What's new

how do you make your Tuna Salad Sandwich??

I've tried several different brands. They were all pretty similar, except for one, which I thought was cat food...can't remember which brand, though.

We buy 7 ounce Bumble Bee Premium Albacore pouches now. Another nice thing, aside from the step up in quality, is that there's no draining necessary. You just open the pouch and dump it into a bowl.

Ingredients: White Tuna, H2O, Vegetable Broth, Salt, Pyrophosphate.

Which reminds me. I've read several times of the years that many folks enjoy a shot of Soy Sauce in their tuna. I tried it and it's not for me. Anyone out there a Tuna-Soy Sauce person?

I would be open to the "Soy - Tuna" idea, but i don't think that would be the ideal ingrediant for a classic tuna sandwich.

Tuna pouches from now on! thanks for the info.

does anyone have any concerns from the mercury content of tuna?

I had lunch the other day at a place that had the best tuna salad I've ever tasted. They used poached tuna, but I reproduced it at home with canned. The place used great homemade herbed mayo and homemade sourdough bread, toasted on the inside. There was a nice taste of cracked black pepper in the tuna salad and great fresh tomatoes too. But what really made the sandwich was...bacon. Yes, bacon. Applewood smoked bacon. Mmmmm...

I had lunch the other day at a place that had the best tuna salad I've ever tasted. They used poached tuna, but I reproduced it at home with canned. The place used great homemade herbed mayo and homemade sourdough bread, toasted on the inside. There was a nice taste of cracked black pepper in the tuna salad and great fresh tomatoes too. But what really made the sandwich was...bacon. Yes, bacon. Applewood smoked bacon. Mmmmm...

:drool: Awww...you really DO live in The Southern Part Of Heaven.

On a side note, I was scanning this thread for use of the pleonasm "tunafish" (as opposed to some other kind of tuna), but no one's used it yet. :wink:

You were saying...

I just made a tuna fish, or salad if you prefer, sandwich last night.

1) Drain every last drop of water (no oil packed tuna for me) from a can of white albacore tuna.
2) Add the least amount of mayo just to make the tuna "stick" (Veganaise is pretty damn good, too).
3) Add Habanaro Tobasco and pepper to taste.
4) Apply to nice section of crusty french bread.

Basically, I like dry and spicy.

:cool:

...ha ha, Jeremy did it, LOL!

As summer's approaching full swing i've been really into tuna salad sandwiches.

my general recipe has been:

• 1 can tuna (in water/with salt)
  • 1.5 Tbs Veganaise
  • .5 Tbs Dejon Mustard
  • Capers
  • Pinch of chili powder
  • Pinch of garlic powder
  • Pinch dill & oregano
  • Salt & Pepper to taste

ideally, i use a nice quality bread, a slice of cheddar, and a piece of romaine.

how do you make yours?

Now that sounds good!

Drained water-pack tuna
Hellmans mayo
S&P
chopped water chestnuts
celery seed
on toast w/lettuce

(Same for chicken salad but omit the celery seed, add dried chopped cranberries.)
Sue

One can well drained solid tuna (packed in water), Eight hard boiled eggs fine chopped, real Hellman's mayo, salt and pepper to taste.
Slam a heaping spoonful between two slices of homemade bread, add some shredded lettuce and I'm good to go.
Add a couple slices of bacon

If you realy want a taste treat!, season some some fresh tuna with your favorite BBQ rub and on your grill (take it to well done) and then use that in your favorite recipe.

Best if you can add a little smoke, with soaked chips or chips wrapped in foil.

Add a little of the rub to the finished tuna salad as well.

I like to make a large batch with red, yellow and green peppers, celery, sweet onion, green onion, mayo and a dash of hot sauce. YUM!!

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
One can well drained solid tuna (packed in water), Eight hard boiled eggs fine chopped, real Hellman's mayo, salt and pepper to taste.
Slam a heaping spoonful between two slices of homemade bread, add some shredded lettuce and I'm good to go.

Thanks for posting the link to the other tuna thread, Tim. My thoughts on any mayo other than Hellman's (exceptin' made from scratch) are clear.:biggrin1:

a friend just recommended:

• Tuna
  • Mayo
  • Pickle

im not sure why that just doesn't sound as appealing...

Its basic and when I'm mainly going for the tuna taste, I do the same. Sometimes I add a little jalapeno and bacon bits. The breads of choice are white, rye or pumpernickel. At other times, crackers, the plain salted top saltine.

uh..am I the only one who likes tuna packed in extra virgin olive oil? :blush: Mine has mayo (sorry, only decent one here in Malaysia is Kraft Mayo), onions, very finely diced celery, dash of ground Sarawak black pepper and usually a little dried thyme or oregano. Bread is another thing Malaysian bakeries can't get right so its the generic wholemeal or home made breads from the breadmaker at home (a big range of of breads here).

It never makes the office. i polish it off in the car on the way to work :p

Rio Mare Tuna in Olive Oil. (Drained, oil goes to the cats)
Mayo
Cracked black pepper.
Kosher Salt.

That's the basic, then depending on my mood any of the following may find their way in.
Capers
Pickles
Pickled peppers
Horseradish
Hot sauce
Celery

I've got some avocados to use, so for lunch I'll probably spice up the tuna with some hot sauce and slap it on a sandwich with some avocados, cheddar and romaine lettuce for some crunch.

canned tuna in water
hard boiled eggs
minced dried onion
crushed red pepper
black pepper
old bay ocassionally
mayo

mix all together and let sit to blend flavors
serve on toasted bread

Tuna, Miraclewhip, Egg, Pickle, Salt, Pepper, bread

Good start . . .

- Miracle Whip
+ Hellmann's Real Mayonnaise

Pickle = Sweet Gherkins, chopped

Add chopped celery.

White bread or whole wheat. Toasted or not.

I like to occasionally add a slice of American cheese and/or tomato.

That's good eatin'!

V

VR6ofpain

Tuna (in water, not oil), rinsed (fill with tap water and drain)
Light Mayo
minced yellow onions
dill

Instead of bread (for the sandwich) it is also good with some Club crackers.

Take the tuna, drop it in the bin. Take the salad, drop it on the compost heap. Grill some craft-produced smoked dry-cure bacon and put that in the sandwich.

Top Bottom