What's new

Suggestions for a razor tryout order?

Hello, B&B! After a couple of false starts in 2007 (when I first joined B&B) and 2014, I finally started DE shaving in earnest in July. My first DE was a Merkur 34C, which I still have. For my third attempt at DE, I decided to start with a Parker Semi-slant after reading posts that suggested it a good fit for sensitive skin and a course beard. And that has been the case for me. Unlike my attempt in 2007, the slant has been giving me overall really good shaves, and I’m only doing the beginner two-pass, N-S. Using exclusively Astra SP at the moment, based on a suggestion I’d seen back in 2014 (though I couldn’t resist getting some mega-sampler packs off of Amazon, so if you think I should try something different, let me hear it).

Shortly after I came back in July I made the mistake of wandering into the BST. Hoo, boy. Shouldn’t have done that. :) “Oh, cool, that’d be neat to have a birth year razor. Oh, and there’s another slant to try. And another. Oh, hey, check it out—if I buy three shipping’s free!” And so it went. I came down with a bad case of RAD and SAD and a lesser case of BAD.

I’d like to say the RAD is over, but given that I ended up purchasing a mixed lot of three tonight after reading some good things about the Gillette Tech on B&B and then wondering how much they cost and then putting in a bid on the Bay, I’m not going to guarantee it. And I do know I still want to try a German 37 and a Fatip Lo Storto. But I am going to hold off as best I can.

Meanwhile, I’d like to set up an order in which to take the razors I've purchased for a spin. Contrary to what it looks like from the below list, my end goal is not to have all the razors in the world, but to improve my technique and focus on a core collection that give great shaves + have some variety in my shaves. And I bought each of these with some thought given to general regard in the community, reviews, and what I think I might like. I definitely do not intend to keep all of these—the majority will hit the BST or be PIF’d or donated after I’ve done some experimenting to see what works for me.

My current thinking is to keep the soap or cream (once I’ve found one I consistently get good shaves with) and blades consistent and then rotate through the razors in a set order. I may end up keeping the brush the same, too, if I see too much inconsistency in the lather as a result of different brushes.

As for the razors, I’d be curious to know what y’all thought of the following tryout order:

Merkur 34C

Muhle R89

Maggard V2 (safety bar)

Standard Razors aluminum

Wilkinson Sword TTO

Gillette Super Speed (maybe—this was included in the lot I purchased tonight and has some plating issues on one side of the safety bar that may make it unusable; won’t know for sure until I try it)

Gillette Slim

Parker Semi-slant

Fine Superlite Slant

Maggard slant

iKon X3

Gillette Tech

Parker 24C open comb

Muhle R41

Shick Injector

Gem Jr.

Gem MMOC

My overall thought is to work the DEs from mild to aggressive/efficient and then try out the SEs in the same general pattern. What do you think?

Also, how much is enough time with each—two weeks? A month? Or would I be better off sticking with one only until I’m doing consistent three-pass shaves with beard growth taken into account (versus my two-pass N-S currently)? And, if so, which one?

Curious to get your thoughts on how you might proceed or to hear how you’ve proceeded on your on journey to better shaves.

Thanks!

I would try the Slim as it gives a wide range.

Some people use it more aggressive for the WTG passes and back it off to a milder setting with the ATG pass - which might help.

Personally I used it to gauge what kind of mild/aggressive level I preferred (ended up being mild to middle).

You can never go wrong with a Tech - I own 9 now I think 😳

I too like slants and if I was every told I could only have one razor for the rest of my days I would keep a slant just because it can handle multiple days growth and feel like a hot knife through soft butter.

Some people use it more aggressive for the WTG passes and back it off to a milder setting with the ATG pass - which might help.

Personally I used it to gauge what kind of mild/aggressive level I preferred (ended up being mild to middle).

I too like slants and if I was every told I could only have one razor for the rest of my days I would keep a slant just because it can handle multiple days growth and feel like a hot knife through soft butter.

+1! Starting with the Slim is a good idea as it gives you a range of options.

At this point, the biggest variable is your technique IMO. You may progress faster by sticking with one set-up for awhile as you figure out how to get the most out of one razor. Just my $0.02!!

As to the rotation order, it makes no difference. Randomness in life has an element of sweetness. You may be over-thinking the task.

As to how much time with each razor, it depends. Sometime you will know in one shave that this razor is not for you. But to become "an expert" on a razor, I suggest one to two weeks.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

At this point, the biggest variable is your technique IMO. You may progress faster by sticking with one set-up for awhile as you figure out how to get the most out of one razor. Just my $0.02!!
As to the rotation order, it makes no difference. Randomness in life has an element of sweetness. You may be over-thinking the task.

As to how much time with each razor, it depends. Sometime you will know in one shave that this razor is not for you. But to become "an expert" on a razor, I suggest one to two weeks.

+1 to all of the above advice. :)

Thanks, @MyOldKentuckyHome–that's a great idea! Plus, the razor is really sweet (thanks, @Chango and the BST!). I'm looking forward to trying the Tech, too. It looks to be in excellent condition based on the pictures.

Great point about the technique, @BigJ! I appreciate your input!

Thanks, @santamariasteve! "Overthinking" is my middle name. :lol: All kidding aside, I love the idea of injecting some randomness--great idea! Also, thanks for the input on the length of time. I'll post in a minute about how I'm going to use all of y'all's advice.

+1 to all of the above advice. :)

Thanks, @never-stop-learning! Much appreciated!

Being primarily a DE razor user and having tried some AC blade SE razors, I am curious about those Schick injector razors. So, my vote goes for that one.

Thanks, @mitotiani! I'm curious about them myself! And those vintage ones are too cool!

Guys, thanks for the thoughtful responses! Here's what I've decided: I'm going to stick with the Parker until I try my remaining soaps (approximately 8 mixed samples and full soaps left). Then, I'm going to narrow down to the top three I've had the best results with and then pick one winner for the time being. While I'm doing that I'm going to try and work on my technique, leaving behind the strict N-S and branching out to WTG, XTG, and, maybe, some ATG.

Then, I'll use exclusively the Astra SP and my top soap or cream while trying out the razors. First up will be the Gillette Slim, which I'll put through its paces while working my way up the settings.

After that, I'm going to randomize things per @santamariasteve's suggestions and roll the dice (literally) to see what's next. I originally thought I'd hold something like the R41 in reserve, but what the heck I'll put all of them in the mix (though, to be fair, if that one rolls early and I don't like it I'll try it again later because that may be technique--especially at an early stage). I'll spend as much time as needed with each one, but at least one to two weeks to give each a fair shot.

Instead of keeping notes somewhere on my computer, I think I'll start a thread in the Journals and Diaries section. Who knows, my notes might be helpful to someone sometime. Or, at the very least, they can laugh at my foibles.

This will be fun!

Guys, thanks for the thoughtful responses! Here's what I've decided: I'm going to stick with the Parker until I try my remaining soaps (approximately 8 mixed samples and full soaps left). Then, I'm going to narrow down to the top three I've had the best results with and then pick one winner for the time being. While I'm doing that I'm going to try and work on my technique, leaving behind the strict N-S and branching out to WTG, XTG, and, maybe, some ATG.

Then, I'll use exclusively the Astra SP and my top soap or cream while trying out the razors. First up will be the Gillette Slim, which I'll put through its paces while working my way up the settings.

After that, I'm going to randomize things per @santamariasteve's suggestions and roll the dice (literally) to see what's next. I originally thought I'd hold something like the R41 in reserve, but what the heck I'll put all of them in the mix (though, to be fair, if that one rolls early and I don't like it I'll try it again later because that may be technique--especially at an early stage). I'll spend as much time as needed with each one, but at least one to two weeks to give each a fair shot.

Instead of keeping notes somewhere on my computer, I think I'll start a thread in the Journals and Diaries section. Who knows, my notes might be helpful to someone sometime. Or, at the very least, they can laugh at my foibles.

This will be fun!
I approve of this email. Brother Blackbird seems like a wise man.

This will be fun!
As usual, good advice. My go to DE is a ‘64 slim, that razor can be dialled in under almost any circumstances. I apologize in advance for this but I wish I’d heard it earlier... ever used a Straight razor?

As usual, good advice. My go to DE is a ‘64 slim, that razor can be dialled in under almost any circumstances. I apologize in advance for this but I wish I’d heard it earlier... ever used a Straight razor?

I have not, but am definitely interested at some point @Cool Shave Luke! There is something very cool about a straight, but I currently know next to nothing about them. I figured I'd best get the DE and SE down before attempting a straight. But I definitely want to try one! Great name, by the way! I don't think I mentioned it above, but my Slim is a '68.

Having aquired that lot already I would put anything with Parker or 89 in the name to one side. And the Wilkinson TTO. Very mild razors that clog up too easily imho. Maybe try a Tech. If you can get BBS with a Tech there's little point progressing to an R41 or anything even more aggressive. If not then that's a good baseline. The Astra SP is a great blade, so stick with that while you experiment with different razors. That's what I'd do, with the benefit of hindsight. Nothing wrong with an adjustable, as others have suggested, but that's adding more variables at the start.

Top Bottom