes too many times. It's unnecessary and leads to irritation for me so quick and efficient is better I find. Perfect is the enemy of good, and all that.

This morning my stopwatch said 20 minutes as I left the bathroom -- and that is clocking only from the time I applied my lather, not the time applying a little soap as a pre-shave, mixing up baking soda in the sink water, etc. The entire grooming session, shower and all, took about 45 minutes. But that's unusual.

This morning my stopwatch said 20 minutes as I left the bathroom -- and that is clocking only from the time I applied my lather, not the time applying a little soap as a pre-shave, mixing up baking soda in the sink water, etc. The entire grooming session, shower and all, took about 45 minutes. But that's unusual.
I'm curious, what's the reason for the baking soda in the sink? Is it to help prevent clogging?

It takes me about an hour from walking into the bathroom to walking out the bathroom. That includes a 20 minute shower and a post-shave face wash as well as all cleanup time.

The actual shaving time (including lathering) takes about 15-20 minutes. I neither rush nor prolong my shave, but I do enjoy it.

I looked at the clock today. I had a DFS shave in less than 5 minutes: splash of warm water in the face, lathering with shave cream and synthetic brush, three quick almost careless passes (w-x-a), cold water rinse, post shave balm, done.

I'm curious, what's the reason for the baking soda in the sink? Is it to help prevent clogging?
No, it's to cancel much of the hard water my area is afflicted with. It makes the water more slippery -- I can feel the difference between it and the regular tap water. There's supposed to be a product called citric acid which really does make the water softer. But I haven't been able to find it in stores . . . and baking soda is a lot cheaper.

If the soda actually does help prevent clogging, that's all to the good.

I absolutely looooove shaving daily but to be honest, the total time for my 4 passes is around 40 minutes and this is my only issue with daily shaving.

I wish I could complete my shave in under 20 minutes but it's just not possible.

Counting the time of selection of the soap, brush and razor, a three passes shave takes me 20 minutes. This is my standard time.

Maybe 10 mins or so but I recall a time after a 4am session in Osaka and I overslept the alarm, it took about 30 seconds, while showering. Closest I have come to missing a flight, got to check in just as they were closing(!)

about 45 minutes to an hour for me (DE). New to this whole thing and since I’m still taking my time and shave at night there is never any rush. Includes a shower beforehand, slight touch ups, and a 4 step after shave routine (in this order: general acne wash, a tiny bit of blackhead scrub on my nose, mustache and chine area, then cold water alum block time, then after shave to moisturize) oh and then clean up of the sink area and then razor and blade wipe down. I’ve never enjoyed shaving so much

Not counting the shower, i'd say somewhere between 10-20 minutes depending on the razor I choose. I always go for a 3-pass shave in order to achieve a nice BBS.

Top Bottom