What's new

June & July are High Efficiency Razor Months.....

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Last night of high efficiency months and the Micromatic Open Comb and GEM PTFE (8) came out to save me from my gentle, ol‘ straight razor with my second one-and-done edge on it. Oops.

It was a high-efficiency lather that saved the shave. So much water and so much Col Conk Unscented and the Micromatic was ecstatic, but only ate stubble and no skin.

M

mtcn77

No pic today, but I had a great shave with the Stirling Stainless Hyper Aggressive base plate and a fresh Feather yellow blade. Aggravated a minor slice from yesterday's Yaqi Slant shave, but it calmed down quickly. I enjoy this razor quite a bit - About two passes and done.
Hi, how would you compared them between each other?

Hi, how would you compared them between each other?
Hmmm. The only slant that I have ever shaved with is the Yaqi, so I want to make it clear that my experience is limited in that style of razor. I think the Stirling HA is probably the most efficient razor I have ever shaved with. I appreciate the design and the materials. The Yaqi slant itself is kind of amazing for the cost, and an efficient razor in its own right, but I would rather shave with the Stirling (or my recently acquired Wolf). I'll keep the yaqi around for an occasional diversion, but it is not for me something I am going to reach for often. Efficiency-wise, the Yaqi slant is probably close to the Stirling ST base plate, or maybe a 2013 design R41, although with less chatter. As always YMMV.

M

mtcn77

Hmmm. The only slant that I have ever shaved with is the Yaqi, so I want to make it clear that my experience is limited in that style of razor. I think the Stirling HA is probably the most efficient razor I have ever shaved with. I appreciate the design and the materials. The Yaqi slant itself is kind of amazing for the cost, and an efficient razor in its own right, but I would rather shave with the Stirling (or my recently acquired Wolf). I'll keep the yaqi around for an occasional diversion, but it is not for me something I am going to reach for often. Efficiency-wise, the Yaqi slant is probably close to the Stirling ST base plate, or maybe a 2013 design R41, although with less chatter. As always YMMV.
Much obliged! Wish you the best!

M

mtcn77

The HA plate Stirling is crazy. It's a one pass dfs kinda machine, I don't use mine often but I'm confident it could remove a couple months growth with minimal effort and a sharp blade.
i have a question for you to answer: I see Stirling is making a cheaper zinc chrome plated version, too. Is it the same aggression as the original even without all the ornamental flutes on the top cap and stamp at its two sides? I think I can spare for the privilege if it is the same spec as the original steel HA version.

Last edited by a moderator:
i have a question for you to answer: I see Stirling is making a cheaper zinc chrome plated version, too. Is it the same aggression as the original even without all the ornamental flutes on the top cap and stamp at its two sides? I think I can spare for the priviledge if it is the same spec as the original steel HA version.
As far as I know Rob only made a single production set of the Stirling stainless. I don't believe the zinc version is a copy of the stainless. I may be wrong though, I haven't looked since I got the stainless razor. The standard plate is a real treat imo.

As far as I know Rob only made a single production set of the Stirling stainless. I don't believe the zinc version is a copy of the stainless. I may be wrong though, I haven't looked since I got the stainless razor. The standard plate is a real treat imo.
As far as I know, Sinnbad is right. the other razors they are offering in non stainless are not the same design (or even close). Their original US made batch of razors was a run of something like 200 that they sold out of. I am not sure if they decided to make more or not.

2EF35ADD-35F0-4C46-90AC-733E25F5223F.jpeg

Blackland Vector SS
Kai Protouch MG Pink
Declaration Grooming
PALADIN

SUPERB Shave 😎

Top Bottom