What's new

How long did your Merkur 34c last

If you’re worried, get a 33c. It’s three-piece, so if a part fails, you have more options for swapping it out.

Yes, but the 34c is a "two piece" design, not three piece, and the handle is chrome-plated brass. On mine, only the top of the cap and the "base plate", which is soldered onto the handle, are zamak. Those parts should last a long time unless they get a very hard knock that compromises the chrome plating, so long as they are kept clean and dry. However, I agree the RR steel razors are a better value.

yes I forgot that merkur is a 2 piece. But the same principles apply. Didn't know the handle is plated brass. That's good.

About 4 years before corrosion started on the screw thread and the top plates. The corrosion stopped the top closing properly and then the blade sitting flat which results is a bad shave and cuts. So I have replaced it but I will not buy another Merkur as the razor was well looked after and they seem not to want to warrant their products. I am buying a Parker instead.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I read something about zamak not being so nice as brass, and would like to know how long your merkur 34c's are lasting for daily shaves and how long did it last before it broke down.
I replied with the "what" emote, because the question is hard to answer: It can be VERY random.

If you drop or whack it only once, a small crack might happen, even invisible, and rot the zamak from within the coating. Happened to my Mühle R41 zamac head, the threading broke away from the cap.

At the same time, I dropped some other zamac razors and they are still fine as on their first day.

Then there is the random quality factor. The coating of Merkur is not always perfect, I am sorry to say. Their quality and QC is perhaps a bit better than Fatip, but Fatip at least uses the more resilient brass instead of zamak.

So from gone within a year to heirloom item, you never know. Properly maintained and without accidents and hidden flaws they can last the already mentioned decades.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
So I have replaced it but I will not buy another Merkur as the razor was well looked after and they seem not to want to warrant their products. I am buying a Parker instead.
Try getting a razor with a brass core or one of the cheaper stainless steel razors. Many often bash Parker, but I like their razors, but they are also quite prone to quality issues and also often nothing but zamac. Razorock razors are not that cheap anymore, but their Chinese copies are of very similar quality and often quite a bit cheaper. I would also like to mention Stando from Poland, his razors are excellent and still inexpensive.

Top Bottom