What's new

Help me find some good BLADES :-)

Hello I have some bad news.

Regrettably, I’ve fallen into the deep and dark abyss of a rabbit hole of trying new blades. I never really seen the point after finding one you like (admittedly, still kinda don’t, but I think I am curious more than anything).

For reference, I really like Feather, Gillette Silver Blues, Astra, Shark Platinum and Gillette Wilkinson Swords.

So I have a few question’s. Which blades do you guys like and would recommend?

(maybe list a top 5 and a reason for why you like them. Maybe a pro or con?)

Also, where would you guys recommend buying some sample packs? WCS has a limited selection and I’m like eh at most of them.

I will say my daily driver is a Rex Ambassador. I have pretty course/curly facial hair and sensitive skin.

Oh and on a side note I was thinking about getting a 100 pack of Wilkinson sword (blue) blades from WCS. They have them listed as:

“4 Swords + 1 bonus Black Ninja”​

What the heck is a bonus black ninja? seems weird they would have one differnt blade in every tuck.

As always, YMMV.

Thank you gents!

Gillette Silver Blues are a great blade. Others that you might enjoy based on that preference:

• Gillette Permasharp Supers
  • Wizamet Super Iridiums
  • Gillette Nacets
  • Personna Lab Blues

And if you want a sharp Japanese blade that lasts more than two shaves, throw a tuck of Kais into your order and never look back! :)

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Hello I have some bad news.

Regrettably, I’ve fallen into the deep and dark abyss of a rabbit hole of trying new blades. I never really seen the point after finding one you like (admittedly, still kinda don’t, but I think I am curious more than anything).

For reference, I really like Feather, Gillette Silver Blues, Astra, Shark Platinum and Gillette Wilkinson Swords.

So I have a few question’s. Which blades do you guys like and would recommend?

(maybe list a top 5 and a reason for why you like them. Maybe a pro or con?)

Also, where would you guys recommend buying some sample packs? WCS has a limited selection and I’m like eh at most of them.

I will say my daily driver is a Rex Ambassador. I have pretty course/curly facial hair and sensitive skin.

Oh and on a side note I was thinking about getting a 100 pack of Wilkinson sword (blue) blades from WCS. They have them listed as:

What the heck is a bonus black ninja? seems weird they would have one differnt blade in every tuck.

As always, YMMV.

Thank you gents!

These blades should be among your top 5. Practically as sharp as a Feather blade, but with better edge retention, so they last longer, and provides an even smoother shave, then a Feather blade.

Bic Chrome Platinum...
proxy.php

I was intrigued by that as well, and by replying maybe I'll find out. :thumbup1:

Personally I like my Astra SPs and Wizamet SIs bought online in bulk, the KCG (buyable retail in the UK, but overpriced), and the German Personnas that showed up in retail around early 2020.

I was intrigued by that as well, and by replying maybe I'll find out. :thumbup1:

Personally I like my Astra SPs and Wizamet SIs bought online in bulk, the KCG (buyable retail in the UK, but overpriced), and the German Personnas that showed up in retail around early 2020.
This is the real mystery question. Maybe it’s just one Gillette Wilkinson sword (black) blade in each tuck? I am tempted to pull the trigger just to find out.

This is the real mystery question. Maybe it’s just one Gillette Wilkinson sword (black) blade in each tuck? I am tempted to pull the trigger just to find out.
Ah, I think I found the answer. The Gillette 7 o’clock (black) super platinum blades have the nickname “Black Ninja”.

Ah, I think I found the answer. The Gillette 7 o’clock (black) super platinum blades have the nickname “Black Ninja”.
Great blade, the Black.
Bic and Nacet too.
But that's for me, plus it depends on your razor.
Some blades may work for your hair and face, they may not work for others.
Don't think that a blade that gets praised by many will always work for you.
Only way to find out is trying blades.

Add a few Lord Platinums, Sharp Titanium, Personna Viking Swords, Personna Platinums reds(Isreal), Supermax Blue Diamonds, and Gillette Yellows to that sample pack with some of the others suggested here.

EDIT: Also, the GWS blades on WCS are overpriced. You can get 110/$6 on Ebay iirc.

linty1

My wallet cries.
I would second the tryablade website Jcarr mentioned. On a personal level, I also like the gsb blades, somebody pif'ed me a tuck of Nacets to try and I really liked the first blade, and then purchased a little 3 tucks of them to try in earnest when I run low on my gsbs.

Nacet Stainless, Perma-Sharp and BIC Chrome Platinum are my holy trinity. Plenty of sharp, very smooth, durable, inexpensive and very easy to find.

Looks like our tastes in blades overlap a bit. (In other words, you have GREAT TASTE!!)

In no particular order, my ’top-tier’
GSB
Astra SP
Nacet
Personna lab (or med prep)
Personna red
Wizamet SI (or Polsilver)

Looks like our tastes in blades overlap a bit. (In other words, you have GREAT TASTE!!)

In no particular order, my ’top-tier’
GSB
Astra SP
Nacet
Personna lab (or med prep)
Personna red
Wizamet SI (or Polsilver)
This is almost identical to what I'd choose for top o' the line.

These are what work for me and usually the only blades that I purchase and rotate through:
Gillette Silver Blue
Gillette Nacet
Rapira Platinum Lux
Voskhod Teflon Coated
Shark Super Stainless
Personna Lab Blue

I've tried a lot of different blades and there are plenty of good ones out there, but I decided to stick with these.

Top Bottom