What's new

how do you make your Tuna Salad Sandwich??

Tuna
Egg
Mayo
Mustard
Fresh dill
Smoked paprika
Green onion
Serrano chili

I don't measure anything out but I don't go crazy with the mayo. I hate too much mayo in tuna salad. Yuck.

Here goes
drained tuna
equal parts Hellman's Mayo and sour cream
sweet pickle relish
diced onion
chopped egg
kosher salt
cracked pepper
dried ginger
dried mustard
I am going to have to try capers as I think they would add to the mix

I used to make the blandest tuna salad, but now my brother-in-law has us hooked on this recipe:
  • 1 can Genovo tonno in olive oil, mostly drained
  • capers
  • shallot
  • a smidge of mayo or Greek yoghurt
  • fresh cracked pepper
Usually enjoyed with kinda hearty crackers instead of on a sandwich. I've also heard of people adding olives and/or celery into this mix, as well as a li'l squeeze of lemon, though I've not strayed from the recipe initially shared with us.

I like to use the tuna packed in olive oil. Failing that, regular vegetable oil packed.

I add mayo (Blue Plate strongly preferred), dill weed, and maybe a little habanero or Tabasco sauce. Simple, but good.

Tim

I add cream cheese, ketchup, and a wee bit of grape jelly. Then it all gets mushed together to form a very tasty, delectable paste. :biggrin:

OldSaw

The wife's investment
What about Cheez Whiz, anyone use Cheez Whiz?

1/2 tsp. tuna (optional)
1/2 pound of thin sliced rib eye steak
1/2 large onion, chopped
Cheez Whiz
Hoagie roll

Fry onions and steak. Fill hoagie with steak and onions, top with Cheez Whiz. If you desire, smear the tuna on the hoagie roll before filling with steak and onion.

Last edited:
tuna
Miracle Whip
eggs
chopped onions
chopped or pressed garlic
salt and pepper to taste

Mix it all together and mash it up real good. Put it between two pieces of white bread, toasted or not. If cut, it must be done diagonally. Cutting across makes it taste wrong.

Last edited:
I don't add chilli like many here. For tuna I mix mayo and wasabi, and usually add cucumber and lettuce to the sandwich.

edit:
Which reminds me. I've read several times of the years that many folks enjoy a shot of Soy Sauce in their tuna. I tried it and it's not for me. Anyone out there a Tuna-Soy Sauce person?
I'd add soy sauce to tuna on a plated salad, but not in a sandwich as that's just asking for soggy bread. I love soy sauce on most things (noodles, salads, potato) though.

Here's a great thing to make, tuna patties with potato. Boil potatos, make a mash, mix with tuna, bread crumbs and eggs. Form into patties and fry them off.
Great to have with a salad and soy sauce/chilli sauce or mustard. Great to put into a sandwich while warm too.

Last edited:
does anyone have any concerns from the mercury content of tuna?

Depends on the tuna. IIRC*, chunk light tuna is taken from smaller tuna who are only around 2 years old and have minimal mercury content and you can eat that several times a week.

*I saw it on Good Eats. Look on Youtube for the relevant clip.

Here goes
drained tuna
equal parts Hellman's Mayo and sour cream
sweet pickle relish
diced onion
chopped egg
kosher salt
cracked pepper
dried ginger
dried mustard
I am going to have to try capers as I think they would add to the mix

That sounds wonderful. I must say though I would pass on the capers.
I was so hungry this morning after my bike ride I almost went for tuna but decided my kids sweet terrible for you cereal sounded better.

OK, mine...

Tuna
mayo (just a little)
Hungarian hot paprika
black pepper
chopped celery
and a squeeze of lime juice.

Lots of great ideas from others here, though. I will be trying one of them (not sure which yet) this morning.

My wife's recipe is to make it simple-
Tuna (chunk light)
diced tomato
diced pickles
mayo
lots of garlic salt (yummy)

on toasted white or sourdough bread, it is SOOOO good! + pickle on the side!
:001_tt1::001_tt1:

Restaurants use the large cans of tuna and a higher grade Mayonnaise. Nothing fancy. Let it setup for 6-12 hours to bring flavors together. For the sandwich itself, onion, lettuce, tomato, some people like olive, banana peppers, hot sauce, American cheese, some like it melted. Some like provolone instead, and some like without cheese. I have even seen it with bacon added to it. Salt, pepper, spices.

I think for home it has to be Bumblebee. Some like it packed in olive oil and some like water. I like Pepperidge Farm white bread, 2 tbl of butter into a pan on low heat. Tuna and a cheese that melts, Monterey Jack, Munster orange, Swiss, American. You give it 20 minutes and turn it over with another 2 tbl of butter on the lowest setting. If you like, you add Frank's Hot Sauce to it. And maybe some lettuce. Some omit the lettuce or garnish on the side with a whole dill pickle. Optional serve with chips (or crisps for you people over the pond).

Cut sandwich into diamond shaped or rectangles and serve on the bias. And if you like super fancy try a hot pepper jam. No toothpick. Serve piping hot with tomato soup.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Drained water-pack tuna
Hellmans mayo
S&P
chopped water chestnuts
celery seed
on toast w/lettuce

(Same for chicken salad but omit the celery seed, add dried chopped cranberries.)
Sue
I love chopped water chestnuts in tuna or chicken salad

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I've developed a family famous tuna salad over the years.

Albacore Tuna
Mayo (usually Hellman's)
Hard boiled eggs... 2 per large can of tuna
Horse radish to taste
Chopped water chestnuts
Goya AllSpice with pepper
Green Chili sauce

I think that's it.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
This thread is 13 years old, but I love tuna salad (chicken and ham salad too) and I'm always game for a good recipe to improve that which is nearly perfect on its own.
I have to admit that my favorite way to eat tuna salad is not on a sandwich, but over cut tomatoes and avacados.
A terrific summertime meal that beats the heat.

Top Bottom