What's new

How long does shaving take for you?

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
I get up at 5 and don’t have to be at work until 8. I have a 20 minute commute, so I have over 2 1/2 hours to eat breakfast, shower, shave and get dressed. Of course I have to go to bed at 8:30 in order to get up at 5.

Almost forgot, I have no kids at home.
My ambition is that one day I'll have no kids at home

My ambition is that one day I'll have no kids at home
Life starts again when the kids leave, and gets a time boost when you retire. You may discover the amazing joy in grandchildren; all of the fun with much less of the worry. Grandchildren to me are the dividends from the incredible investment made in raising children. Now I'm retired, with three grandsons all under age five, I have truly never been happier. It's hard for me to keep up with the littles, but I found soccer, biking, fishing and swimming are easier on my older body than baseball or other sports.

I'd guess about 15 minutes. I'd start my clock on it after I dry my hair. Then, with everything -- running my sink water and swirling the baking soda into it, dabbing on a soap or cream as a pre-shave, wetting and squeezing out my brush, applying the day's soap or cream to brush or face, lathering, waiting 3 minutes, and then the actual 2-3 passes -- runs about 10-12. Rinsing the brush and razor, applying aftershave and lotion, spraying the razor and rinsing it, mopping up the countertop, and applying the Clubman powder, I'd guess, runs about 3-4 more.

That's for a 2-day beard. On a 24-hour beard, about the same, except that I only do 1 pass on cheeks and lower lip, and 2 plus cleanup on throat; so I'd guess about 10-11 minutes total in that case.

First off, my wife and I have been empty nesters for ten years and it's AWESOME! Sure, there's the grandchild, but he gets sent home with his parents at the end of the day. When I was active duty, everyday it was a 5 minute gel and cart shave and then a shower (I guess my goal was to wash the gel off afterward)--the only reason I can think of for doing it backwards. Now with DEs and SEs, it's every other day, and probably ~10-15 on average, maybe 20 if I can get away with it--I've learned to deconflict with the wife's shower/hair timeline. I shave on my telework M-W-F days so it works well, with a 2 pass shave M&W and a 3 pass on a Friday to carry me over til Monday if I'm in the mood. I love my kids, but having them out of the house and watching their kids run them ragged is so satisfying. Being a father for two months, my son told me that his wife and him, "can't imagine how you and mom handled having two kids "so young." Okay, we were 23 which we felt was old at the time, but I thanked him for the backhanded compliment, and told him that his son's diaper needed changing.:pipe:

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
All these speedy shavers. Sheesh. :001_rolle

I don't use a different rig every day. I've been known to go a whole month with one razor. I've also been known to change every day, so there you go. Generally I've chosen the gear for the next shave by the time I'm done cleaning up from the last one.

OK, here's how an old hippie does it:

Start the boar brush soaking in a cup of warm water; set out the soap and razor(s); the shave bowl and towels. Grab a book -- currently T. Commerford Martin's 1892 opus The Inventions, Researches and Writings of Nikola Tesla -- and "take care of other matters" while the brush soaks.

When the brush has soaked, make lather and get started. Y'all know how the rest of this goes. Lather, shave, repeat. Wipe, rinse, balm.

Once done and all restored to normal it's usually been about 35 minutes if I'm using a DE or SE, a solid hour if I'm using a shavette.

O.H.

I think I have answered this type of thread before, but I'm game. My wife says several hours. However, I have actually timed it. I hop in the shower at 6:30 am. As a shower shaver I wash, turn off the water, lather, shave, rinse, repeat. I'm out with a clean brush by about 5 til 7am. That puts me around 25 minutes (including a wash in there).

First off, my wife and I have been empty nesters for ten years and it's AWESOME! Sure, there's the grandchild, but he gets sent home with his parents at the end of the day. When I was active duty, everyday it was a 5 minute gel and cart shave and then a shower (I guess my goal was to wash the gel off afterward)--the only reason I can think of for doing it backwards. Now with DEs and SEs, it's every other day, and probably ~10-15 on average, maybe 20 if I can get away with it--I've learned to deconflict with the wife's shower/hair timeline. I shave on my telework M-W-F days so it works well, with a 2 pass shave M&W and a 3 pass on a Friday to carry me over til Monday if I'm in the mood. I love my kids, but having them out of the house and watching their kids run them ragged is so satisfying. Being a father for two months, my son told me that his wife and him, "can't imagine how you and mom handled having two kids "so young." Okay, we were 23 which we felt was old at the time, but I thanked him for the backhanded compliment, and told him that his son's diaper needed changing.:pipe:
I have to admit, my shaving regimen expanded as an empty nester too! I imagine it might expand when I retire. I also like the fact I can walk from the bathroom to my closet without needing a stitch on since it's only the wife and the cat.

Head and face with all the drama: 30' at night
But if I need either or both quickly and no drama: 3-5min with a 1 -3 blade cart....out the door nd BBS.
It's all about being open minded nd having the stuff.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Fast 3-5 minutes usually a brushless cream
Normal 5-10 brush, soap, the whole enchilada

Always 2 pass WTG/ATG and touch ups.

The title says it all. We talk about a moment for ourselves, taking care, a nice multisensory experience... but how long does 'shaving' take for you? Let's say from the moment you've picked and assembled your gear to the moment you and the gear are finished. Not counting time for showering etc. Just the whole shaving part.
I guess I'll have to time it myself too.
About 10 minutes. It used to take me longer but I no longer do a 3-pass shave and dont spent quite as much time trying to whip up a perfect lather as I used to.

well i find that if i take 5-10 mins the shave is about average but if i just add that extra 5 mins of time it then becomes a enjoyable shave experiance .

My mid-week shave around Wed/Thur takes about 8 maybe 10 minutes using a cream since I can lather them quickly. That is 2 full passes and a 3rd neck/chin pass. Today's I think I was done in 6-7 minutes. Weekend shaves it is more like leisure time so guessing somewhere around 12 minutes since I use my hard soaps or even croaps and they take me a little longer to lather since I want to make sure they are thick and rich. I also take a little more time using the razor on the weekend shave since I don't feel as rushed.

Top Bottom