What's new

Head Shaver's Check-In

My Karve Bison razor showed up a day early so I brought it in to work with me so I could check it out. I only have approximately 25 minutes from when I get up before I have to be out the door and on my way into work….so obviously I didn’t have enough time to shave.

I can’t wait until Friday night to try it out. The blade positioning and clamping are very similar to Henson. The handle feels great as well.

Looking forward to your review! The balance on the handle is one of the subtle great things about the Bison.

Henson/Israeli: 10/10

IMG_7053.jpg

Thursday, May 16, 2024

Hardware
RazorEdwin Jagger DE89
BladeTreet Platinum (2 / 10) [5]
BrushRudy Vey 2024 B&B (Semogue Mistura)

Software
Pre-
LatherStirling Unscented with Beeswax (Sample) [5]
PostClubman Virgin Island Bay Rum

Rating
10 / 10

Notes
Stirling Unscented Beeswax feels great on my noggin.

Tonight was my first shave with my Karve Bison and all I can say is that this is what I was hoping for when I tried the Yates Winning v2. It provided an absolutely great and comfortable shave, very much like Henson razors but different. If you enjoy using a Henson + or ++ you will feel right at home with the Bison.

I feel like it had the efficiency of the ++ (or better by a slight amount) but the comfort of the +. It is a very smooth razor.

I paired it with a Perma-sharp blade and I think I will stick with this combo for a bit before trying different blades, to get a feel for it.

One thing I have noticed is that when I shave for the first time at the end of the week it is usually a very good shave ( with the exception of the Winning or Oneblade Genesis….nothing can help either of those two) so the real test will be on Sunday when I shave again after a day and a half of growth, instead of the five days of growth I had tonight.

But it looks very very promising.

Edit: I forgot to mention the reason why I think the efficiency is a bit better than the Henson ++. With this razor it required much much less blade buffing in my usual problem spots, and that was a big contributor to the shave being so comfortable.

Last edited:
I usually don’t record my head shaves much nowadays. Mainly because they basically are (very fortunately) always the same. That and I tend to forget them. But for this evening I wanted to make an exception, because I couldn’t wait to use Boris @blethenstrom stuff!

Awesome shave! My Schick G1 never disappoints. I think the Personna blade is going on 20-30 shaves (don’t track those), but still difficultly sharp. DFS++ with hints of BBS.

Mudder Focker is a fantastic soap. I always thought it would smell earthy or something dark, but in actuality it doesn’t at all. LOTH likes it too! Very rich and thick lather.

The RR400 Butterscotch was superb! What. A. Joy. Rich lather, abundant lather and enough backbone with softness. Very different from my 400 aluminium, but I need more uses to understand those differences if any.

Happy happy joy joy!!🤩

IMG_4928.jpeg

Just had my Sunday head shave, the second so far with my Karve Bison and a new Perma-sharp blade. As expected it provide a phenomenal shave. So smooth and comfortable. I surprised that it is so efficient yet so smooth. The amount of blade buffing required is so much less…we are talking a significant amount less. I’d say several minutes of just blade buffing.

There is one spot on the top-back-side that up until now would give me so many problems but this razor knocks about 98% of that spot down with just my XTG and ATG passes.

I would say that if you are a Henson fan that you would be doing yourself a disservice by not trying the Bison out. It’s THAT good.

Sunday, May 19, 2024

Hardware
RazorEdwin Jagger DE89
BladeTreet Platinum (2 / 10) [9]
BrushSemogue Pegasus Boar

Software
Pre-
LatherVitos Eucalyptus Shaving Cream [2]
PostProraso Green Splash

Rating
9 / 10

Notes
-

I usually don’t record my head shaves much nowadays. Mainly because they basically are (very fortunately) always the same. That and I tend to forget them. But for this evening I wanted to make an exception, because I couldn’t wait to use Boris @blethenstrom stuff!

Awesome shave! My Schick G1 never disappoints. I think the Personna blade is going on 20-30 shaves (don’t track those), but still difficultly sharp. DFS++ with hints of BBS.

Mudder Focker is a fantastic soap. I always thought it would smell earthy or something dark, but in actuality it doesn’t at all. LOTH likes it too! Very rich and thick lather.

The RR400 Butterscotch was superb! What. A. Joy. Rich lather, abundant lather and enough backbone with softness. Very different from my 400 aluminium, but I need more uses to understand those differences if any.

Happy happy joy joy!!🤩

View attachment 1848662
I was wondering lately why you didn’t record your head shaves; now I know.

Been a while since I posted… had a great head shave yesterday after a long day of yard work. I don’t know anything about this blade, but it paired really nicely with this Tech to deliver a DFS in 2 passes. Maybe it’s a little wider than normal because it had more blade feel that a Tech usually does, but not so much that it caused irritation.

10/10 shave

IMG_4180.jpeg

Another head shave with my Karve Bison and a Perma-sharp blade this morning, and another great shave. What was the best part is that it had been less than 24 hours since I had shaved and yet there was no irritation involved. Just a smooth and comfortable shave resulting in BBS. I feel like this could possibly be an every day shave combo…definitely could handle every other day. It’s too bad that my normal routine can’t allow for shaves that often. I’m off this week so I’ll be able to shave at least every other day.

20240519_145630.jpg

Sunday I got out my 1910 ish Gem Junior lather catcher for a head shave. The gem Blue Star carbon steel blade went bad on me on the first pass so I loaded up a SS Coated blade excellent shave. I had one cut on the front of my head where I accidentally did a J hook . Also did some experimenting with soaps, the cremo bourbon vanilla as a pre-shave vanderhagen whiskey and tobacco, and Ogallala Bay Rum and Vanilla Aftershave.

Top Bottom