What's new

Hollowest of the Hollow

Can it be done without the double grinder..sure. It's just not as quick.
There are a handful of guys that do it already.
Here is a interesting pic I took yesterday.
It's a Fili, Boker, one of mine and a later production Joseph Roger.
This represents the typical grind on BRW razors (which I consider 1/2 hollow).
Can I (or others) go thinner, sure but it gets a little more delicate...lol
View attachment 707641

Sounds like a custom commission challenge to me....now if we could only find someone to fund it....lol

Here is my most recent.

$DSCN1634.jpg
$DSCN1637.jpg

I would have to say a Filarmonica 14 is as hollow as it gets.

While technically it's probably 1/2, the lower edge half is as thin as you will ever get.

Really - couldn't agree more - one of the finest razors ever made hands down, Palmera 14 , Henckels 14 - all made from fine steel and ground to perfection by hand.

Frankly, the new razors, the tool steel, like shaving with a wrench that was turned into a razor, machine ground, have many new production razors, and haven't been a fan for years - as always YMMV...sold most of mine off long ago

Last edited:
Some impressively thin razors here!

I think the thinnest I've ever seen was a half-hollow Japanese made 1960s piece someone sent to hone once, at least by % of overall length that was next to nothing.

Frankly, the new razors, the tool steel, like shaving with a wrench that was turned into a razor, machine ground, have many new production razors, and haven't been a fan for years - as always YMMV...sold most of mine off long ago

Recipes have definitely changed a whole bunch over the late 19th century into the 21st, and maybe it is fair to say the older ones they've all deserted were better and were simply given up for the forgeries because, in our dwindling numbers, the forgeries can't justify a recipe ideal to straight razors, so they take what they can get. Much the same describes why the O1 is so popular for home brewing in the Western Hemisphere, or why parts for a horse's maintenance cost more in relative dollars than they did before the Titanic.

But I've personally been to 3 different factories in Solingen watching them make straight razors for an hour or so, and not a single element of the *grinding* of the straight razors was ever lacking a human's hand simultaneously upon the blade and free to manipulate its blade/grinder relationship...there were some steps automated, but they weren't reducing metal or were early on well before the tempering process. If that is what counts as "machine ground" then we can play that game all day, and say that any tools are therefore machines. To me something's "machine ground" if there is an automated step of grinding (which, in fact, there *are* razors produced now which do this for some parts and then do other parts all by hands-on-blanks).

So then at what point does the edge not hold up to the everyday shaving abuse? Its seems to me there is a point of no return where its like using a disposable and would require a refresh on a stone NOT a strop after use? Would this type of edge just be to sharp or keen to shave with?

It wouldnt cost to much to commission someone like Brian B or others to make a kami style blade, nothing fancy, to play this game. Im just not sure that their would be a reason.....

Now maybe a razor that give a single pass BBS might catch ones attention....lol.

Some impressively thin razors here!

I think the thinnest I've ever seen was a half-hollow Japanese made 1960s piece someone sent to hone once, at least by % of overall length that was next to nothing.

Recipes have definitely changed a whole bunch over the late 19th century into the 21st, and maybe it is fair to say the older ones they've all deserted were better and were simply given up for the forgeries because, in our dwindling numbers, the forgeries can't justify a recipe ideal to straight razors, so they take what they can get. Much the same describes why the O1 is so popular for home brewing in the Western Hemisphere, or why parts for a horse's maintenance cost more in relative dollars than they did before the Titanic.

But I've personally been to 3 different factories in Solingen watching them make straight razors for an hour or so, and not a single element of the *grinding* of the straight razors was ever lacking a human's hand simultaneously upon the blade and free to manipulate its blade/grinder relationship...there were some steps automated, but they weren't reducing metal or were early on well before the tempering process. If that is what counts as "machine ground" then we can play that game all day, and say that any tools are therefore machines. To me something's "machine ground" if there is an automated step of grinding (which, in fact, there *are* razors produced now which do this for some parts and then do other parts all by hands-on-blanks).

I agree 100%

So then at what point does the edge not hold up to the everyday shaving abuse? Would this type of edge just be to sharp or keen to shave with?
Both of these questions are related to the bevel angle which is determined by the width to spine thickness ratio. The hollowness has nothing to do with it. A very thin blade does flex easily and requires a light touch while honing, and if it is too thin honing becomes problematic, but this would be the worst the first time it is honed. So if the the razor is honed it is 'tried and true' so to speak.

Good question though.

Last edited:
Are you measuring directly behind the bevel. That measurement is important as it dictates the bevel width, but IMO the thickness a 1/4" back from the edge in combination with the measurement at the back of the bevel will describe the flexibility more accurately.

Rather tardy I'm afraid - sorry.

Yes like the other poster, I measured just behind the edge.

C.

Top Bottom