What's new

Here are the lyrics - what is the name of the song?

very funny. lots of covers of this song apparently.

I would have thought someone would have gotten yours, JCarr. Wanna try another one? your turn, still

how about this one?: "take me to a circus tent, where I can easily pay my rent, and all the others freaks will share my cares"

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I refuse to Google the lyrics. That sounds like a Frank Zappa or Pink Floyd song to me, but I'm not familiar with it.

JCarr

Well, it's not far down to paradise
At least it's not for me

And if the wind is right you can sail away...And find tranquility.

Oh, the canvas can do miracles, just you wait and see...believe me.

JCarr

that song was inescapable when it was a hit. I saw Christopher Cross live about 10 years ago. He is a good player. Band was tight. He played a lot of new music I had never heard. I did not run out and buy the new album.

That was the song my wife and I chose to have our first dance as husband and wife.

I am usually pretty good
With songs.. People I know will ask a song name by giving me
just a few lyrics and I can usually tell them the name....

I think I am usually decent at that, too. ones here are throwing me though.

there is something of an art to offering something folks to guess at. cant have the name of the song in the lyrics posted. too long a quote can give the whole sense of the song away!

Last edited:
Listening to one of the greats yesterday -

‘And surrender was the banner that she carried
And hunger was the shiver in her eyes.’

Listening to one of the greats yesterday -

‘And surrender was the banner that she carried
And hunger was the shiver in her eyes.’
I admit I am stumped on this one!

Maybe we ought to give some hints for ones previously posted that no one has gotten. I try to do mine--there seem to be a lot--in the following separate posts.

"don't the sun look angry through the trees? don't the trees look like crucified thieves?"
Okay the first post of hints.

The song is set at the Hollywood Hawaiian Hotel, a real place at one time apparently. And at the end the protagonist is looking down Collins Avenue.

"with heaven full of astronauts, and the Lord on death row"
The prior song on a huge best selling album segued into this song. That prior song is said to have been about a party at Jack Nicholson's house. In the prior song the protagonist bemoans how often she seems to find herself in indentical circumstances. A major theme in the song at issue is money versus love.

I said, 'You got my number?'
He said, 'Yeah, I got it when you walked in the door
This 1970 group had two hits counting this song. Their other hit centered on eye-color.

"Aw honey, how could you do it?

We swore each other everlasting love"

I said, "Well yeah, I know, but when we did

There was one thing we weren't thinking of, and that's . . . . "
I iwll take either the original artists or the solo female perfomer who got the much bigger hit from the song. Other lyrics include, "They shake your hand, and smille, and buy you a drink, they say we'll be your friend, we'll stick together to the end"

It's about the music business and about "love" I suppose.

Top Bottom