What's new

Help Noob identify "new" razor

Howdy all,

I'm just wondering if somebody could help me identify the first razor I bought. I just got it yesterday. I won it on Ebay before I found this site. It looks like a goldtone super speed to me.

Here are some pics.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Hope this isn't an annoying post.

A late 40's SS....or very early 50's. If you are very lucky...it could be a 47'. Post a pic with the tto doors open...or just look to see if it has the blade notch. Great razor!!!

Edit: Is it gold tone?? hard to tell in the pic....If it's gold the more knowledgeable folks will know more for sure!!!

Last edited:
Yep, that's a '47! (Thought so from the underside, the "wings" on the end of the center bar confirm this. Now, is it in fact gold tone (which would make it a Milord, not a Super Speed), or is that just the Seller's picture taking prowess (very common on eBay, can't tell whether it's gold or the tint of the pic). Either way, very nice catch for a first razor, it looks nice and clean.

BTW, if it's a Super Speed, that is the first year and possibly most desirable of the genre.

Hahaha... just looking closer at the pics, there is color reference. It IS gold plated. That Sir is a '47 Milord, and the combination of it being a non-notched center bar, and knurling on the full handle make it quite rare AFAIK. I've seen one (my own) and not long ago, there was a discussion as to whether this variant even existed. A couple of the most experienced collectors here had never seen this variant, and I like the noob I am, asked if they existed, forgetting the details of my own collection!

Here's the thread if it interests you.

Last edited:
Oh man...when I saw that last pic I'm thinking SCORE!! Nice grab!! I would love to have a 47'!! If it's a Milord....double score!!

Hahaha... just looking closer at the pics, there is color reference. It IS gold plated. That Sir is a '47 Milord, and the combination of it being a non-notched center bar, and knurling on the full handle make it quite rare AFAIK. I've seen one (my own) and not long ago, there was a discussion as to whether this variant even existed. A couple of the most experienced collectors here had never seen this variant, and I like the noob I am, asked if they existed, forgetting the details of my own collection!

Here's the thread if it interests you.

Great info Sir!! I've picked up quite a few gillettes over the years....just now learning what some of them are...Though I'm quite sure I don't have one of these!!!! I did just learn I have a WW II tech...bakelite handle/black cap...unused....Not quite as exciting as a 47 Milord!!!!

cc

It is definitely Goldtone. It is loosing some of the plating around the outside edge though, but the mechanism works beautifully. So I did good for $28 bucks shipped with an almost new Boars bristle brush in the original box, a scuttle, and these blades nobody knows anything about.

proxy.php

It is definitely Goldtone. It is loosing some of the plating around the outside edge though, but the mechanism works beautifully. So I did good for $28 bucks shipped with an almost new Boars bristle brush in the original box, a scuttle, and these blades nobody knows anything about.

/QUOTE]

Ya Think??? :thumbup:

Top Bottom