What's new

How To Find My Holy Grail

I have been a safety razor shaver for a while. Originally bought a Schick Krona, lost it when I moved, bought a slim adjustable, like an idiot, tried it at like level 6 or 7 first, hated it, then got a 40s super speed which was my best shave but still not amazing. I ended up selling all of these, trying a parker variant, a merkur progress, and a rockwell 6c all with the same blade once. It was all pretty close but I chose the rockwell because it's used as a measurement for other razor aggressiveness and I think will help me dial in to find my razor of choice. As for my blades, I got the GBS 120 count variety pack and that's what i've been using. I also recently ordered a razor emporium beginner variety pack but i am yet to use that. As for brushes, I have a Proraso boar, AP Shave Co G5C, Maggards Synthetic, and Yaqi 24 silver tip. As for my cream and lather, I don't really know how to use soap well and use cream with face lather which works decent for me. Anyway, all i'm trying to say is how do I find what I like. I feel like I try something and I like it then I don't and I just constantly go back and forth on what to do. What steps should I take (technique, dialing in razor, brush choice, blade choice, etc.) and what order in order to find what works for me? I'm so lost.

I don't know how long "a while" is, or how long you stuck with each of the razors you've owned, but my suggestion would be:

Stop chasing the perfect razor and perfect shave, and stick with one razor, one blade, cream/soap, and one brush for a while and strive for perfect technique.

Six razors, nearly all of them adjustable and you haven't found what you like?

What aspect of the shave, either during or endstate is unsatisfactory? Closeness of the shave? Too much stubble remaining after you run your hand over your face? Or is it irritated, red, warm skin? Cuts, nicks, weepers? Is it tuggy and uncomfortable? What specifically do you think, "Well, that could've been better."?

Six razors, nearly all of them adjustable and you haven't found what you like?

What aspect of the shave, either during or endstate is unsatisfactory? Closeness of the shave? Too much stubble remaining after you run your hand over your face? Or is it irritated, red, warm skin? Cuts, nicks, weepers? Is it tuggy and uncomfortable? What specifically do you think, "Well, that could've been better."?
Its like sometimes the blade will chatter or ill get a bunch of ingrowns or my lather sucks that one time or i get irritation, etc

I don't know how long "a while" is, or how long you stuck with each of the razors you've owned, but my suggestion would be:

Stop chasing the perfect razor and perfect shave, and stick with one razor, one blade, cream/soap, and one brush for a while and strive for perfect technique.
A long while is like half *** on and off for like 3 years but I've really enjoyed the hobby and got serious about it the past 4 months. Do you think I should at least find my plate preference on the rockwell and then just stick with it?

I will echo @gpjoe in concentrating on technique first especially with your post of just now regarding the ingrown hair, irritation and subpar lather.

I sympathise with your opening post, so far however I have found that holy grail can apply to any combination of blade razor and brush - I have holy grail items in my collection because I call them that, but frankly even with the R89 I can get great shaves.

With 4 months of dedicated shaves in there is a lot to be focused on before getting a new razor. Use that Rockwell and start with a blade you got along with. First stop by my suggestion would be lather perfecting and proper prep. You might want to read this as a starter.

Cheers and enjoy!

Guido

I will echo @gpjoe in concentrating on technique first especially with your post of just now regarding the ingrown hair, irritation and subpar lather.

I sympathise with your opening post, so far however I have found that holy grail can apply to any combination of blade razor and brush - I have holy grail items in my collection because I call them that, but frankly even with the R89 I can get great shaves.

With 4 months of dedicated shaves in there is a lot to be focused on before getting a new razor. Use that Rockwell and start with a blade you got along with. First stop by my suggestion would be lather perfecting and proper prep. You might want to read this as a starter.

Cheers and enjoy!

Guido
I noticed in the post regarding the lather, it didn't really matter which brush he used. Do you think i should stick with a specific brush in my arsenal to work on my lathering technique or does it not matter

I noticed in the post regarding the lather, it didn't really matter which brush he used. Do you think i should stick with a specific brush in my arsenal to work on my lathering technique or does it not matter
Not necessarily a brush but perhaps brush type yes. Boar brushes are slightly hogging or a lot on your lather unless they are very well broken in (20+ shaves). I started my journey with my first brush which is a badger, but best lathers for me are with a synthetic brush. I rotate daily.

"Holy Grail" is a nonsense term used to justify * Acquisition Disorder. If you want to buy more stuff, do so, but don't think that there will be some miracle combination that delivers shaving nirvana. That comes with time: understanding your face, whiskers, skin type, and how best to use whatever tools you have at your disposal. As your technique develops, you'll be better placed to make informed judgements about what soaps, blades, etc work best for you. But, spoiler, there is no magical sword in the lake...

What @gpjoe & @silverlifter said.

Stick with one setup that works. Dial that in to perfection. Then decide if it's worth chasing a better aspect of that setup.

For reference, it took me just under 8y of daily and then every second day of shaving, to find my ultimate razor setup. That was 6y ago and it's been my main razor since. It probably sees 98% of my shaves.

It ended up being a $50 razor, so it doesn't have to be $$$ if you don't want it to be. I don't believe $$$ razors shave any better and some aren't even built any better.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
@johnjim242 , I think you answered your own question, at least one of them. You have been leaning toward determining which Rockwell plate works the best for you... I think that is an excellent path.

In the meantime, if you like to read, as I do, I'd read all the shaves of the day threads in "what's new".. new posts... You see what others are using on a regular basis.... I'd also read through some of the journals and diaries from start to finish, that is, if you like to read. If not, start on the last page and see where they end up and trace their steps backwards.

If you do that, you'll get to know people here who have the same face type, whisker type, etc. and you can more easily determine what is more likely to work for you. This will cut out months of trial and error, reduce the risks when buying a new razor... and the friends you'll meet will add enjoyment to your every day life.

Here is the general section: Journals and Diaries - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/forums/journals-and-diaries.160/

And Jim's journal is not listed under "journals and diaries" and is well worth the time it takes to read:

You can try to stay away from this forum lol. Like the others have said, stick to one razor but try different blades. I have been DE shaving for 13 years now and I started with the 34C HD, my second razor was the Fatip OC v1. I hated it, it felt so weird shaving with it and I shelved it. Couple months later I decided to give it an another try and I fell in love with it. It's my favorite razor. The reason why I hated it is because I didn't knew how to use it properly. Later I only used the Fatip with the Astra SP blades, then I found out about the Permasharps and I started to use them only. Later I gave the Feathers a try and I thought I found the perfect combination. This is my setup for so many years. Often I still use different blades or go trough my sample pack to see which blade I haven't tried yet.

I think expensive razors are overrated. The most expensive razor I own is the Merkur Progress, I got it for around 70 euros. The cheapest razor I own is the Fatip OC v1 which I got for 19 eur. IMHO the Fatip OC is a better razor for me. YMMV but don't let anyone tell you that an expensive razor is better, it's BS. You can better spend that money on shaving soaps and aftershaves.

The Progress on the lowest setting is super mild, IMHO it's the same as the 34C HD. It's very hard to mess up with this razor on the lowest setting and it's super forgiving. I would stick to that razor and practice lathering first, then map your beard out so you can do the passes properly.

I think I know what you mean with blade chatter, you'll get that when you're using the wrong angle or your lather is poor. Watch a couple YouTube videos on how to lather properly. Hard soaps are harder to lather compared to creams, I would start with a shaving cream first. Or you could use some "soft" hard soap like the Vitos Super, Cella both are very easy to lather even for a beginner.

Once you get the hang of it you can use every razor with any blade but there is always a chance your face won't like the blade you're using.

Aisle 5
grailrs3.jpg

Chatter sucks and is dangerous. I have learned to focus on razors with low to no chatter. This has been a big help for me. I started with a Feather Popular and a Twig which chatter too much (for me at least). Happy to have moved on to better things.

It just happens. I honed my DE shaving skills over a two year period. I tried several different razors: Gillette's: 195, Slim, and Tech. Merkur 34, Muhle R89, Feather AS-D2. I made a lot of mistakes, I stuck with the process and became reasonably adept with all of them. My first shave with a Henson razor just blew me away. I learned very quickly that the Henson razor gives me consistently excellent results with no drama. Its the only razor I use. You've received some great advice here. Stick with one that you have, keep using it, develop your technique and you'll find that you'll get better at it.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
No need to look for the perfect wheat in the field.
You already own some razors that are envied and admired by many.

If you frequently go back and forth between multiple razors, it may disturb your muscle and tactile memory, thus affecting the shaving effect.

Maybe you can also try adding shims, which can increase/decrease the efficiency and feel of the razor with minimal changes, and maintain muscle memory.
Many people find that shims greatly change their impression of a razor.

"Holy Grail" is a nonsense term used to justify * Acquisition Disorder. If you want to buy more stuff, do so, but don't think that there will be some miracle combination that delivers shaving nirvana. That comes with time: understanding your face, whiskers, skin type, and how best to use whatever tools you have at your disposal. As your technique develops, you'll be better placed to make informed judgements about what soaps, blades, etc work best for you. But, spoiler, there is no magical sword in the lake...

+2! Great advice above!!

My own take is that ’traditional’ wet shaving is 90+% technique!

The remainder is figuring out what makes you happy. For me, that involves rotating enjoyable soaps, brushes, blades and splashes! For others, the answer is a ’destination’ set-up. Great to have choices IMO!!

:popc::popc:

Welcome to the forum BTW! We are glad that you came to join us here. As you see there are many here that are willing to help you out on this journey and a journey it is. For most of us this whole thing with wet shaving did not come super natural nor did the "perfect" shave "holy grail" razor, if they even exist, fall into our lap. It is very much a trial and error type journey. We try something and it may make the shave better worse or maybe does even change anything. This is part of what makes this great too. We will learn something new all the time.

From your initial post it seems like you have tried on and off to wet shave for a while with varying degree of success. My first word to you is perseverance. Yes you will have shaves that are not that great. We all have them from time to time, but luckily they decline in frequency as you gain more experience. When they happen just stick with it. Continue and you may have to evaluate what went wrong or maybe what went well. Remember that we learn much more from our failures than our successes.

Second word is consistency. I see that you have been using this and that razor. Changed this setting done this and that to no avail. All you ended up with was irritation and ingrown hair. This sounds to me like technique issues and that get amplified by changing things out too much, too quickly. Slow down, take a deep breath we will get you through this.

I would suggest a going back to square one for you. Reset! The equipment that you have right now is plenty good. No need to get anything. Here are a few pointers.
  1. Settle on a razor: The Rockwell 6C is a solid razor (not to say that the other ones are not) and a good choice. Rather settle for the lower plates. Maybe the 2 plate or maybe even the 1 plate would be a good choice.
  2. The GSB blades are well regarded and will work great for you (no @lasta he is not a potential recruit)
  3. You were mentioning that cream and face lather works for you. Great! Nothing wrong with that. Use the Maggard Synthetic one that you have and go to town. Face lathering is the way I do it and many with me and there is nothing wrong with that. You can explore different ways later. This also indicated that you already had a shave cream. Good use that one for now.
  4. Now to the hard part. Use those pieces while you are learning. Try not to change too much while you are learning proper technique.
  5. Map your face: figure out the direction that your whiskers grow on your face. Draw a map of it if you would like to. This will determine your WTG, XTG, ATG directions at the different places on your face.
  6. Start out just shaving one WTG pass. Make sure you can do that reliably with no irritation before you add another pass. Yes you will not win a smoothest-face-competition with this shave, but it will certainly be socially acceptable. Remember very very very light touch with the razor. It is not a cartridge.
  7. Once you nailed down the WTG pass without irritation you can incorporate a XTG pass. Same thing here stick with this until you can do it irritation free. That is the most important. Once you complete this pass you will have close-comfortable-shave or even darn-fine-shave level shaves. This might be all you need, but of course we push the limit here on B&B and add the ATG.
  8. ATG pass if you so choose. Many people here on B&B cannot or choose to not even to an ATG pass. For some it causes too much irritation no matter what they try. For others it is not needed for their shaving goals and expediency. Same deal here do this very careful, very light touch and if you do it right you will potentially by rewarded with the all elusive BBS.
I do not know how often that you are, would like to shave but I would try to get at least 30-45 shaves under your belt before you start trying things out. Besides you will not be able to test out new things too early anyways because you may not have the skills yet to evaluate them properly. Just hang in there and you will be there before you now it. As always ask away and there are many here that are willing to help out to answer any question that you may have.
Happy shavings!
-Boris

You really have gotten a lot of good advice here. The one thing that keeps repeating is technique. To that end I would add go slow. When I go slow I can keep my focus and bad things don’t often happen.

With regard to shaving hardware, we hear the back and forth on cost and quality and how to sort through it all to find a tool that will work for us. The one thing that usually works for me is “longevity“. It doesn’t matter if an item is expensive or not, if it has stood the test of time it is probably worth the cost.

Top Bottom