What's new

High Efficiency Razors Summer 2022

I like Kingfisher just got my Sterling SS razor today too. I had to order it with both plates after a friend let me use his with both the Standard and Hyper-Aggressive plates. I did ok with the Standard but Hyper-Aggressive plate was like nothing I have ever experienced.

I am determined to master (survive) this razor…I hope.

6/24/22 High Efficiency SOTD

Blackbird Ti SB
Feather
Rudy Vey 26mm DG B14
Ethos Lavender
Hyaluronic Acid
Lucky Old Man
IMG_3317.jpg

High Efficiency SOTD Friday Morning 6/24/2022

IMG_20220624_080001099.jpg

Razor:
Fatip Grande Chrome Open Comb
Blade: Kai (7)
Brush: Frank Shaving 2-Band Manchurian Finest Badger Brush
Pre-Shave: CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser Bar, Cremo Classic Shave Cream
Soap: Speick Shaving Stick
Aftershave: Ice water, Pinaud Clubman A/S, Duke Cannon A/S Balm
Growth: 61 hours
Passes: WTG, XTG, touchup
Rating: 10/10

Results: Hot summer morning. Completed my first Ice Cold Shave. I filled a basin with ice cubes & used this ice water to prep my beard before the shave, between passes & after the shave. Brrrrrrr!!!! 🥶 Dolphin Smooth BBS result! Invigorating Shave!!!

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
High Efficiency June

Tonight’s shave
RazoRock JAWS 0.84
Shark Super Stainless (2)
Damp washcloth aka “shave binky”
Ω Ξvo 28mm synthetic brush
Pre-shave: hot shower
Lather: Canada Shaving Soap, face-lathered
Post-shave: face wash with shave binky

I may have overloaded my brush…. I definitely had a timely and very close shave.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
High Efficiency SOTD Friday Morning 6/24/2022

View attachment 1477731

Razor:
Fatip Grande Chrome Open Comb
Blade: Kai (7)
Brush: Frank Shaving 2-Band Manchurian Finest Badger Brush
Pre-Shave: CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser Bar, Cremo Classic Shave Cream
Soap: Speick Shaving Stick
Aftershave: Ice water, Pinaud Clubman A/S, Duke Cannon A/S Balm
Growth: 61 hours
Passes: WTG, XTG, touchup
Rating: 10/10

Results: Hot summer morning. Completed my first Ice Cold Shave. I filled a basin with ice cubes & used this ice water to prep my beard before the shave, between passes & after the shave. Brrrrrrr!!!! 🥶 Dolphin Smooth BBS result! Invigorating Shave!!!
Nice setup! Love that brush my friend! Beautiful.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
High Efficiency June and July 2022
20220624_120204~2.jpg

Razor: Schöne OC
Blade: German Bolzano (3)
Brush: @Rudy Vey White Zebra Stripe (Shavemac 24mm D01 3-Band Silvertip Fan)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: WSP Formula T Tobacco
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum
Fragrance: Belcam Volatile EdT Spray
20220624_120239~2.jpg

Superb shave! :cool:

Notes from today's shave: never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-11820092

• 25/30 days in GRUME June (83.33% completed, still in!)
  • 24/30 days High Efficiency Razors in June
  • 175/176 days of 365 days of shaving (99.4%)
  • Steep Angle Shaving Alliance (SASA)

Prep:Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Razor:Fatip Special Edition Open Comb
Blade:King C Gillette (13)
Brush:Razorock Plissoft 400 Aluminium
Cream:Lavanda
Bowl:Proraso Green
Passes:
W-XTG (2) / ATG (2)
Slanted on the neck
Aftershave:Proraso Green
Balm:Proraso Green
Rating:9.0/10 BBS

Notes to today’s shave can be found here:A newbies journey into DE shaving - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/a-newbies-journey-into-de-shaving.622889/post-11820175

Have a Great day everyone

20220625_084849-01-01-01-01.jpeg

Brush: Shavemac D01 2-band Silvertip badger 24/50
Blade: Feather (1)
Soap: Murphy and McNeil Gael Laoch
Razor: Blackland Blackbird Stainless Steel Open Comb
AS: Schröder und Mann Majestät AS

Finally, a shave.
And boy, how I needed this shave. Today's task was to remove four day worth of growth. The candidates for such a mission were either the Stirling SC razor (with the HA plate), Mühle's R41 GS or the SS B'Bird in the open comb variant.

I chose the open combed stainless steel B'Bird.I loaded a fresh Feather blade and - lift off! (pun intended).

Within three highly enjoyable passes the agile B'Bird mowed down all the stubble. The level of efficiency with this combo was ridiculous. No nicks.

Since I unintendedly missed some stubble under the jaw line I exercised some cleaning strokes in this area.
I closed my eyes whilst doing so and let only the amazing audio feedback guide me. I could merely hear every single hair being cut. Precision galore. Beyond this point: the sound of silence.

A stellar shave.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
That's correct, Brad.
I was going to order one, but two things stopped me. First, the whole “made in China” thing bugs me. I have no issue with Stirling selling these, as they have been very open about their whole vendor problem. I have no huge issue with Chinese razors either. They have their place. But I have been trying to stick with high end artisan produced razors for anything new that I will add to my collection. Not a snob or anything, but I am at that point in my razor collecting career where I have way too many razors and need to be highly selective now. Secondly, and more importantly, I already have enough razors that are at, or above, my threshold for razor aggressiveness. And even the ST plate seems like a beast.

Razor: Blackland Vector (54)
Blade: Feather AC Professional Blade (5)
Pre-Shave: Hot shower
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft Monster Synthetic Shaving Brush - 26mm
Lather: Stirling Soap Co Sheep
Aftershave: Cold water rinse; Alum; Thayer’s Witch Hazel Aloe Vera Coconut; Stirling Unscented Post Shave Balm

No nicks; No irritation; Very Close and Very smooth. A pleasant DFS+ steep angle shave. 4 passes + touchups.

Alum report was medium low.

Shave log summary 20220620

Cheers!!!

I was going to order one, but two things stopped me. First, the whole “made in China” thing bugs me. I have no issue with Stirling selling these, as they have been very open about their whole vendor problem. I have no huge issue with Chinese razors either. They have their place. But I have been trying to stick with high end artisan produced razors for anything new that I will add to my collection. Not a snob or anything, but I am at that point in my razor collecting career where I have way too many razors and need to be highly selective now.
You have a point here (considering your large collection), however, I wouldn’t expect Stirling to sell a razor which doesn't meet their expectation in terms of utmost quality of the product.

I'd expect Rod from Stirling to rather bin the base plates than selling them if the quality had flaws.

Perhaps others will chime in who already bought the product @kingfisher @Cannon Cocker @never-stop-learning .

Secondly, and more importantly, I already have enough razors that are at, or above, my threshold for razor aggressiveness. And even the ST plate seems like a beast.
Imo the ST plate isn't overly aggressive, she just provides a higher amount of blade feel (some will even say: a lot of blade feel).

However, the HA plate definitely is a different animal. The blade feel is close to borderline acceptable for my face, but still, it is a true experience to shave with it, and once you got the angle right, it's not meanicing anymore if you have your technique down.

In other words: For me, it's a razor for occasional use, but whenever I use it, it kicks *ss. :)

But she isn't a bride for every man 😉

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I was going to order one, but two things stopped me. First, the whole “made in China” thing bugs me. I have no issue with Stirling selling these, as they have been very open about their whole vendor problem. I have no huge issue with Chinese razors either. They have their place. But I have been trying to stick with high end artisan produced razors for anything new that I will add to my collection. Not a snob or anything, but I am at that point in my razor collecting career where I have way too many razors and need to be highly selective now. Secondly, and more importantly, I already have enough razors that are at, or above, my threshold for razor aggressiveness. And even the ST plate seems like a beast.
I ended up getting one, with both plates. :)

Can't help myself - have to see how the HA plate compares to the Roedter 1909. ;) :)

It's on tap for Tuesday's shave. :)

BOSC Science demands personal sacrifice! :letterk1:

I can assure you that the razor's machining, tolerances, and polish are absolutely top tier.

As for how aggressive it is, it does have a lot of blade feel, probably more than any razor I have tried besides the Yaqi Knight Helmet, but the shave left me with no irritation at all. So maybe it feels more aggressive than it really is? I don't really know, since I have only had one shave with it.
But it is far more blade forward than, for example, the Blackbird.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20220624_154602~2.jpg

Razor: ATT Mixed Metal CH1 (@Rosseforp GTS 25g Cu/Al Handle)
Blade: Personna Med Prep (3)
Brush: @Rudy Vey 2022 B&B Contributors Brush (Mühle 25mm STF)
20220624_154641~2.jpg

Superb Razor! :cool:

Notes from today's shave: never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-11820905

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
View attachment 1478161
Razor: ATT Mixed Metal CH1 (@Rosseforp GTS 25g Cu/Al Handle)
Blade: Personna Med Prep (3)
Brush: @Rudy Vey 2022 B&B Contributors Brush (Mühle 25mm STF)
View attachment 1478162
Superb Razor! :cool:

Notes from today's shave: never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-11820905
Doug's handles are things of beauty....

Top Bottom