What's new

Hi everyone! I'm putting the band together; questions await inside :)

Hi,

Thank you! I do not know of a difference between "overseas" Gillette and Gillette? I saw pk's post where he mentioned Maggards. Hadn't heard of them and am there now putting my order together. Maybe for a newb I am spending more than I need but I'm kinda into it and still coming in at a price I am comfortable with. Getting samplers of soap and razors. They are out of the Merkur... Here is what I am going to choose:
Thayers Unscented Alcohol Free Witch Hazel Toner
Omega Model 10066 Ivory Handle Boar Shaving Brush
Double Edge Razor Blade Sampler 75 blades -12 Brands
Porcelain Apothecary Style Shaving Mug, Black
Maggard Razors Artisan Shaving Soap Samples Scent: Tobacco & Leather
Maggard Razors Artisan Shaving Soap Samples Scent: Limes & Bergamot
Proraso Shave Cream Soap and Aftershave Samples

Before you pull the trigger look at captains choice lather bowls!
2CB8CAAE-3142-4417-BBE4-5DF49946BD0E.jpeg
65AD6C36-5047-4E50-A421-91B6657D6F87.jpeg

Welcome to the forum!

Build your own blade sample pack at Try A Blade. You can buy as many or as few of any blade you want to try but I'd suggest at least two of each. You might not like it at first shave but you might love it a month or two later. As far as blade recommendations...

Thank you so much for pointing me to the Try a Blade link. I removed the sampler pack from Magghards and will be getting the Super Double Edge Sampler pack. Although, did you check out the Mega? Wow.

Mega Double Edge Sampler
"Instant blade blade collection? Horder's Delight? Call it whatever you want, but we are going to call it the Mega Double Edge Sampler. Here's the deal. You get one pack of each of the in-stock, current production double edge blades. If the blades come in larger packs, you will receive five blades for that one.

You get a whopping total of 756 blades along with a 10% discount off the total price. The discount is already factored into the price."

Get use to it, you're among friends!

They say one picture is worth a thousand words lol. I've tried all these and more.

View attachment 1047418

When it comes to DE blades, try as many as you can. No one can tell you what your best blade might be. You only find them by trying them.

My favorite brush and the only brush I use now is from Maggard.

Maggard Razors 22mm Black Handle Shaving Brush Synthetic | Maggard Razors Traditional Wet Shaving Products - https://www.maggardrazors.com/product/maggard-razors-22mm-synthetic-shaving-brush-black-handle/

Maggard is a great store. I order from them often. They have a low cost international shipping option that I make use of being in Canada. Connaught Shaving does as well, which is where I order my favorite soaps and creams. Phoenix & Beau, Wickham 1912 and Cyril R Salter.

Oh man, the Omega or start with the Maggards synthetic.:wacko: I keep reading such positive things about synths in the brush forum here that I'm going to get that one first.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
You get a whopping total of 756 blades along with a 10% discount off the total price.

I think you're set for blades for a very long time lol.

I sometimes envy the people starting fresh into all of this. The excitement and the experimenting. Dont worry though, it will all pay off in the end.

Hi,

Thank you! I do not know of a difference between "overseas" Gillette and Gillette? I saw pk's post where he mentioned Maggards. Hadn't heard of them and am there now putting my order together. Maybe for a newb I am spending more than I need but I'm kinda into it and still coming in at a price I am comfortable with. Getting samplers of soap and razors. They are out of the Merkur... Here is what I am going to choose:
Thayers Unscented Alcohol Free Witch Hazel Toner
Omega Model 10066 Ivory Handle Boar Shaving Brush
Double Edge Razor Blade Sampler 75 blades -12 Brands
Porcelain Apothecary Style Shaving Mug, Black
Maggard Razors Artisan Shaving Soap Samples Scent: Tobacco & Leather
Maggard Razors Artisan Shaving Soap Samples Scent: Limes & Bergamot
Proraso Shave Cream Soap and Aftershave Samples

Overseas Gillette covers many brands, such as Polsilver, Astra, Super Iridium, (mostly made in Russia in a Gillette factory) that don't actually carry the brand name of Gillette.

Looks like a good list, I adore boar brushes, though they are very stiff for the first few shaves. I actually recommend taking a shower with it and using it as a shower pouf. You'll break it in perfectly.

If you're looking for a good razor to start, Parker variants are touted as good quality for the price.

Thank you so much for pointing me to the Try a Blade link. I removed the sampler pack from Magghards and will be getting the Super Double Edge Sampler pack. Although, did you check out the Mega? Wow.

Mega Double Edge Sampler
"Instant blade blade collection? Horder's Delight? Call it whatever you want, but we are going to call it the Mega Double Edge Sampler. Here's the deal. You get one pack of each of the in-stock, current production double edge blades. If the blades come in larger packs, you will receive five blades for that one.

You get a whopping total of 756 blades along with a 10% discount off the total price. The discount is already factored into the price."
My advice is: don’t get lost. Try to find a blade that works for you... and not to build a collection of blades right now. The greater the choice the harder to choose.
I started with about 7 different blades, found “mine”, PIFed the remainder and stick with it. Although I might be on the minimalist end of the game...

Enjoy your journey and welcome to the forum!

mycroft

Have you already ordered your blade sample pack? If you haven’t, send me a PM & I’ll send you a sample pack of many good blades to try.

Have you already ordered your blade sample pack? If you haven’t, send me a PM & I’ll send you a sample pack of many good blades to try.
Hi,
I ordered the Try a blade sampler pack of 109 blades, they are out of the Personna blues and med (forget its name). Thank you very much for the thought!! :)

Overseas Gillette covers many brands, such as Polsilver, Astra, Super Iridium, (mostly made in Russia in a Gillette factory) that don't actually carry the brand name of Gillette.

Looks like a good list, I adore boar brushes, though they are very stiff for the first few shaves. I actually recommend taking a shower with it and using it as a shower pouf. You'll break it in perfectly.

If you're looking for a good razor to start, Parker variants are touted as good quality for the price.

Thank you for the info on the overseas Gillette deal. Also, I decided to go with a synthetic brush to start with.

I have read some posts.
Just a few words: welcome to the site!
You can wet shave to do the job or you can acquire a new hobby, and this might dictate how much money you decide to spend as there are multiple products to chose from. Just like buying a car , multiple choices, you can then buy aftermarket products....
Brush: to start I would just advice to get a synthetic brush (maggards, Italian barber , Yaqi ) they are good and NO need to break , just ready to use and tend to provide good lather (easy to use).
Soaps< there are too many options; don't forget creams that lather....they might be easier at the beginning. Amazon has Taylor of Old Bond Street for reasonable price!. Or go to Walmart for Gillette Pure, while there you can buy an aftershave (they have splashes (liquid w alcohol) and balms) Mennen has some good stuff. In the ladies makeup isle, they have witchhazel...get a bottle... One stop shop, no shipping fees.
Lathering bowl: use one from your kitchen to start, you will save money.
Good luck and get vaccinated against the acquisition disease (at the pharmacy) that infects many of us .
Cheers and enjoy the ride
Remember you can spend little money to get good shaves and you can spend a lot of money to get also good shaves.

I have read some posts.
Just a few words: welcome to the site!
You can wet shave to do the job or you can acquire a new hobby, and this might dictate how much money you decide to spend as there are multiple products to chose from. Just like buying a car , multiple choices, you can then buy aftermarket products....
Brush: to start I would just advice to get a synthetic brush (maggards, Italian barber , Yaqi ) they are good and NO need to break , just ready to use and tend to provide good lather (easy to use).
Soaps< there are too many options; don't forget creams that lather....they might be easier at the beginning. Amazon has Taylor of Old Bond Street for reasonable price!. Or go to Walmart for Gillette Pure, while there you can buy an aftershave (they have splashes (liquid w alcohol) and balms) Mennen has some good stuff. In the ladies makeup isle, they have witchhazel...get a bottle... One stop shop, no shipping fees.
Lathering bowl: use one from your kitchen to start, you will save money.
Good luck and get vaccinated against the acquisition disease (at the pharmacy) that infects many of us .
Cheers and enjoy the ride
Remember you can spend little money to get good shaves and you can spend a lot of money to get also good shaves.

But...but...I'm an anti-vaxxer!!:kyle1: Guess I'd better start saving now!!

Thank you for sharing that, much appreciated!

Top Bottom