What's new

Help! I no longer like the soap I love!

This damned forum has spoiled me for shaving soap. For the longest time I used Ogallala Bay Rum shaving soap pretty much exclusively because it's my favorite scent. It's always been a decent soap for me, but since I started being active in this forum I've tried a few others and seen that there are soaps that are way more than just decent. So now I'm finding my Ogallala shaves to be, well, almost disappointing. I still adore the bath soap, aftershave and cologne, but the shaving soap just leaves something to be desired.

So far I've tried Stirling, Proraso, and my absolute favorite (and, unfortunately irreplaceable) Vinolia. Proraso is great, Stirling is amazing, and Vinolia has totally blown me away.

Have any of you tried Ogallala in addition to other Bay Rums? Who makes a Bay Rum with a scent similar to Ogallala but with a higher quality lathering experience? I know Stirling (which I've loved so far) has a Bay Rum, but I have no idea how it smells. And I know there's Colonel Conk, but I don't know how it smells or how it lathers.

Even though Bay Rum is my absolute favorite scent, I'm not 100% married to it. If there's a Bay Rum soap out there that smells similar to Ogallala but makes a wonderful lather, that would be ideal, but if there are other soaps out there that lather really well, even if they're not Bay Rum, I'm willing to give them a shot.

So what do y'all recommend?

I like soaps with a thick, rich, slick lather. The Ogallala has been slick, but it seems almost runny and thin relative to better soaps I've tried. Also, I'm pretty sure I have hard water, for what that's worth.

Drake's Luxury Bay Rum

Ingredients : Stearic acid, cocos nucifera oil, aqua, potassium hydroxide, butyrospermum parkii butter, adeps gallinacius, sodium chloride, parfum, limonene, eugenol, linalol.

Scent profile:
- St. Thomas bay and bay laurel: two similar fruits that are reminiscent of laurel, but that sweeten it.
- Citron: native to India, it brings a woody and fruity note at the same time. It is a citrus fruit similar to lemon, which scent is reminiscent of cedar.
- Frankincense: a woody, fairly mineral scent with a slightly spicy aspect.
- Amber rum: warm, sweet, spicy.
- Ambergris: powdery, warm, it helps binding the different notes together.
- Cade wood: smoky woody

I don’t know - a lot of guys dump on Ogallala, but it still remains one of my favorite soaps. Both for performance and scent. I haven’t found other Bay Rum soaps that smell like Ogallala. A recent discovery of mine is Soap Dudes. The Soap Dudes Bay Rum is a nice scent and a great performer. It doesn’t smell like Ogallala, or any other bay rums, for that matter.

This damned forum has spoiled me for shaving soap. For the longest time I used Ogallala Bay Rum shaving soap pretty much exclusively because it's my favorite scent. It's always been a decent soap for me, but since I started being active in this forum I've tried a few others and seen that there are soaps that are way more than just decent. So now I'm finding my Ogallala shaves to be, well, almost disappointing. I still adore the bath soap, aftershave and cologne, but the shaving soap just leaves something to be desired.

So far I've tried Stirling, Proraso, and my absolute favorite (and, unfortunately irreplaceable) Vinolia. Proraso is great, Stirling is amazing, and Vinolia has totally blown me away.

Have any of you tried Ogallala in addition to other Bay Rums? Who makes a Bay Rum with a scent similar to Ogallala but with a higher quality lathering experience? I know Stirling (which I've loved so far) has a Bay Rum, but I have no idea how it smells. And I know there's Colonel Conk, but I don't know how it smells or how it lathers.

Even though Bay Rum is my absolute favorite scent, I'm not 100% married to it. If there's a Bay Rum soap out there that smells similar to Ogallala but makes a wonderful lather, that would be ideal, but if there are other soaps out there that lather really well, even if they're not Bay Rum, I'm willing to give them a shot.

I like soaps with a thick, rich, slick lather. The Ogallala has been slick, but it seems almost runny and thin relative to better soaps I've tried. Also, I'm pretty sure I have hard water, for what that's worth.
Ogallala Bay Rum was one of my first shaving soaps and I too found it difficult to lather with. It's very slick but the lather itself disappeared on me every time. Also, my skin did not take clove well so it burned many times.

I tried the Chiseled Face Bay Rum once and it had a bit spicy Bay rum scent to it. I found it similar to Ogallala but a bit more spices mixed whereas Ogallala was more sweet. My face burned to clove as well with that... I do not have good luck with bay rum in general.

I like Ogallala Bay Rum too!
The OBR with Orange is one of my favorite scents. Period.
That’s why I buy it.
For a more durable lather it is tough to beat Captains Choice.
I love the way it lathers.
And it is a moisturizing soap.
My cousin Jim is a fan of the RazoRock Bay Rum.
Enjoy your soaps.

Ogallala does have some excellent Bay Rum options and scent wise they are top of the Bay Rum heap IMO. The only other BR that comes close is Turtleship Bay Rum which has a clean almost cologne vibe to it plus a ingredient list second to none.

I love the smell of Ogallala Bay rum but I was very disappointed with it’s performance. I have moved on to Barrister & Manne and Mike’s bay rum which smell almost as good but provide better performance.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Unfortunately, I don't seem to find a lot of bay rum choices in the top soaps. I recommend you live with another scent for the 10 minutes it takes to shave and then enjoy your bay rum in your post shave products.

+1! My experience was very similar!! I enjoy Ogallala scents, but find that my standards for soap performance changed because of B&B!!

Some of my current favorites are: Haslinger (all eight options, especially in their old ‘tallow’), MWF, Cella (especially from the ‘brick’ format), Fine, MdC, SV... too many to list!! :clap: :clap:

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

Stirling Bay Rum will blow your socks off!!!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

For a Bay Rum, you might try Captain's Choice.

Screenshot_2020-03-10 Shaving Soap - Bay Rum — Captain's Choice(1).png

I use my Captains Choice 45th Parallel cream fairly often and the performance is there with my best soaps and creams.

Top Bottom