What's new

High efficiency, low blade feel razors?

I'd be happy to use my Fatip Open Comb Slant (FOCS) Razor as my one and only for the rest of my life but of course variety keeps things interesting. Are there other razors like the FOCS that are efficient but have little to no blade feel?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Blutt 1.2
I only know enough about the Blutt 1.20 to be dangerous... Can you describe your experiences with it for us, if you own one. It's on my list of finalists for a modern DE razor.

@Mr. Shavington has positive things to say about it.

Edit: I have read through your thread on the Blutt 1.20. That's the end of my knowledge on the topic.

Either Gillette Goodwill or a Gillette New Short Comb. They are awesomely smooth razors; all other open comb razors are just wannabes.

New Ball End for Goodwill.jpg

NEW SC replate.jpg

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Either Gillette Goodwill or a Gillette New Short Comb. They are awesomely smooth razors; all other open comb razors are just wannabes.

View attachment 1502363
View attachment 1502364
I have a British NEW Raised Bottom somewhere in the mail system. I keep hoping it will get here soon. Today is day 4 since it hit the ISC Los Angeles USPS site... it has been "processed through" it, whatever that means. No additional scans since then.

How would you compare it with the two OC's you posted?

The wunderbar is very smooth, less blade sensation and less feedback, it really bites sometimes🤔

I've never used it but I hear the karve outlander is good, efficient and smooth

It's becoming more and more obvious to me that I'm going to have to track down a Sailor. At first the price seems entirely too high, but then I look at Rhodium and Gold plated Rex razors and suddenly the price doesn't seem quite that bad anymore.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Sailor.

View attachment 1502380

Happy shaves,

Jim

It's becoming more and more obvious to me that I'm going to have to track down a Sailor. At first the price seems entirely too high, but then I look at Rhodium and Gold plated Rex razors and suddenly the price doesn't seem quite that bad anymore.
Sometime, early next year, I'm going to spring for a top tier, modern De. The Sailor sure seems to check a lot of boxes for quite a few people. In the long run, if you buy 2 or 3 top tier razors, you find, you've spent more money than the price of the Sailor.

I have a British NEW Raised Bottom somewhere in the mail system. I keep hoping it will get here soon. Today is day 4 since it hit the ISC Los Angeles USPS site... it has been "processed through" it, whatever that means. No additional scans since then.

How would you compare it with the two OC's you posted?
The British RFB is similar in design to the New Long Comb, but without that irritating recess for the handle end to seat in. I have several New LC's and like them almost as well as the Short Comb - they do provide a superior shave.
What i've read of the RFB, people prefer them to the NEW LC. I think you've made a solid choice & will be happy with it.
Where in Phoenix are you?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
The British RFB is similar in design to the New Long Comb, but without that irritating recess for the handle end to seat in. I have several New LC's and like them almost as well as the Short Comb - they do provide a superior shave.
What i've read of the RFB, people prefer them to the NEW LC. I think you've made a solid choice & will be happy with it.
Where in Phoenix are you?
In my case, the "Phoenix" is the bird, not the city in AZ. It's left over from a company I started with 3 other coworkers years ago.... out of the ashes...

We're in Florida by way of PA for 30 years or so. I'm originally from Montana.

In my case, the "Phoenix" is the bird, not the city in AZ. It's left over from a company I started with 3 other coworkers years ago.... out of the ashes...

We're in Florida by way of PA for 30 years or so. I'm originally from Montana.
OK, so your package leaving LA still has a ways to go. I used to work in Transportation and Time Critical Logistics, and LA to Phoenix ground transportation for UPS, FedEx and usually USPS to, was typically overnote. Seems they now route their packages thru the homeless camps, adding to the time in transit..

Agreed....its meets the definition set out in the thread title... on setting 2.

Sometime, early next year, I'm going to spring for a top tier, modern De. The Sailor sure seems to check a lot of boxes for quite a few people. In the long run, if you buy 2 or 3 top tier razors, you find, you've spent more money than the price of the Sailor.

You are right....the Sailor does have a few quirks though....some who are very finicky about things like alignment
and precision (and they have every right to be for 600-700 bucks) have been a bit underwhelmed.
And this Rocnel guy seems to monitor forums closely. The more praise it gets the more he jacks up the price.
So lets keep him honest.

He's got a new machine that creates a nice mirror polish...but Im not biting unless substantial improvements
are put in.

Someone also recommended the Karve CB razor. Any thoughts on it?
I have a brass CB with the G safety bar plate. It is very efficient, but it will provide a bit more blade feel than the FOCS. Interestingly, I find that the new Fatip Il Grosso has less blade feel with equal efficiency as the FOCS (but I've never had much luck with slants). My newest razor, the RazoRock Lupo .95 open comb, is very efficient with a bit less blade feel than the CB and a bit more than the FOCS.

Top Bottom