What's new

High efficiency, low blade feel razors?

I know this will raise some controversy, but I vote for the Karve Overlander. To me it's very efficient and has little to no blade feel.
Why do you think it controversial to recommend the overlander? Most people seem to really like it and I’ve had this razor recommended to me several times by different people

Why do you think it controversial to recommend the overlander? Most people seem to really like it and I’ve had this razor recommended to me several times by different people
Some really like it and others say it's too mild. I love the OL in both the Aluminum and Brass. Seems many believe you have to have a high blade gap to be efficient, but I do believe the OL shoots that down, but again, is only my opinion.

Lots of razors fit that bill, from the MingShi 3000s (TTO Adjustable) on the low end, the Fatip Lo Sorto OC (nearly zero blade feel, still efficient), Karve razors are very smooth w/low blade feel yet efficient, I'd include the Rockwell 6s (even R6 has little blade feel & very smooth), Timeless as mentioned on the mid-upper price range. Can't speak for some of the more expensive or harder to obtain Artisan models, not having used them. - Believe it or not, the PAA OC Slants, such as the Filament & Monster Series don't have a lot of blade feel, you feel the plastic teeth more than the blade, and highly efficient. (Also priced pretty low). There are quite a few razors that are both efficient and have low blade feel.

There are also some vintage razors, the Gillette NEW SC (already mentioned) and LC, Slim has low blade feel, even wide open, and with the right blade nicely efficient. Mind you, the Slim isn't R41 Efficient, but then not much is, and keeps the blade feel that low in the DE realm. - There are a few highly highly efficient SE razors, with little blade feel, or very management blade feel and smooth. (Injectors, Excalibur, and several other Artisan Blade and even GEM models).

I have a brass CB with the G safety bar plate. It is very efficient, but it will provide a bit more blade feel than the FOCS. Interestingly, I find that the new Fatip Il Grosso has less blade feel with equal efficiency as the FOCS (but I've never had much luck with slants). My newest razor, the RazoRock Lupo .95 open comb, is very efficient with a bit less blade feel than the CB and a bit more than the FOCS.
Interesting. I have the Grande and I find it has more blade feel than the FOCS.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Agreed Jim. Also I'd put the Taiga here as well. They'd cover every razor mentioned until now and every razor mentioned afterwards.

Facts.

Indeed, Gus.

Thanks again for helping me figure out awhile back what I needed to know about the major players in the modern adjustable razor world. I say that, but also can't say I didn't go a bit overboard with the credit cards and basically order them all.

(I didn't acquire the Rex Ambassador because it sounds like it doesn't have the low end I require, and it might not be smooth enough for me; not that you were promoting the Ambassador.)

To me, the Taiga is a great razor by any standard. I'd like it better were the handle thick. I could say the same about the Muramasa. The Muramasa has a limited range. Its range might be insufficient for many, but its range works great for me.

If I were forced to sell all my razors but one...

Happy shaves,

Jim

Ran the Taiga on setting no. 2 (which is actually 1)....excellent close shave
with minimal blade feel....I think settings like this are more forgiving on my
skin.

I noticed no one has mentioned an Ambassador, but that's a fantastically efficient razor with very little blade feel at its lower settings (say, 3 and below).

From the ten or so razor I have (new and vintage) two stand out:
1. Parker Semi Slant. Some blade feel, but gee is this an efficient razor. I'd say, it has at least 90 % of the efficiency of the R41 with much less blade feel.
2. English flat bottom fat handle Tech. Very mild and smooth shaver with surprising efficiency. Pair it with a sharp blade and a slick leather and you'll be wondering if you are shaving or just sliding an empty razor, it is that smooth. Yet the end result is surprisingly good after just two passes.

Literally one of the most blade-feely razors I've ever used.
On lower settings I don't know how that's possible. The Ambassador, Progress, Flexi, TFC, etc. all are EXTREMELY mild on low settings; too mild even for normal use in my opinion. That's the great thing about them, they're SO flexible across their adjustment range: mild on one end and aggressive on the other. But to each his own... I guess I just don't come away with the same experience as others. 🤷‍♂️

On lower settings I don't know how that's possible. The Ambassador, Progress, Flexi, TFC, etc. all are EXTREMELY mild on low settings; too mild even for normal use in my opinion. That's the great thing about them, they're SO flexible across their adjustment range: mild on one end and aggressive on the other. But to each his own... I guess I just don't come away with the same experience as others. 🤷‍♂️
This is a YMMV hobby after all.
I just found the Rex really blade feely across all settings.
I do have very sensitive skin, so we will have different experiences.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I just got a lovely three pass BBS with an Above the Tie Windsor, the mild copper plate, and a six day old Personna Lab Blue. They now make a mild/medium plate.

Top Bottom