What's new

High efficiency, low blade feel razors?

Artist Club (AC) is my preferred blade format. My favorite razor is the Blackland Razors Vector SB. If you ever decide to go down the AC razor path, the Vector SB with a Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG blade provides good efficiency, very smooth, exceptionally nimble & maneuverable and highly effective. There are a variety of other AC blades from Kai, Feather and Schick that allow you to vary the efficiency, blade feel and smoothness.
View attachment 1504480View attachment 1504481View attachment 1504482
Now I just have to wait until it’s back in stock

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
in the meantime, any other razors you recommend, whether it's DE or AC, that have little to no blade feel but are still efficient? Probably in the mid price range
This might be a good place to start for DE razors:
Thread 'Comparison of DE Razors in My Den From ~$75 to ~$125 (USD)' Comparison of DE Razors in My Den From ~$75 to ~$125 (USD) - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/comparison-of-de-razors-in-my-den-from-75-to-125-usd.600310/

In addition, the Charcoal Goods Gen 3 Level 3 maintains efficiency with very little blade feel. Same with the Blackland Razors ERA SB-4 and SB-5.

For SE AC blade razors, I'd put a "Want to Buy" thread up in the BST for a used Stainless Vector SB and a used Colonial Razors The General v2. Used with a Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG blade, blade feel is minimized but it's still reasonably efficient. The Claymore Evolution is another good AC razor that is medium efficient and has very little blade feel.

Hope this helps. :)

This might be a good place to start for DE razors:
Thread 'Comparison of DE Razors in My Den From ~$75 to ~$125 (USD)' Comparison of DE Razors in My Den From ~$75 to ~$125 (USD) - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/comparison-of-de-razors-in-my-den-from-75-to-125-usd.600310/

In addition, the Charcoal Goods Gen 3 Level 3 maintains efficiency with very little blade feel. Same with the Blackland Razors ERA SB-4 and SB-5.

For SE AC blade razors, I'd put a "Want to Buy" thread up in the BST for a used Stainless Vector SB and a used Colonial Razors The General v2. Used with a Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG blade, blade feel is minimized but it's still reasonably efficient. The Claymore Evolution is another good AC razor that is medium efficient and has very little blade feel.

Hope this helps. :)
I see from your thread that you're partial to the Karve CB. The different plate options do intrigue me. Have you gotten the Overlander yet?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I see from your thread that you're partial to the Karve CB. The different plate options do intrigue me. Have you gotten the Overlander yet?
I have not tried the Overlander yet. The Karve Brass SB-G is one of my favorite razors in the <US$125 category plus I have most of the SB and OC plates from B through G. Not sure what the Overlander would bring to my personal table. 🤔

But I'm sure that I'll get around to trying the Overlander at some point in time. ;) :)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
It's becoming more and more obvious to me that I'm going to have to track down a Sailor. At first the price seems entirely too high, but then I look at Rhodium and Gold plated Rex razors and suddenly the price doesn't seem quite that bad anymore.

Even better...You buy a Sailor. Then you observe other gentlemen buying razors. You say to yourself what's it offer that I don't have in the Sailor?

At least that is pretty much what happened to me.

Admittedly I have purchased one razor since getting the Sailor. It's a Fine aluminum slant. The slant does indeed have something which the Sailor lacks.

Not that the Sailor needs it.

Whatever number of razors I am allowed to take to the desert island, the Sailor will be on the list.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Whatever number of razors I am allowed to take to the desert island, the Sailor will be on the list.

Agree that it is the razor to end all others....however given the cost and hassle
of procuring one, the only other addition one might consider is a travel razor.
Overlander might be a good one for the shortlist

Yes, I agree. I think others have posted about how razors that they thought too mild when the first got into DE shaving were much better as they gained more experience and technique improved.

For newer razors, I really find the Karve Overlander @OhioBob mentioned to be tops, followed very closely by the Yates 921-M. All others in my shave drawer are enjoyed for variety.
Do the Overlander and 921-M shave similarly? (I ask because I had the 921-M and it didn't work for me, and if the Overlander shaves similarly, it's not for me.)

I was extremely disappointed with the Overlander's efficiency in the single pass WTG I do, it was borderline useless. Returned it.

Even if the specs are similar to the 921-M, the latter is shockingly efficient in a single pass, for the modest specs it claims to have.

IME

Do the Overlander and 921-M shave similarly? (I ask because I had the 921-M and it didn't work for me, and if the Overlander shaves similarly, it's not for me.)

The 921-M is not as efficient as the 921-H. I use the H plate often and it is great for a one pass WTG shave.

As far as angles are concerned, the Yates is like the Henson: when you hit the right angle, you know it. If your angle is off, it will not shave anywhere near as well.

low blade feel and high efficiency are relatives terms, at least there should be reference point :)
for those for example are the rr lupo al on the higher end following rr gch 0.68,right on the sweet spot fell the karve overlander and the final is henson medium :)

Sorry for the late reply! I do find them similar and I do get my best shaves with them. If the Yates M didn't work for you, then I can't say the Overlander will be your Grail razor. My preference has always been for low blade-feel razors and low to mid "aggressive" razors. Even then, I know you can find posts that state some known biter of a razor is really just a misunderstood softie!

I was extremely disappointed with the Overlander's efficiency in the single pass WTG I do, it was borderline useless. Returned it.

Even if the specs are similar to the 921-M, the latter is shockingly efficient in a single pass, for the modest specs it claims to have.

IME
Agree about the 921-M in smooth places, shaves great. But add any sort of a contour and it's a different story, requiring lots of buffing.

The 921-M is not as efficient as the 921-H. I use the H plate often and it is great for a one pass WTG shave.

As far as angles are concerned, the Yates is like the Henson: when you hit the right angle, you know it. If your angle is off, it will not shave anywhere near as well.
I guess I just never had the patience for consistently finding the angle.

Sorry for the late reply! I do find them similar and I do get my best shaves with them. If the Yates M didn't work for you, then I can't say the Overlander will be your Grail razor. My preference has always been for low blade-feel razors and low to mid "aggressive" razors. Even then, I know you can find posts that state some known biter of a razor is really just a misunderstood softie!
Thanks for the reply. So is the Overlander a fixed-angle razor like the Yates? If not, what explains the shaving similarity to the Yates? (I had the Yates 921-M, Henson AL 13 Mild, and Winning Razor, and all are of course fixed angle and none of them worked for me.)

I guess I just never had the patience for consistently finding the angle.

That’s why the motto for this hobby/chore is “YMMV”. People here rave about how good a razor the Rex Ambassador is. I bought one and hated it. Same with Gillette Slims. I’ve had three and disliked them all.

With the Yates H, I’ve found a razor I plan to keep forever. I liked it so much I bought an entire extra razor, but with the milder M plate (M for “medium”, not “mild”). I find the M version is perfect for me to use on autopilot. H is very efficient for me and my ugly face, but I have to pay attention.

That’s why the motto for this hobby/chore is “YMMV”. People here rave about how good a razor the Rex Ambassador is. I bought one and hated it. Same with Gillette Slims. I’ve had three and disliked them all.

With the Yates H, I’ve found a razor I plan to keep forever. I liked it so much I bought an entire extra razor, but with the milder M plate (M for “medium”, not “mild”). I find the M version is perfect for me to use on autopilot. H is very efficient for me and my ugly face, but I have to pay attention.
YMMV For sure.

I'm finding I need to pay attention to every razor nowadays.

Top Bottom