What's new

How do you switch up your razors?

I used to keep a few razors loaded up with a blade. Then I started moving the blade around from razor to razor. For the past year or so, I don't bother. I keep the same blade in one razor and use that combo for several shaves. When I'm ready for a change, I don't worry that I may still have some use out of the blade since even expensive DE blades are pretty darned cheap and I have enough of my favorites for a couple years of shaving at the moment (and can easily buy more). I also don't worry that this means that I may be slow getting to some razors. While I have 16 razors, I have 4 or 5 favorites that get 90% of the use no matter how I do things so it really doesn't matter.

I generally keep the same blade in the razor for 2-4 shaves. I figure the blades the cheapest thing and skimping on the use is not such a big deal. I also generally have 2-3 razors loaded and ready at any given time. That's the week right there. Next week start again.

I only use Gillette Yellows, GSB and Nacet now. I toss them at 5 shaves each and switch to the next. I usually use one of my 6 DEs as a daily driver and switch it up on weekends when not pressed for time.

I usually keep the blade in one razor until the blade pulls a little or I get bored. Then I put a different blade in a different razor. I keep a loaded Gem G-bar around as a back-up just in case.

I usually change razors weekly and when I do, I start with a new blade. I have 3 vintage, so the rotation is easy to manage. I may eventually try and push the blades to 2 weeks, but I haven’t done that yet.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
A chosen razor gets six shaves, measured with a die/dice. Blade toss and another razor is up.

Razor rotation is totally random! Just adds to the fun. Krona? Starburst? RR slant? No plan at all. Just grab one; haven't used that Red Tip in a while ...

AA

Like you, I use a die by each of my four razors in active rotation that are kept in the bathroom, to keep track of blade use. By each razor, I also leave the blade wrapper so I can keep track of which blade is in each razor. I do not take blades out of my razors between use, nor do I swap blades from razor to razor. My non-active razors are kept clean in their original boxes, in another room.

It's a very simple foolproof system, that works well.

Thinking about it, just leaving the blades in each razor until they're done seems like the easiest and best plan. All your razors and set-up and ready to go then, so you can just choose and go and it'll minimise the strain/wear of the threads/mechanism. And it's less effort.

I tend to move the blade from razor to razor. Enjoy the variety.
I do this as well with my DE razors. I rotate all my razors, DE and SE in no particular order except how they sit in the holders (test tube racks). I use a different razor for each shave. If the blade in whichever razor it is starts to tug or scratch, I'll switch it out for another one and use it until it does the same.

I used to use a different razor for every shave & would just move the same blade from razor to razor.

This year for 2018 is different. I'm doing monthly rotations through out the year. I'm using the same setup for an entire month- same razor, same soap, same brush, & a couple of blades for testing with razor combo. Now the blade stays in till I need a new one.

Feels pretty good to stick with one razor for a whole month. It also feels pretty good at the start of each new month to switch out to a different razor.

I used to use a different razor for every shave & would just move the same blade from razor to razor.

This year for 2018 is different. I'm doing monthly rotations through out the year. I'm using the same setup for an entire month- same razor, same soap, same brush, & a couple of blades for testing with razor combo. Now the blade stays in till I need a new one.

Feels pretty good to stick with one razor for a whole month. It also feels pretty good at the start of each new month to switch out to a different razor.

You are preaching to the choir. Amen.

M

member 119848

I keep my razors in a 12 tube test tube rack. I pull out a razor that I use for 3 days without putting it back in the rack. After 3 days I take the blade our, clean the razor, be out it back in the rack and grab the next one. I have more than a dozen, but the dozen are my daily user. This way they all get used equally.View attachment 861609
Hi bugmd,
you have a very nice set of razors there ;-) I have a question regarding your Timeless razors: which handle do you prefer the most in term of ergonomics, the pinapple or the barberpole?
I already have a knurled 85mm but am hesitating of getting another one. Cheers.

I never developed RAD.
So, I rotate between 2 razors, a Fatip Grande and a RR 37 slant. I tested a lot of blades over the years and have settled on 5 blades that I always get 7 DFS+ or BBS shaves from in each razor. I'll ride one razor throughout the blade rotation, I change out blades every Saturday. It works out to using each razor for 35 days straight.

I get my variety from soaps, creams & AS splashes.

I'm wondering now if I'd be better off just moving the same blade from razor to razor rather than keeping several razors loaded at a time.
That sounds like too much work.

I've kept adding loaded razors to the counter until now I have 4 ready to go at all times.
This is the easiest solution, and is what I do (without keeping track of blade usage).

I usually have a blade in one. A blade in my wife's and a blade in the pube scythe. That would be the Merkur 180. When i bought it there was a different nomenclature. 23C maybe? Nothing like having a dedicated device!

I started out keeping several razors loaded at the same time, but it was a PITA to keep track of how many times I had used each blade.

Then, I went to using one razor for the life of the blade, which at that time, was 4 days, just because I thought that was a good balance of getting my money's worth from the blade, and being able to get some variety out of my razor collection.

Ever since then, I've been just moving the blade from razor to razor, until it's spent. For a while, it was a new blade every Monday, but the past few months, I've been able to use the same blade for 2 weeks. Right now, I've been using my GEM/ER SEs for the past couple of weeks, and I expect to get 2-3 more weeks out of this one GEM PTFE SS blade.

If I am shaving consistently I use same razor and same blade. If I am lazy that week, next time I shave I swap to another razor with the same blade.

Reminds me, I need to clean my razors... soap scum

Top Bottom