What's new

How long does shaving take for you?

Facelather 3 pass no soaking (synthetic brush), well have not taken time, but its more close to 10min than 5min

I looked at the watch laying by the sink and with a hard soap and my silvertip it took 12 minutes from the time I started making the lather to cleaning up. That is two full passes and a third on my neck. So I would gather my estimate of 8-10 minutes using a soft soap is pretty close. I already had the soap pressed into the lather bowl from the last shave so I would add another minute or more to carve a slice and press it into the bowl.

My total time in the bathroom, including a 20 minute shower and cleaning up the counter after my shave was about 40 minutes tonight. Half of that time was spent showering (and toweling dry afterward).

Granted, I only did two complete passes (WTG & ATG) and some touchups on my usual trouble spots, my total shaving time (including making lather) came to about 10 minutes. Cleanup took me roughly another 10 minutes, which also included time applying alum, aftershave splash, and aftershave balm.

I've had longer shaves in the past. It's usually a matter of how efficient the blade and razor work together in providing the shave. With certain blades, I can achieve a BBS in ten minutes, like tonight, yet, it's still completely unrushed and relaxed (I was listening to opera arias on my stereo in the other room).

Preparing the gear and face 1-60 min. *
Brushing 3-5 min.
Shaving 2 min. (1 pass only)
Cleaning stuff 3 min.
Applying alum/antiseptic 2 min.

*includes boiling water, putting my razor + brush + stand in a big enough mug + pouring the water below brush glue level (to cover the razor and brush hairs) and waiting to cool, if I deem the gear too dirty. On some days, I shave cold - this is the express procedure

Preparing the gear and face 1-60 min. *
Brushing 3-5 min.
Shaving 2 min. (1 pass only)
Cleaning stuff 3 min.
Applying alum/antiseptic 2 min.

*includes boiling water, putting my razor + brush + stand in a big enough mug + pouring the water below brush glue level (to cover the razor and brush hairs) and waiting to cool, if I deem the gear too dirty. On some days, I shave cold - this is the express procedure

Just curious, but boiling water on a brush seems rather...harsh?

Sunday: (post shower) pre-shave oil, lathering each pass, 3 pass shave, polishing, wash, aftershave: 15 minutes
Weekdays: (post shower) lathering each pass, 2 pass shave, aftershave, 7 minutes
Saturday: (post shower) 1 pass WTG shave, additional pass where misses are obvious, 2-3 minutes

This does not include prep like making lather or soaking the brush, nor does it include clean-up.

Some days ago I took my watch to the bathroom to actually check. First I shower while the brush is soaking after the shower I started the stopwatch. From that I begin building the lather until I have done two passes and shaken the brush and put back the equipment it went 2 minutes 40 seconds. I do a two pass shave: WTG & ATG, and I lather my face before both passes.

Why time? Just enjoy your alone time. If you're married or have kids, you'll know what I'm talking about. I've been shaving with electrics, injectors, carts and DE's since the early 60s. I have always tried to make shaving MY time. Time to relax - time for everyone to leave me alone. Even before I retired almost 11 years ago, I shaved late at night so I wasn't fighting with the wife and daughters for bathroom time in the mornings. I do notice that since moving last December from a house where I had installed a heater/exhaust fan in the bathroom, to a ground floor apartment with a colder bathroom, I tend to shave less frequently, and much quicker these days.

The prep costs me more time than the shave
-hot water in sink to preheat bowl, razor, brush and towel. 3-5min
-rub face with paa pre shave cube 1min
-lay down with hot towel on face, do some breathing excercises. 5min
-build lather and shave 5-8min
-clean bowl, brush, sink, razor 3min.

If I excercise prior I tend to shave in the shower steam room and that skips shortens some steps.

My routine is to prep everything for the shave, including pressing a small amount of soap into the bottom of my lather bowl and covering it with a small amount of water, then proceeding to take a shower before building lather and the actual shave. I timed myself this afternoon and from when i first pulled the equipment out of the cabinet until I had cleaned up and put everything away was 20 minutes (excluding shower time).

So, that's twenty minutes for a two pass shave, wtg and xtg, plus getting everything out and putting it away.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
My routine is to prep everything for the shave, including pressing a small amount of soap into the bottom of my lather bowl and covering it with a small amount of water, then proceeding to take a shower before building lather and the actual shave. I timed myself this afternoon and from when i first pulled the equipment out of the cabinet until I had cleaned up and put everything away was 20 minutes (excluding shower time).

So, that's twenty minutes for a two pass shave, wtg and xtg, plus getting everything out and putting it away.
With a bit more experienced you should be able to double that 20 minutes to about 40 minutes or more of enjoyment.

Definitely longer than my wife's preferences
25 to35 minutes depending ond the music i choose for the shave
If it's Lighting Hopkins it could take longer

I can strop the razor, shower, brush teeth, put on deodorant, shave, and clean up in a little under 30 minutes. The act of shaving or shaving prep accounts for probably about half my time. Under 15 minutes on most days for a BBS (2 1/2 passes) shave.

Top Bottom