What's new

Here are the lyrics - what is the name of the song?

This one made me chuckle when I first heard it. Still makes me chuckle.

"We can't even think of a word that rhymes, well"

Just a thought.

But maybe this could be like the "song/band" thread.

Someone posts a lyric. People guess. The original poster confirms or denies answer, whoever guessed correctly, posts the next lyric.
seems like a good approach to me. are those the rules we are playing by?

otherwise, this should be easy:

"double helix in the sky tonight, throw out the hardware, let's do it right"

extra points for explaining what means!

Beautiful song. Aja by Steely Dan. Interested to hear back story of lyrics.
yes, well done! Aja is correcr. What I read, and it may have been speculative, is that these lyrics were essentially an invitation from Donald Fagen to Walter Becker, as the latter was getting deeper and deeper into injectible opiod abuse, to revisit the old days of psychedelic drug use for a night. To throw out the hardware of needles, syringes, spoons, tie off straps, in favor of tripping, of seeing a double helix in the sky, something like a batman symbol calling folks to expand their consciousness, to do it right. This seems like a brilliant, perfect fit for those lyrics to me. I really can't confirm their meaning apart from that.

I am not saying the whole song is about that. Apparently a woman Fagen knew and liked named Asia or something like that inspired the song, at least in part.

And, yes, a beautiful song, with perhaps yes best drum solo ever in it. A fair amount of arguably psychedelic imagery. Chinese music always sets me free. Angular banjoes, sound good to me!

Okay, FFL, your turn to come up with a lyric!

Last edited:
Well, before I had read all previous posts, probably should have, which included very good idea of how to work this thread I posted lyrics-

Can’t keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earth-bound misfit,

Well, before I had read all previous posts, probably should have, which included very good idea of how to work this thread I posted lyrics-

Can’t keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earth-bound misfit,
That is a really good one! I could not get it and ended up Googling it, so I cannot play!

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
The metaphysic wrinkles in the face of what you face
Are hidden by the fake-up man
Who lives inside the sterno can beside you

Top Bottom