What's new

How do you rotate your razors?

When I sold off most of my straights, I used one DE for ~4 years. Then almost exclusively another one for about 5 years. Currently, I am experimenting with a few "new" DEs. When I am done, I expect to settle using just a couple exclusively.

I change razors and blades weekly - I generally shave 5-6 times per week. My razors are in a rotation so I select the next one in the queue. Blades are more or less paired with the razor I believe they work well with.

I got away from shaving as a hobby maybe 7 or 8 years ago, at which point I started using my faithful Muhle R89 for every shave, going through my stockpiled blades. This spring the stockpile was running low, and in thinking which blades to purchase, I got sucked into AD mode worse than ever, and have acquired at least a dozen new razors, maybe 8 new brushes, and more creams, soaps and splashes than I want to think about.

So right now I'm picking one of the razors almost at random, both new and old, mostly to compare the unknown to the known. Although with also trying different blades and soaps, there's too many variables to reach definite conclusions. I'm curious how long this phase will last, and what the pattern will be like when it ends. I do have new favorites in my Karve, Mergress, and Rocca, so I'm pretty sure the R89 won't regain its spot as the every day go to. But who knows?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Blindfolded. ;)
To amplify on my previous answer.

There are probably ~50 razors in my extended (occasional use) rotation, ~15 - 20 of which are used with regularity.

I *try* to stick to several of the weekly razor type shaving days:

Single Edge Sunday
Micromatic Monday
Tech Tuesday
Fatip Friday

Doesn't single out a particular razor for each of those days, but it does narrow things down a bit. ;)

The other days of the week are very much a crap shoot depending on my mood and what pops into my brain.

Just my opinion. 😎

And don't say clockwise or counter-clockwise. LOL

What I mean is, do you switch razors daily? Weekly? When you change blades? Or just when the spirit moves you?

Me, I switch to razors when I change blades.
And don't say clockwise or counter-clockwise. LOL

What I mean is, do you switch razors daily? Weekly? When you change blades? Or just when the spirit moves you?

Me, I switch to razors when I change blades.
I have four razors, and rotate more or less daily depending on mood. Change all the (feather) blades every two weeks.

I use to haphazardly change between 5 razors - Merkur 34, Jaeger 89, '62 ish Gillette slim, Mergress, and late 50's Hofrirz open comb travel razor. Always with a Feather blade. Frankly, not sure why I rotated except that after a short while the aspects of each razor that I didn’t like prompted me to change - weight, head size, maneuverability, closeness, feel, blade alignment, etc.

About 3 months ago I purchased a Feather AS-D2 razor. Now I have no desire to change. I have a heavy beard and whether I shave every day or after a three day growth, the Feather Feather combo leaves nothing for me to desire differently. I held off on getting the razor due to the comments about being too mild and hence not getting close shaves, but my take is that they got the Feather / Feather combo design perfect. I agree with Trivine.

S...Feather AS-D2
M...Feather AS-D2
T...Feather AS-D2
W...Feather AS-D2
Th...Feather AS-D2
F...Feather AS-D2
S...Feather AS-D2

🤪

I don't rotate razors with any rhyme or reason. Sometimes it could change daily. Other times, the same razor could stay on my sink for months.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I use to haphazardly change between 5 razors - Merkur 34, Jaeger 89, '62 ish Gillette slim, Mergress, and late 50's Hofrirz open comb travel razor. Always with a Feather blade. Frankly, not sure why I rotated except that after a short while the aspects of each razor that I didn’t like prompted me to change - weight, head size, maneuverability, closeness, feel, blade alignment, etc.

About 3 months ago I purchased a Feather AS-D2 razor. Now I have no desire to change. I have a heavy beard and whether I shave every day or after a three day growth, the Feather Feather combo leaves nothing for me to desire differently. I held off on getting the razor due to the comments about being too mild and hence not getting close shaves, but my take is that they got the Feather / Feather combo design perfect. I agree with Trivine.
Exactly the results I get. I also have a heavy beard, but I shave daily. The AS-D2 gives me three pass BBS consistently and with pretty amazing comfort. I get pretty much the same results with Crystals with slightly better mileage, although I note that in an AS-D2 a Feather blade lasts much longer than it would in an Edwin Jagger DE-89, my prior razor.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have a larger razor collection(40+) and like to go through them because they are unique in many ways of shave and comfort level.
My rotation of razors are always keep in eye site, because out of site out of mind rule seems to be valid.
As some fellows have mentioned they have theme days of the week for brand name companies like Micromatic Monday or Sunday shave in which I use a Schick injector. I have 8 injectors so there 52 weeks of Sundays per year so they get put into service and l look forward to that.
Then you have OCtober where a lot of vintage open combs are but into service in that month or Slantember where my two slant razors are put into service and I like that because they are unique and shave well.
Gem brand razors or American.Safety.Razor corp razors get used at least every Monday but more like 2 to 3> times a week because I like the way they shave.
I like some of my other Vintage & modern razors and they are used on a want day and that is how my rotation works.
And now I am venturing into AC Shavette a little so I might use 2 razors per day, one for learning how to use a Shavette and other to clean up a little were I missed.:001_smile
Retired and like the shave routine, I like Variety and have learned a lot from the forums how to shave properly.

Even though I do not know how many razors I own I simply do not rotate. I use the same razor almost every single shave. I think there is something that can only be gained by focusing on the same razor. This is something I recommend people that are serious about their shaving.
You can only shave with one razor at a time -get to know its likes, and dislikes as you would a friend

I have 8 favorite razors hanging on wall next to the sink, (favorites do change on occasion) I pick a razor as the mood strikes me. Blades stay in the razor and get changed as needed. One of these day I'll go back to using just one razor and blade but............?

I think I have four (Blackbird, Timeless, Gillette, Game Changer). I stopped rotating months ago and stick with the GC .84-P. I do rotate handles though - heavy to medium to light.

R

romsitsa

It's random, I'm lazy. Except for new acquisitions, these get one shave asap.

Top Bottom