What's new

High efficiency, low blade feel razors?

It took me 5 years to learn that I can have very efficient and extremely enjoyable shaves with a simple Tech.
Yes, I agree. I think others have posted about how razors that they thought too mild when the first got into DE shaving were much better as they gained more experience and technique improved.

For newer razors, I really find the Karve Overlander @OhioBob mentioned to be tops, followed very closely by the Yates 921-M. All others in my shave drawer are enjoyed for variety.

Come to think of it, stando polska razors might be good as they clamp strong on large gaps.
I bought one of those razors.
I haven't received it yet, but I'm hoping for the best.

There is a blackbird SB that is very smooth and has less blade feel
I find it to be right in the middle for efficiency (but it's a nice, balanced razor!)
I would love to find a razor that is highly efficient and smooth based on the bird.....

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
For me it’s the H&S, Timeless, Taiga, and Blutt 1.2.
I've asked a few people I trust about the Blutt 1.2 and it's always in their top modern razors along with a few other familiar names.

I'd appreciate your comments on the Blutt 1.2..... I know YMMV and all that, but I would like to buy just one modern DE razor to compliment my two Vintage Gillette razors, i.e., the British Flat Bottom Tech and the NEW Raised Bottom razor.

Almost all of my wet shaving experience has been with a Claymore Evolution, which I still love, btw. I don't want a large collection of DE razors.... so I'm gathering as much info as I can so I can buy just one modern DE and be content. The Rocnel Sailor is a possibility but there are a couple things about it that don't appeal to me... this, of course, without using one myself.

Anyway, your comments, suggestions, etc. would be useful to me. Thanks.

I've asked a few people I trust about the Blutt 1.2 and it's always in their top modern razors along with a few other familiar names.

I'd appreciate your comments on the Blutt 1.2..... I know YMMV and all that, but I would like to buy just one modern DE razor to compliment my two Vintage Gillette razors, i.e., the British Flat Bottom Tech and the NEW Raised Bottom razor.

Almost all of my wet shaving experience has been with a Claymore Evolution, which I still love, btw. I don't want a large collection of DE razors.... so I'm gathering as much info as I can so I can buy just one modern DE and be content. The Rocnel Sailor is a possibility but there are a couple things about it that don't appeal to me... this, of course, without using one myself.

I think the potential problem these days for us consumers is choice. When we have a lot of options on the table it can add or possibly create confusion as to try to figure out the details of each different razors and how they can potentially suit what one is looking for in a razor.

All of those razors mentioned are very fine razors, and of course very costly so it then becomes an investment type of purchase.

I've been very fortunate to try most of the razors mentioned, with the exception of trying the Taiga or Blutt.

I'm not sure what you are looking for in a modern high end razor, and judging from what you are currently using (I also have a few Techs that I use, notably the English Flat Bottom being my favorite),
But I can almost say with confidence that the Blutt 1.2 might be slightly overkill in efficiency/blade feel in comparison to a Flat Bottom or the NEW.

If you are looking for a modern razor with similar efficiency to the Gillettes then the H&S N074 Titanium or H&S N075 is my recommendation.

Otherwise, I could also say a Blutt 0.86 is more akin to those Gillettes or get those adjustables as you can dial it in the right settings as you wish.

I definitely recommend the Blutt 1.2, but I forgot to recommend the Blackland Era SB level 5 as well. I can’t just recommend one. I even have a hard time just choosing my travel razor. I can’t imagine choosing a desert island razor. It’s like choosing which one’s your favorite kid. Don’t limit yourself with one when there are so many other nice ones. :a23:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I definitely recommend the Blutt 1.2, but I forgot to recommend the Blackland Era SB level 5 as well. I can’t just recommend one. I even have a hard time just choosing my travel razor. I can’t imagine choosing a desert island razor. It’s like choosing which one’s your favorite kid. Don’t limit yourself with one when there are so many other nice ones. :a23:
I did carpentry work for about 1/3 of my working career. I had favorite tools. I like the comfort using the same tool over and over brings more than I like variety. We're all different but that's what works for me. I get variety from various brushes and soaps. I don't need or even desire a lot of razors from which to choose... I'm ok having one AC razor... one or two Vintage Gillettes and one high end modern DE razor. I know there are lots of amazing razors out there... I just want to narrow down the field and as best as I can determine without actually shaving with one... make the right choice for me.

@faroll2 is spot on... though I might like to bump up as opposed to the efficiency of the FBT and the NEW Raised Bottom razors.. and even a bit more efficient than my Claymore Evo. That's why the Blutt is on my finalist list. I have a few more months to think it over. Unless there are some killer deals on Black Friday..... I'm not sure Switzerland observes shopping days like we do in the States.

@Phoenixkh
hi
You have given me the desire to try claymore lately.
So far my SE partner is a stando rod and a feather super blade 😊.

Anyway I am planning to try a razor called stando chors during august.
It has a 1.30 gap (there is a milder version called Weles with a gap of 1.18) and the only finish is bead blasting.
It's rated very high with very few ratings……

stando polska razors are very reasonably priced, but I believe the finish is high end class.
chors rated opponents are blackbird, wunderbar, vector
I would love to use it and review it.
I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
If you are interested, you can also check them out on Etsy.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I'd be happy to use my Fatip Open Comb Slant (FOCS) Razor as my one and only for the rest of my life but of course variety keeps things interesting. Are there other razors like the FOCS that are efficient but have little to no blade feel?
Any interest in AC blade razors?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Hmm I don’t know. I’ve never tried any
Artist Club (AC) is my preferred blade format. My favorite razor is the Blackland Razors Vector SB. If you ever decide to go down the AC razor path, the Vector SB with a Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG blade provides good efficiency, very smooth, exceptionally nimble & maneuverable and highly effective. There are a variety of other AC blades from Kai, Feather and Schick that allow you to vary the efficiency, blade feel and smoothness.
20220801_084807~2.jpg
20220731_104915~2.jpg
20220808_115802~2.jpg

Artist Club (AC) is my preferred blade format. My favorite razor is the Blackland Razors Vector SB. If you ever decide to go down the AC razor path, the Vector SB with a Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG blade provides good efficiency, very smooth, exceptionally nimble & maneuverable and highly effective. There are a variety of other AC blades from Kai, Feather and Schick that allow you to vary the efficiency, blade feel and smoothness.
View attachment 1504480View attachment 1504481View attachment 1504482
How do they feel compared to DE razors?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
How do they feel compared to DE razors?
An AC blade is thicker than a DE blade. Less flex. I have a very thick, wiry, chaotic beard that grows in multiple, swirling directions. I appreciate the more solid feel the AC blade provides.

Of all of my AC, DE and GEM blade razors, the AC blade Blackland Razors Vector SB is my favorite Alpha Big Dog razor:
  • Overall #1: Blackland Razors Stainless Vector SB & OC Plates, GTC, GTS or Ti Handle
  • AC Blade: Blackland Razors Stainless Vector SB & OC Plates, GTC, GTS or Ti Handle
  • AC Blade: Colonial Razors The General, GTC, GTS or Ti Handle
  • DE (Current): Blackland Razors Ti Blackbird, GTC, GTS or Ti Handle
  • DE (Vintage): Gillette Tech/NEW Hybrid, GTC, GTS or Ti Handle
  • GEM (Current): Blackland Razors Sabre L2, GTC, GTS or Ti Handle
  • GEM (Vintage): GEM MMOC & BMMOC
  • SE using a DE Blade (Vintage): Jones Shake-Sharp v1
Huge caveat: YOU need to experience shaving with an AC blade razor to see how it works with your face/skin/beard.

@Phoenixkh
hi
You have given me the desire to try claymore lately.
So far my SE partner is a stando rod and a feather super blade 😊.

Anyway I am planning to try a razor called stando chors during august.
It has a 1.30 gap (there is a milder version called Weles with a gap of 1.18) and the only finish is bead blasting.
It's rated very high with very few ratings……

stando polska razors are very reasonably priced, but I believe the finish is high end class.
chors rated opponents are blackbird, wunderbar, vector
I would love to use it and review it.
I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
If you are interested, you can also check them out on Etsy.
If you are buying a Stando razor I recommend to buy from their website, not Etsy. The prices are significantly cheaper on the website - I guess because of Etsy fees.

Yes, I agree. I think others have posted about how razors that they thought too mild when the first got into DE shaving were much better as they gained more experience and technique improved.

For newer razors, I really find the Karve Overlander @OhioBob mentioned to be tops, followed very closely by the Yates 921-M. All others in my shave drawer are enjoyed for variety.
I agree. I can get more out of a tech and milder razors than I could earlier on. I thought more aggressive was needed. I also think getting more aggressive helped technique so it was part of the journey.

Agree with the few that said Overlander based on what I’ve tried. The more I use other razors and come back the more I appreciate the mildness with good efficiency.

Last edited:
An AC blade is thicker than a DE blade. Less flex. I have a very thick, wiry, chaotic beard that grows in multiple, swirling directions. I appreciate the more solid feel the AC blade provides.

Of all of my AC, DE and GEM blade razors, the AC blade Blackland Razors Vector SB is my favorite Alpha Big Dog razor:
  • Overall #1: Blackland Razors Stainless Vector SB & OC Plates, GTC, GTS or Ti Handle
  • AC Blade: Blackland Razors Stainless Vector SB & OC Plates, GTC, GTS or Ti Handle
  • AC Blade: Colonial Razors The General, GTC, GTS or Ti Handle
  • DE (Current): Blackland Razors Ti Blackbird, GTC, GTS or Ti Handle
  • DE (Vintage): Gillette Tech/NEW Hybrid, GTC, GTS or Ti Handle
  • GEM (Current): Blackland Razors Sabre L2, GTC, GTS or Ti Handle
  • GEM (Vintage): GEM MMOC & BMMOC
  • SE using a DE Blade (Vintage): Jones Shake-Sharp v1
Huge caveat: YOU need to experience shaving with an AC blade razor to see how it works with your face/skin/beard.
I have never used AC Blade but I would put money on what @never-stop-learning says about any razor.

DE number 1 is definitely Ti Blackbird w/ a Perma Sharp blade with an experienced shaver

DE number 2 is definitely a WR2 SB 1.25 w/ a Timor blade with an experienced shaver.

I said it and I stand by it.

Lol

Doug

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I have never used AC Blade but I would put money on what @never-stop-learning says about any razor.

DE number 1 is definitely Ti Blackbird w/ a Perma Sharp blade with an experienced shaver

DE number 2 is definitely a WR2 SB 1.25 w/ a Timor blade with an experienced shaver.

I said it and I stand by it.

Lol

Doug
Thank you, my friend. :)

We agree on the excellent Blackand Razors Ti Blackbird. Best currently manufactured DE razor in my Den. The Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB is also a superb DE razor.

Top Bottom