What's new

Hi everyone! I'm putting the band together; questions await inside :)

A few things. Glamazon has some good deals and I get the appeal when you have a gift card. But consider selecting one of the shaving vendors rather than feeding the big machine. These vendors have great deals and a much better selection with reviews from experienced wetshavers. These vendors rely on people like us to make an honest living.

I agree with this 100%. I have backed away from the Zon since coming here and will use Maggards from now on. They are US based and have everything that I use except for Williams which I can get at my Pharmacy.

If you have a pre/post routine that works for you, I see no reason to change it. After all, DE shaving is not re-inventing the wheel, it is simply learning to use different tools. Personally, I only use a pre-shave product on the driest of days (but I don't live in an area that has sub-zero temperatures or 5% humidity).
I agree with ShaverAZ that you should not reject vintage Gillette products. I, too, refuse to do business with Gillette, but don't have a problem buying and using vintage Gillette products. Most of my razors are Techs or Super Speeds - none of which cost more than $15-US (including shipping). Keep in mind that Astra and Chinese Wilkinson Sword are both Gillette products (however, German Wilkinson Sword is not).
I certainly agree that one doesn't need fancy equipage for a great shave. One of my favorite set-ups is an $8 Super Speed with an $8 Omega boar, Williams Mug Soap in an old coffee mug, and finishing off with a splash of $2 drug store aftershave.
Enjoy the journey!

Everyone has their pet razor & brush brands and models. Some get argumentative when "cheaper" or non Name Brand alternatives are offered. I've been shaving for several decades, and I began with my Grandpa's (now 100 year old) Ever Ready Boar brush. It's small and cheap by todays' standards, but it will produce lather to rival that of a $100 brush. Paying more for a brush only leaves you with less money to buy soap and blades.
Don't get caught up just yet in that 'Badger vs Synthetic' argument; both work just fine. I have a cheap Chinese $6 synthetic that produces the same excellent quality of lather as does my more spendy, floor-mop sized knot Badger brush.
Pre-shaves: Proraso is the brand standard that works. You mentioned Noxzema for a post shave - Noxzema (I use the Walmart generic brand) works great as a preshave. For post shave, I have my own formula. Nivea Post Shave Balm is good stuff, but there are hundreds of alternatives - pick one ...
Razors? Don't become entangled in that Gillette shunning BS, since the Vintage quality Gillette razors were produced in an era predating the current controversy, where sensitive, politically correct content would have been poorly regarded. A Vintage Gillette Tech can assure you an easy-to-learn close, smooth shave with any number of types of blades made today. Techs are available at E-Bay and Etsy in many styles and physical conditions. A showpiece quality Pre War Tech may cost more than its' more worn counterpart, but it will still give you an honest shave. Before deciding on that spendy, hand machined Smegfish 6000 Titanium razor, get a Tech, or even a Schick Krona. Both will allow you to quickly build the skill to do an excellent daily shave; you can always spend more on "better" razors later, since, few DE wet shavers have only one razor. Same with brush. My cheap synthetic will lather any soap made as well as the best premium brush made from the genital area fur of a certified virgin badger. It's best to start cheap and decide what you want later, than blow the wad on expensive gear & regret it later.
Blades? Astra Superior Platinum are pretty mainstream, and only the meanest, snobbiest wet shaver will deny that they give a smooth, honest shave. A sample pack will give you weeks of blade trials; once you find what you really like, check Amazon for prices on 100 packs, then look on E-bay where you can sometimes get cheaper prices and free shipping.
Everyone has their favorite soaps. I began with a Williams puck long ago. You don't need to go thru any elaborate soaking, blooming or voodoo to make it work. Rub a damp brush around on a dry puck, add a few drops of water to a bowl, then stir it up. Add more water until you have an excellent lather. Too much pride to use a cheap, pedestrian soap? Taylor of Old Bond St. soaps are proven performers. Get a little lathering mileage under your belt before you go on to more exotic Artisan soaps made of monkey tallow,real mothers milk, hemp oil and such. Start lathering with a bowl - any bowl will do, from Coffee cup to any wide, shallow plastic or ceramic bowl will do.
Learn what 'Beard Mapping' means, and how to do multiple pass shaving. It never hurts to watch some instructional shaving videos, and here's one:
Look, too, on Youtube for SinatraLennon, Kensurfs, Kevy Shaves and a multitude of others who post videos about vintage and modern gear, brushes, soaps and techniques.
That video is the first I have so far watched! It was excellent.

Everyone has their pet razor & brush brands and models. Some get argumentative when "cheaper" or non Name Brand alternatives are offered. I've been shaving for several decades, and I began with my Grandpa's (now 100 year old) Ever Ready Boar brush. It's small and cheap by todays' standards, but it will produce lather to rival that of a $100 brush. Paying more for a brush only leaves you with less money to buy soap and blades.
Don't get caught up just yet in that 'Badger vs Synthetic' argument; both work just fine. I have a cheap Chinese $6 synthetic that produces the same excellent quality of lather as does my more spendy, floor-mop sized knot Badger brush.
Pre-shaves: Proraso is the brand standard that works. You mentioned Noxzema for a post shave - Noxzema (I use the Walmart generic brand) works great as a preshave. For post shave, I have my own formula. Nivea Post Shave Balm is good stuff, but there are hundreds of alternatives - pick one ...
Razors? Don't become entangled in that Gillette shunning BS, since the Vintage quality Gillette razors were produced in an era predating the current controversy, where sensitive, politically correct content would have been poorly regarded. A Vintage Gillette Tech can assure you an easy-to-learn close, smooth shave with any number of types of blades made today. Techs are available at E-Bay and Etsy in many styles and physical conditions. A showpiece quality Pre War Tech may cost more than its' more worn counterpart, but it will still give you an honest shave. Before deciding on that spendy, hand machined Smegfish 6000 Titanium razor, get a Tech, or even a Schick Krona. Both will allow you to quickly build the skill to do an excellent daily shave; you can always spend more on "better" razors later, since, few DE wet shavers have only one razor. Same with brush. My cheap synthetic will lather any soap made as well as the best premium brush made from the genital area fur of a certified virgin badger. It's best to start cheap and decide what you want later, than blow the wad on expensive gear & regret it later.
Blades? Astra Superior Platinum are pretty mainstream, and only the meanest, snobbiest wet shaver will deny that they give a smooth, honest shave. A sample pack will give you weeks of blade trials; once you find what you really like, check Amazon for prices on 100 packs, then look on E-bay where you can sometimes get cheaper prices and free shipping.
Everyone has their favorite soaps. I began with a Williams puck long ago. You don't need to go thru any elaborate soaking, blooming or voodoo to make it work. Rub a damp brush around on a dry puck, add a few drops of water to a bowl, then stir it up. Add more water until you have an excellent lather. Too much pride to use a cheap, pedestrian soap? Taylor of Old Bond St. soaps are proven performers. Get a little lathering mileage under your belt before you go on to more exotic Artisan soaps made of monkey tallow,real mothers milk, hemp oil and such. Start lathering with a bowl - any bowl will do, from Coffee cup to any wide, shallow plastic or ceramic bowl will do.
Learn what 'Beard Mapping' means, and how to do multiple pass shaving. It never hurts to watch some instructional shaving videos, and here's one:
Look, too, on Youtube for SinatraLennon, Kensurfs, Kevy Shaves and a multitude of others who post videos about vintage and modern gear, brushes, soaps and techniques.

That was incredibly informative and even funnier! I'm going to start saving for a Smegfish and that virgin badger genital fur brush now. Seriously, thank you for taking the time to share all that. Today is the day I am trying to sit down, make my choices, and pull the trigger. Thank you again!

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Look to
grooming dept for pre shave
Tallow+steel for soap and aftershave
Timeless for a razor.
Israeli reds or astra for blades. Done.

:hips:

Hi,

This seems to be the place to come to. I have been trying to put together all that I will need to begin shaving DE. I would like to shoot for best quality without breaking the bank. I am coming from disposables and am making the switch. 61 years old and beard is medium I guess you'd say. I vowed to never use another Gilette product again after their insulting woke toxic masculinity commercials. I have always been interested in using a razor so it's a win win.

I have been navigating Amazon reviews and purchased Viking everything. By the time it all arrived I had decided to go with the Merkur 34C.
From reading comments here I don't think anyone would suggest otherwise. I am leaning toward Derby Extra blades or a sampler pack, I have read to start with a mild blade. Can anyone recommend blade sampler packs?

Now, onto a pre-shave application, brush, and stand. What are good choices gentlemen? I have read that regular Noxema works great for post shave. I have always used coconut oil for my face after a shave. Thank you in advance for your informed advice!

One more thing, any New Years/end of year sales that anyone know of?

:c9:

Overseas Gillette too? Shame.

Personna is a great blade to start with IMO, the "lab blues" or the med preps. Not a mild, but a mid blade IMO, very forgiving.

I'd be glad to send you a few blades as a sample.

Pre-shave is over rated.

Coconut post is fine, whatever you like really. I would recommend a bottle of witch hazel though. I use 90% of the time Bath and Body Works lotion as my post shave and my face is still alive. It really all comes down to scent after you find a good product.

Cream and soap is as big a wormhole as you let it be. I don't know what soap or cream you already have, but 0/10 for goo in a can. I'd pick up a tub or tube of Prorasso, or a stick of Arko, or if you're feeling bold an artisan or upscale cream/soap of your choice.

What are you looking to get in a sale?

Welcome to the B&B!

If you have a pre/post routine that works for you, I see no reason to change it. After all, DE shaving is not re-inventing the wheel, it is simply learning to use different tools. Personally, I only use a pre-shave product on the driest of days (but I don't live in an area that has sub-zero temperatures or 5% humidity).
I agree with ShaverAZ that you should not reject vintage Gillette products. I, too, refuse to do business with Gillette, but don't have a problem buying and using vintage Gillette products. Most of my razors are Techs or Super Speeds - none of which cost more than $15-US (including shipping). Keep in mind that Astra and Chinese Wilkinson Sword are both Gillette products (however, German Wilkinson Sword is not).
I certainly agree that one doesn't need fancy equipage for a great shave. One of my favorite set-ups is an $8 Super Speed with an $8 Omega boar, Williams Mug Soap in an old coffee mug, and finishing off with a splash of $2 drug store aftershave.
Enjoy the journey!

Now that sounds like value for the money! I have no problem at all with vintage Gillette products and a vintage razor very well could be something to try down the road. I am in northern Ohio so maybe I'll just grab some Noxema for post if needed. Thanks again for your help, this is great. I'm glad I stuck my head in here.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Welcome to the forum!

Build your own blade sample pack at Try A Blade. You can buy as many or as few of any blade you want to try but I'd suggest at least two of each. You might not like it at first shave but you might love it a month or two later. As far as blade recommendations...

The entire Gillette 7 O'Clock series, Green, Yellow and Black.
Feather
Derby Extra
Derby Premium
Perma-Sharp Super
Astra SP
Astra SS
SuperMax Blue Diamond
SuperMax Diamond Edge
Polsilver
Bic Chrome Platinum
Kai
Lord Platinum
Rapira Platinum Lux
Voskhod
Gillette Nacet
Gillette Silver Blue

I'd be surprised if you didnt find a top three from those.

When it comes to vintage razors I'd suggest a Gillette post war (made after WW2) Tech, a Gillette Old Type or a Gillette Slim Adjustable.

For a new modern razor, a mild one might be this one:

RazoRock Teck II Safety Razor – ItalianBarber - https://www.italianbarber.com/products/razorock-teck-ii-safety-razor

Or the Fatip Piccolo SE.

Fatip Piccolo Special Edition Safety Razor - https://connaughtshaving.com/42121.html

Overseas Gillette too? Shame.

Personna is a great blade to start with IMO, the "lab blues" or the med preps. Not a mild, but a mid blade IMO, very forgiving.

I'd be glad to send you a few blades as a sample.

Pre-shave is over rated.

Coconut post is fine, whatever you like really. I would recommend a bottle of witch hazel though. I use 90% of the time Bath and Body Works lotion as my post shave and my face is still alive. It really all comes down to scent after you find a good product.

Cream and soap is as big a wormhole as you let it be. I don't know what soap or cream you already have, but 0/10 for goo in a can. I'd pick up a tub or tube of Prorasso, or a stick of Arko, or if you're feeling bold an artisan or upscale cream/soap of your choice.

What are you looking to get in a sale?

Welcome to the B&B!

Hi,

Thank you! I do not know of a difference between "overseas" Gillette and Gillette? I saw pk's post where he mentioned Maggards. Hadn't heard of them and am there now putting my order together. Maybe for a newb I am spending more than I need but I'm kinda into it and still coming in at a price I am comfortable with. Getting samplers of soap and razors. They are out of the Merkur... Here is what I am going to choose:
Thayers Unscented Alcohol Free Witch Hazel Toner
Omega Model 10066 Ivory Handle Boar Shaving Brush
Double Edge Razor Blade Sampler 75 blades -12 Brands
Porcelain Apothecary Style Shaving Mug, Black
Maggard Razors Artisan Shaving Soap Samples Scent: Tobacco & Leather
Maggard Razors Artisan Shaving Soap Samples Scent: Limes & Bergamot
Proraso Shave Cream Soap and Aftershave Samples

I’m somewhat new here but my story is similar to yours. I originally had a Merkur 34c and it was all I knew as far as de razors go. Then recently while browsing amazon for a gift for someone I came across Vikings blade. The reviews were great so I also got myself one. I was quite impressed with the shave it gave me. A lot heavier and very well made... (So I thought!) the shave was more efficient than the 34c that I was use to, and being adjustable I liked that I could get semi aggressive. I prefer to feel the blade. I’ve always used feather blades as I read everywhere they are sharpest. Then I found this forum and have headed down the road of no return. I purchased an R41 which is a very aggressive razor and love it. I have went to smoother less sharp blades and I’m using products that I’ve never known about in the past. My shave is now enjoyable like never before. It has turned from a chore to more of a hobby!

I think the 34c is great for a very mild razor. For me I just prefer more blade less passes as I don’t shave every day.
One brush I can recommend came to me after many here advised me to try it and I’m very happy with it!
The Muhle 39k257. It’s a synthetic silvertip badger 19mm knot. Quality is exceptional and very soft with good backbone and fine tips. I think it was around $50.
Blades you might want to look at ...Rapira. I received just one with my razor but it was so smooth I’ll be ordering more. There is a lot of options and many good recommendations on here for blade choices. I think the feathers tend to bite more. Very sharp with a not so smooth edge. There was usually blood with them.
Preshave doesn’t seem to make much difference for me. Just clogs the blade. I have seen some people like the cube 2.0 preshave block but I haven’t tried it yet. One day!
I am very convinced that adding the alum block after a shave followed by a cold rinse, thayers witch hazel and good postshave balm (I like Nivea sensitive skin, smells great too) makes a huge difference in post shave feel!

Anyway that’s my 2 cents

Look to
grooming dept for pre shave
Tallow+steel for soap and aftershave
Timeless for a razor.
Israeli reds or astra for blades. Done.

:hips:

Thanks, I do want to try tallow soap but the samplers I am first trying do not contain it.

Welcome to the forum!

Build your own blade sample pack at Try A Blade. You can buy as many or as few of any blade you want to try but I'd suggest at least two of each. You might not like it at first shave but you might love it a month or two later. As far as blade recommendations...

Feather
Derby Extra
Derby Premium
Perma-Sharp Super
Astra SP
Astra SS
SuperMax Blue Diamond
SuperMax Diamond Edge
Polsilver
Bic Chrome Platinum
Kai
Lord Platinum
Rapira Platinum Lux
Voskhod
Gillette Nacet
Gillette Silver Blue

When it comes to vintage razors I'd suggest a Gillette post war (made after WW2) Tech, a Gillette Old Type or a Gillette Slim Adjustable.

RazoRock Teck II Safety Razor – ItalianBarber - https://www.italianbarber.com/products/razorock-teck-ii-safety-razor

Or the Fatip Piccolo SE.

Fatip Piccolo Special Edition Safety Razor - https://connaughtshaving.com/42121.html

I am putting this along with the others info in a document to revisit after my initial purchases, I did not really expect so much info and advice!

:a5:

Welcome to the forum!

Feather
Derby Extra
Derby Premium
Perma-Sharp Super
Astra SP
Astra SS
SuperMax Blue Diamond
SuperMax Diamond Edge
Polsilver
Bic Chrome Platinum
Kai
Lord Platinum
Rapira Platinum Lux
Voskhod
Gillette Nacet
Gillette Silver Blue

Or the Fatip Piccolo SE.

Good list of blades. I’m screenshoting this!

I’m somewhat new here but my story is similar to yours. I originally had a Merkur 34c and it was all I knew as far as de razors go. Then recently while browsing amazon for a gift for someone I came across Vikings blade. The reviews were great so I also got myself one. I was quite impressed with the shave it gave me. A lot heavier and very well made... (So I thought!) the shave was more efficient than the 34c that I was use to, and being adjustable I liked that I could get semi aggressive. I prefer to feel the blade. I’ve always used feather blades as I read everywhere they are sharpest. Then I found this forum and have headed down the road of no return. I purchased an R41 which is a very aggressive razor and love it. I have went to smoother less sharp blades and I’m using products that I’ve never known about in the past. My shave is now enjoyable like never before. It has turned from a chore to more of a hobby!

I think the 34c is great for a very mild razor. For me I just prefer more blade less passes as I don’t shave every day.
One brush I can recommend came to me after many here advised me to try it and I’m very happy with it!
The Muhle 39k257. It’s a synthetic silvertip badger 19mm knot. Quality is exceptional and very soft with good backbone and fine tips. I think it was around $50.
Blades you might want to look at ...Rapira. I received just one with my razor but it was so smooth I’ll be ordering more. There is a lot of options and many good recommendations on here for blade choices. I think the feathers tend to bite more. Very sharp with a not so smooth edge. There was usually blood with them.
Preshave doesn’t seem to make much difference for me. Just clogs the blade. I have seen some people like the cube 2.0 preshave block but I haven’t tried it yet. One day!
I am very convinced that adding the alum block after a shave followed by a cold rinse, thayers witch hazel and good postshave balm (I like Nivea sensitive skin, smells great too) makes a huge difference in post shave feel!

Anyway that’s my 2 cents

You guys have to be tired of me saying thanks in my replies, but...well...thanks! Again, learning so much of the variety of preferences. This will all lead to a good fundamental base to go on. I hope I like DE shaving lol! Having not tried it I am intimidated but have always felt that way at first with things that demand focus (and commitment).
I'm going to start with the suggested Omega 10066 brush, for $10 I can feel like that is where I saved! I'm sure it won't be my last though. I appreciate you suggesting everything along with your advice.

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I am putting this along with the others info in a document to revisit after my initial purchases, I did not really expect so much info and advice!

:a5:

Get use to it, you're among friends!

Good list of blades. I’m screenshoting this!

They say one picture is worth a thousand words lol. I've tried all these and more.

IMG_2066.JPG

When it comes to DE blades, try as many as you can. No one can tell you what your best blade might be. You only find them by trying them.

I'm going to start with the suggested Omega 10066 brush, for $10 I can feel like that is where I saved!

My favorite brush and the only brush I use now is from Maggard.

Maggard Razors 22mm Black Handle Shaving Brush Synthetic | Maggard Razors Traditional Wet Shaving Products - https://www.maggardrazors.com/product/maggard-razors-22mm-synthetic-shaving-brush-black-handle/

Maggard is a great store. I order from them often. They have a low cost international shipping option that I make use of being in Canada. Connaught Shaving does as well, which is where I order my favorite soaps and creams. Phoenix & Beau, Wickham 1912 and Cyril R Salter.

Top Bottom