What's new

How do you switch up your razors?

I started out using one razor until the blade was shot, then I'd grab a different razor. But I tend to use a blade until it's unsuitable for cutting butter, so I wasn't feeling the variety. I've kept adding loaded razors to the counter until now I have 4 ready to go at all times. I keep track of shaves per blade with dice. I'm wondering now if I'd be better off just moving the same blade from razor to razor rather than keeping several razors loaded at a time.

How do others handle this dilemma?

R

romsitsa

Hello,

I use vintage British Wilkinson blades. 1-4. shaves are with a safety bar Gillette (right now a Fatboy), then the blade goes into a NEW or New Improved for a couple more shaves. The last station is a RFB NEW.

Adam

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I like to remove the blade from different razors and blade is always rinsed and dryed for the next razor, razor rinsed and wiped, I like variety unless I buy a new razor and have to but it through the paces and then I go back to a routine of changing razors every day with the same blade until spent.(life is great for now hope every ones health is great with great shaves:a8:)

I always remove the blade and pass it around as well until spent.

Unless, I want to compare blades. Then I pull the losing blade and put it in one of my non-preferred razors until I get around to using it again.

I will use the same razor for 1-2 weeks. Astra SP will last 6 shaves for me. I skip shaving on Saturday usually. What ever makes you happy, go for it. Variety is the spice of life!

On Verteran's day weekend and Memorial day weekend, I use a different razor each day, all from one of the World Wars.

For a long time I would load up two DE razors every weekend. Each one would get 3 or 4 shaves, and then I'd toss both blades, clean the razors, and start over. Lately I've been using one SE and one DE. I still replace the DE blade every weekend, but the SE blade only needs replacing every few weeks.

I started out using one razor until the blade was shot, then I'd grab a different razor. But I tend to use a blade until it's unsuitable for cutting butter, so I wasn't feeling the variety. I've kept adding loaded razors to the counter until now I have 4 ready to go at all times. I keep track of shaves per blade with dice. I'm wondering now if I'd be better off just moving the same blade from razor to razor rather than keeping several razors loaded at a time.

How do others handle this dilemma?

I do it just like you have. I use 12 sided d&d die, Today I'm getting 6 more dice to go with the 4 I already keep. Although, until now I always used the same brand in all the razors loaded. I'm thinking I've got to come up with a way to keep the covers near by so I can tell which is which. I hate messing with razor blades once they're in the handle until they've been used up. Heh, 'unsuitable for cutting butter' huh? maybe some day but that would mean having blades into the century after next!!

Mine driver is a well used SR and a Piccolo for clean ups. I only really switch out the Piccolo with a prewar Fat Handle Tech right now. I use Astra SP almost exclusively. It hops right into whatever I want to rise in the moment.

I think this will change once I get my first adjustable or two!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
The more I switch razors, the more my shaves suffer, so I mainly stick to one razor these days, and need a good reason to bring one of the others into service. My reward is better shaves. Variety is overrated.

I keep my razors in a 12 tube test tube rack. I pull out a razor that I use for 3 days without putting it back in the rack. After 3 days I take the blade our, clean the razor, be out it back in the rack and grab the next one. I have more than a dozen, but the dozen are my daily user. This way they all get used equally.
20171115_142833.jpg

I don’t keep multiple razors loaded. I just move the blade to the razor I want to use and keep track of the shaves with a D12.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I use one razor and one blade from Monday to Sunday. Each Sunday night the blade goes in a blade bin/bank and the razor is changed to the next one. The used razor gets a wash and when dried its stored in an air tight plastic container. I have RAD and I want to use all the razors at some stage rather than having them just sitting around doing nothing. The only razors that stay loaded are a couple of carts that are in the bathroom drawer, just in case a particular razor and or blade cause me issues while shaving.

I'll use one razor and change blades for anywhere from a week to a month.
I don't like keeping partially used blades even if they are re-wrapped so I'll toss the blade when I change razors (or sooner).
The problem with this lack of self-control is that I've got a few razors that get to play almost every inning and another 15 or more sitting on the bench.
And, if I put all of my razors out on the counter, I'd have too much explaining to do. :a13:

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I just switch razors whenever I feel like it. And I waste a lot of blades because I don't keep track. If I grab a razor I haven't used for a while I'll just change the blade for good measure. Blades are cheap and I have so many. But I used to switch blades to the chosen razor each day, before I had a preferred blade for each razor. And now I have well over a hundred razors, so it is really hard to keep track with dice etc. So I just go with the flow and change or swap blades between razors as the mood strikes me.

Once upon a time I rotated through razors, etc. These days I pretty much stick with one setup until it is time to change blades. KISS works for me.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
KISS works for me.
Not quite their yet Jim, that formula has been around and it works well, I like variety still, yet when I get a new razor i will dwell with it for a minimum of a week or two and enjoy every shave so I can see your point of view.

Top Bottom