What's new

Eucalyptus and menthol

I was where you are about 7-8yrs ago but my reason for dropping Proraso Green was because of what the soap was doing to my sink, drains, and equipment. The film that soap leaves behind is really bad and doesn't take long to build up!! When I was looking most of the suggestions revolved around Stirling and I've used several tubs of Stirling in the last 7-8yrs because of the suggestions.

My suggestion to you would be to get a sample puck of Frozen Tundra and also the Eucalyptus and Mint and give them a try. Each sample is on average of 30+ shaves each and is a great way to try a soap without breaking the bank. I've been through a few samples and a tub of Frozen Tundra which is my favorite Stirling scent but have never tried the E&M though.

Good luck on your search.
I just ordered samples from Stirling (Unscented w/beeswax, sheep and naked+smooth), so perhaps I’ll give those a try next time.

Laugar of Sweden Rimfrost shaving soap: eucalyptus and menthol with a clean ingredients list.
I’ll have to check this out next time I’m over there since I liked the Grön Lycka soap I bought. I assume the quality is very good with Laugar as well. Do you happen to know how they compare to one another?

The alternative to classic Proraso verde is Omega's eucalyptus oil shaving cream.

View attachment 1826281
View attachment 1826290

Very fresh,pleasant and ideal from spring-summer.
View attachment 1826282
I do not know if it is readily available in the U.S. In Italy it costs more than the classic mentholated Proraso.
I have seen this one, though not many places. I did read that it was apparently made by Proraso previously?

Not sure what the current formula is, but the one I found seems to differ from yours:

IMG_6729.jpeg

Not sure how that stacks up performance/quality-wise.

The tobacco note is more green/light, you mostly get eucalyptus/menthol. It's such a great soap, doesn't get much slicker than SMN.. The scent on SMDF is great too (I think they use SMN fragrance oil) but the soap base is average at best for me.
Thank you. Perhaps I’ll put that on a list for later. At the moment I just can’t justify spending that amount of soap/cream. Previously, even AyLM and SV was stretching it a bit. Maybe I will try the SMdF splash to test the scent at least.

I’ll have to check this out next time I’m over there since I liked the Grön Lycka soap I bought. I assume the quality is very good with Laugar as well. Do you happen to know how they compare to one another?

You could compare Laugar to Fitjar Islands soaps. Made on a small scale by a Norwegian lady living in Sweden. Very clean and pure ingredients list. Unusual for artisan soaps, this has a firmer texture and lasts quite a long time. It's pretty expensive at full retail price, Pasteur's Pharmacy in NYC had it on discount sale for awhile. I think they are out of stock, though.

I really like the performance of the Laugar soaps. Sometimes people say olive oil inhibits good lather. Not in this case. Lathering is easy and the lather is rich almost like a shaving cream. Post-shave feel is really nice, as well.

Laugar of Sweden said:
Ingredients:

Aqua, Stearic Acid, Cocos Nucifera Oil, Olea Europaea Fruit Oil,Potassium Hydroxide, Theobroma Cacao Seed Butter, Ricinus Communis Seed Oil,Butyrospermum Parkii Butter, Sodium Hydroxide, Simmondsia Chinensis Seed Oil, Mentha Arvensis Flower Oil, Eucalyptus Globulus Leaf Oil, Limonene.

1713141986694.png

Thank you. Perhaps I’ll put that on a list for later. At the moment I just can’t justify spending that amount of soap/cream. Previously, even AyLM and SV was stretching it a bit. Maybe I will try the SMdF splash to test the scent at least.

I have both the SMdF soap and splash. The splash is more about the tobacco than the soap. While it's the SMdF scent, it's not really representative of the soap. The soap does have some of that sharper/medicinal scent quality, is somewhat cooling and refreshing, I prefer Proraso green for that cooling/refreshing vibe.

I really miss the pre-"super formula" proraso green soap.

You could compare Laugar to Fitjar Islands soaps. Made on a small scale by a Norwegian lady living in Sweden. Very clean and pure ingredients list. Unusual for artisan soaps, this has a firmer texture and lasts quite a long time. It's pretty expensive at full retail price, Pasteur's Pharmacy in NYC had it on discount sale for awhile. I think they are out of stock, though.

I really like the performance of the Laugar soaps. Sometimes people say olive oil inhibits good lather. Not in this case. Lathering is easy and the lather is rich almost like a shaving cream. Post-shave feel is really nice, as well.

View attachment 1829678
I’ve tried Fitjar’s soap and it was nice. I don’t have it at the moment, but I remember Grön Lycka being on the firmer side as well.

Yes, unfortunately it appears it’s out of stock at Pasteurs. 226 kr isn’t unreasonable as that’s roughly $20 USD. I could order it when I’m over there but the shipping is still expensive at 162 kr.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Proraso Green is unique and to me nothing is superior. I really cannot imagine my den without Proraso!

Lemongrass & Blue Gum Menthol or Tea Tree and Blue Gum from Mystic Water for Men might suit what you’re looking for. I’d recommend checking them out.

Last edited:
Is there anything similar to the Proraso green soap but higher quality? I found a TFS soap that appears to fit the bill but it looks like it’s unavailable.

Stirling has eucalyptus and mint, but mint is not appealing to me as I’m just looking for the refreshing+menthol feeling minus additional scents.

I did see people recommending getting eucalyptus oil and adding it, but I’ve started face lathering recently and I would prefer to avoid having to add it to a whole tub of soap or the inconvenience of reintroducing a bowl (tub loading then moving to a bowl and adding the oil).

I like Catie's Bubbles Mile High Menthol

Is there anything similar to the Proraso green soap but higher quality? I found a TFS soap that appears to fit the bill but it looks like it’s unavailable.

Stirling has eucalyptus and mint, but mint is not appealing to me as I’m just looking for the refreshing+menthol feeling minus additional scents.

I did see people recommending getting eucalyptus oil and adding it, but I’ve started face lathering recently and I would prefer to avoid having to add it to a whole tub of soap or the inconvenience of reintroducing a bowl (tub loading then moving to a bowl and adding the oil).
There is a recent thread on Razorock's Santa Maria Del Fiore (SMDF) shaving soap that you may help with your question.

I have seen this one, though not many places. I did read that it was apparently made by Proraso previously?

Not sure what the current formula is, but the one I found seems to differ from yours:

View attachment 1829645

Not sure how that stacks up performance/quality-wise.
Sorry for late reply,I just read your message now.
Yes a decade ago there was a rumor that Omega shaving cream was made by Proraso but it was never confirmed.

Currently Omega is produced by a 'different soap maker whose name is unknown.
My bowl of Omega is fairly recent, I bought it a couple of years ago.

The INCI in your photo probably refers to one of the earlier versions from several years ago, it has been changed over the years.
I appreciate and often use Proraso verde but my personal preference is for the Omega cream, the cream soap is firmer than the green Proraso and produces a firmer lather, obviously IMHO.
I am not saying that it is superior to green Proraso, I would never dare to claim such a thing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom