What's new

how do you make your Tuna Salad Sandwich??

My Dad used to love a hollowed out tomato stuffed with tuna or chicken salad.

Tomato and avocado sounds mighty good!
Stuffed tomatoes with tuna or chicken salad was a late summertime staple at suppertime on our farm. Moms' tuna and chicken salads were simple; hard-boiled egg, sweet pickle relish, and chopped celery folded into equal parts of mayo and Miracle Whip. She would served the stuffed tomatoes on a bed of lettuce tossed with a tasty dressing made from milk, Miracle Whip and a touch of sugar. A wonderful, light meal.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
half a tin of tuna, 1 small onion diced, 1 tablespoon of mayo, salt/pepper + 2 slices of bread! That easy.
Over time, my recipe didn't change much.

a small tin of tuna, 1/2 yellow onion or 1 very small onion diced.

1 tablespoon of Greek yogurt plain 0% (I need to cut the calories somewhere these days).

Salt and pepper.

I add a teaspoon of dijon mustard for kicks. That's it.

I use canned chicken ...
When I was a kid I'd watch my Mom gag as she'd assemble a tuna salad sandwich for Dad. Whenever I'd visit the neighbor kids, they'd always have Tuna sandwiches for lunch, since Grandpa loved fishing and would always have his catch canned. They had crates of canned tuna.
In grade school one of the bullyboys found out I didn't get along with Tuna, so he chewed up a mouthful of his and blew the tuna breath at me. I was sent to the principal's office for dislocating his jaw and blackening an eye.
So, even today, I'm not a fan.
Of course, either chunk tuna or salmon is good dipped in sour cream & topped with crushed fresh garlic or dusted with Cayenne pepper powder.
I also got stupid-drunk on Gin once while in college in the early 1970's. To this day, the small of gin turns my stomach, too.

Last edited:
1 can water-packed albacore tuna, drained
1/4 cup mayo
1/4 cup chopped green onion
1/2 tsp dried dill
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp sugar

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
This thread is 13 years old, but I love tuna salad (chicken and ham salad too) and I'm always game for a good recipe to improve that which is nearly perfect on its own.
I have to admit that my favorite way to eat tuna salad is not on a sandwich, but over cut tomatoes and avacados.
A terrific summertime meal that beats the heat.
Nothing like a good resurrection. :) I need to see if the farmer's market has good beefsteaks yet. I also need to try Henderson's Relish in my next batch. HR has almost totally taken over for the Lee & Perrins Worcestershire that use to be my go to.

Last edited by a moderator:

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
This thread is 13 years old, but I love tuna salad (chicken and ham salad too)

I knew there was something I liked about you. :)

Yeah. Meat salad. Tuna, chicken, beef, pork, turkey, ham, salmon...you name it. On toasted bread.

A friend of mine has a "Bacon Salad" every year to celebrate his birthday. Essentially it's two pounds of bacon fried crisp, crumbled and mixed with bleu cheese dressing. And he eats the whole thing.

O.H.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I knew there was something I liked about you. :)

Yeah. Meat salad. Tuna, chicken, beef, pork, turkey, ham, salmon...you name it. On toasted bread.

A friend of mine has a "Bacon Salad" every year to celebrate his birthday. Essentially it's two pounds of bacon fried crisp, crumbled and mixed with bleu cheese dressing. And he eats the whole thing.

O.H.
We need to add deviled ham to the list.

To the original post;-

In the UK there are Manky little Cafes that sell Savoury Tuna sandwiches, kin yuck.
Broken down they are cheap tinned brine Tuna, extremely small chopped red pepper, onion, grated cheese, mayo and turned into a pulp, could lay bricks with it!
Said ingredients aren't so bad but quality and lack of thought, no.

However, I do know a decent tuna salad sarnie.
The Wife makes it and that's all I need to know hahaha!!!

Mine is very simple and never disappoints. Tuna, in water, never oil. Hellmans mayo, nothing else will do. Tapatio or Valentino hot sauce to taste. A slice of American cheese on very slightly toasted bread. If this is not available in heaven, I will have to tell St. Pete that I respectfully decline to enter until this oversight is rectified.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I like to add grapes 🍇 to my recipe. Others like to add grapes and walnuts to theirs.

I've had those in chicken salad (like the others above), and I've often thought about grapes in ham salad, but I've never thought about them in tune salad. Interesting.

Top Bottom