What's new

Hollowest of the Hollow

I think I might like to somewhat change the complexion of my straight razor quiver.
I am currently ate up with 1/4 hollow-ish grind blades. Zowada, Stark, Hart, Brown...

Also have a half hollow from Robert Williams and a bevy of blades in all variations of "Full Hollow" from Dovo, Boker, Ralf Aust, Thiers-Issard.

I own two "Extra Hollow" blades; Boker Silver Steel and Jerry Stark extra hollow. The Boker is the undisputed King of The Hollow; nothing even comes close. A moderate second in the run is ironically my Ralf Aust full hollow blades. All three sing like a doo-wop trio. The Stark and T-I bring up the rear; good blades, but lacking the flex of the others.

All being said, I'm looking for another crazy hollow grind razor not unlike the Silver Steel. I am told a Dovo Prima Klang might fit the bill, but I am not fan of 5/8 blades. A bespoke custom isn't out of the question but it would have to have the necessary cred before purchase. Any help??

Swedish shoulderless like Klas Törnblom, Berg or Hellberg.
Filarmonica razors are also very hollow.
The same goes for some 6/8 Solingen vintage razors like Dorko.
There are a lot of others as well.

Oh..I did forget (and am most sorry I did..please accept my apologies in advance) I have zero interest in old, antique, vintage, collectable, heirloom, shave equipment. Had some "vintage" gear once or twice. No love at all. Only possible exception would be a Heljestrand. Great looking for sure. There would be the one possible rule breaker

Last edited:
If that is the case a large Aust could be your answer. That, or the Prima Klang

$IMG_3126.jpg
You are spot on about the Ralf Austs. This 7/8 is one of the crown jewels of the quiver. Aust (in my opinion) makes the unrivaled BEST production razor available today.

I would have to say a Filarmonica 14 is as hollow as it gets.

While technically it's probably 1/2, the lower edge half is as thin as you will ever get.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I agree with Doc, the Filarmonica 14's are the most hollow grinds I've seen.

7/8 Dorkos are pretty easy to find in excellent shape and they are beautifully hollow. I love Boker's Silver Steel also. I've got 2 of them. LOL

Also have a half hollow from Robert Williams and a bevy of blades in all variations of "Full Hollow" from Dovo, Boker, Ralf Aust, Thiers-Issard.

I own two "Extra Hollow" blades; Boker Silver Steel and Jerry Stark extra hollow. The Boker is the undisputed King of The Hollow; nothing even comes close. A moderate second in the run is ironically my Ralf Aust full hollow blades. All three sing like a doo-wop trio. The Stark and T-I bring up the rear; good blades, but lacking the flex of the others.

I'd like to see a pic of the grid if you have can get a good one.
All the ones I've seen have been a good bit thicker then what I would describe as a full hollow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ACJrAI3SxM

Anyone know if this thin razors were made as in this film with a serie of abrasive wheels (2:02 in to the film)?

I didn't watch the whole thing but it's Dovo, so I'm assuming you're talking at the double wheel wet grinder.
All euro production razors and all of the vintage razors posted are indeed ground on that type of grinder.

Top Bottom