What's new

Head Shaver's Check-In

I'm in a weird spot with my head shaving.

I hate the stubble left behind by even the closest cutting clippers as well as hate that process entirely. I've used just about every razor you can imagine on my head (30+ DEs, injectors, shavettes, headblade, Gillette guard, orange Bic, various disposables) and all of them leave me with terrible ingrowns on the back of my neck and nape. Don't worry, I've tried: cold water, warm water, alum, wtg only, atg only, brush, no brush, shave first/shower second, shower first/shave second, tend skin, nothing helped. I recently started using a cheap Remington electric foil shaver and that has, for me, been the best middle ground between closeness and comfort but it still isn't great and takes about 10 mins for me to just have visible stubble and hour later. I like having a smooth dome or just letting my hair go entirely, I'm not really into any sort of middle ground. Basically I'm at the point of giving up entirely on head shaving because of this constant struggle. I'm not bald or even balding, I'm entirely "bald by choice" so it's not a big deal... I just highly prefer a smooth dome.
there are depilatory creams for razorless head shaving (I know King of Shaves and Nair makes products marketed to men). I've not used them on my head (yet) but my wife has used them on her legs and they have an awful odor. If you can endure that, then maybe that's the direction to go.

I started head-shaving a few years ago with a clippers set to zero, but that technique left stubble with which I was never completely happy -- it didn't feel "clean-cut" if that makes any sense.
I started experimenting with safety razors: Krona, Superspeeds, Merkur 34c, Gem Jr. These are all great razors on my face, but on my head they all necessitated multiple passes. (I have very light hair that seems to "lie down" at the very hint of an approaching razor, only to pop back up again, largely unscathed, once the threat has passed. It was like my own hair was conducting a guerrilla insurgency against me, and it was winning.) I surrendered myself to the second-best option: a Schick Hydro. Bleah!
When I acquired my first open-comb razor (Long Comb Gillette New) I decided to try it out on my head, presupposing yet another futile attempt. How wrong I was! Those wee little beasties never saw it coming! It mowed them down in a single pass, leaving a swath of bald desolation in its wake, like Sherman to Savannah! (Can you tell I'm happy about this razor? Is there some secret New LC society I can join?)
Glad to hear the LC NEW is working for you, I love both OC and safety bar razors. I think I must just be easy to shave, or maybe it just that don't chase BBS CCS to DFS is good enough for me.
I'm in a weird spot with my head shaving.

I hate the stubble left behind by even the closest cutting clippers as well as hate that process entirely. I've used just about every razor you can imagine on my head (30+ DEs, injectors, shavettes, headblade, Gillette guard, orange Bic, various disposables) and all of them leave me with terrible ingrowns on the back of my neck and nape. Don't worry, I've tried: cold water, warm water, alum, wtg only, atg only, brush, no brush, shave first/shower second, shower first/shave second, tend skin, nothing helped. I recently started using a cheap Remington electric foil shaver and that has, for me, been the best middle ground between closeness and comfort but it still isn't great and takes about 10 mins for me to just have visible stubble and hour later. I like having a smooth dome or just letting my hair go entirely, I'm not really into any sort of middle ground. Basically I'm at the point of giving up entirely on head shaving because of this constant struggle. I'm not bald or even balding, I'm entirely "bald by choice" so it's not a big deal... I just highly prefer a smooth dome.
I tried an electric years ago, it worked OK if I used it every day or 2 at most any more and it toot for ever. It didn't take to long before the blades dulled and I never bothered to replace them.

With the winter I've been getting pretty lazy with my head shaves. The beard is still in it's full winter state, so I barely even clean up around it, just hit the few that fall well out of the beard line every week or so. Head shaving has dropped to 2 to 3 times a week and a few times I probably went close to 2 weeks without shaving. The stubble really doesn't bother me, and I wear a hat most days anyway. I may go back to everyday shaves as the weather changes, but missing a day or 2 hear and there never really bothers me.

there are depilatory creams for razorless head shaving (I know King of Shaves and Nair makes products marketed to men). I've not used them on my head (yet) but my wife has used them on her legs and they have an awful odor. If you can endure that, then maybe that's the direction to go.

Back before I discovered traditional shaving which lead to me reducing my neck irritation by at least 90% (face and front neck, not back neck/head) I tried using "magic razorless cream shave" which is marketed towards ethnic gentleman. I am not an ethnic gentleman but I've had several barbers, stylists, and even a doctor tell me that my hair is thicker, Fuller, and more curly then anyone of non-caucasian ethnicity they've ever had their hands on. I followed the directions exactly... It gave me a severe chemical burn and still left behind half of my hair. I stuck with it for a few weeks hoping my skin would adjust and it never did.

Back before I discovered traditional shaving which lead to me reducing my neck irritation by at least 90% (face and front neck, not back neck/head) I tried using "magic razorless cream shave" which is marketed towards ethnic gentleman. I am not an ethnic gentleman but I've had several barbers, stylists, and even a doctor tell me that my hair is thicker, Fuller, and more curly then anyone of non-caucasian ethnicity they've ever had their hands on. I followed the directions exactly... It gave me a severe chemical burn and still left behind half of my hair. I stuck with it for a few weeks hoping my skin would adjust and it never did.
yikes! I generally don't give anything a second chance. I had a cinnamon shave soap that made my face burn for about 1/2 an hour after shaving. PIF'd it away with the caveat that it may do the same to the winner.

yikes! I generally don't give anything a second chance. I had a cinnamon shave soap that made my face burn for about 1/2 an hour after shaving. PIF'd it away with the caveat that it may do the same to the winner.

I've given Arko probably 50 tries, burns me every time. That lather though! Haha.

That's ok, I just discovered the joy of soap commander today.

I've given Arko probably 50 tries, burns me every time. That lather though! Haha.

That's ok, I just discovered the joy of soap commander today.
Soap Commander is one of my favorite performing soaps. Wish the strength of scent was more consistent across their soaps. Some are strong, some are weak imo

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Checking in after a 6 month break from head shaving.

The MMOC is still my goto head shaver. The Clog Pruf is not far behind, it's safer to use without sacrificing efficiency, not that I have any issues using the MMOC.

This morning was Wholly Kaw Vetililac with a Maggard V3A. I'm just starting to get that sandpaper grit feel around the temples after nearly 12 hours.

Checking in after a 6 month break from head shaving.

The MMOC is still my goto head shaver. The Clog Pruf is not far behind, it's safer to use without sacrificing efficiency, not that I have any issues using the MMOC.
I have a clog pruf that I have used a couple of times on my head and haven't had great results with it. May have to revisit it...

I have a clog pruf that I have used a couple of times on my head and haven't had great results with it. May have to revisit it...

The instructions for the Clog Pruf is the same as these. If you go too steep, it can be unpleasant! I use GEM SS PTFE blades.

Screenshot_20170728-191704_1_1.jpg

Yeah I use those same blades as well. Maybe I was too steep.

I use it pretty close to flat but not quite...

I haven't been shaving my head daily, but still wash it daily and apply my Nivea maximum hydration post shave balm to keep my skin moisturized.

On another note, shaving after swimming in a chlorine pool, on vacation, was very unpleasant! The chlorine must have dried my skin out, my face and head shave was uncomfortable, no blood loss, felt like I was shaving without lather or water, aftershave lit my face up. Happened on a previous vacation, I'm sure it is the pool.

If I need to shave, I will do it before going in the pool next time.

I use it pretty close to flat but not quite...

I haven't been shaving my head daily, but still wash it daily and apply my Nivea maximum hydration post shave balm to keep my skin moisturized.

On another note, shaving after swimming in a chlorine pool, on vacation, was very unpleasant! The chlorine must have dried my skin out, my face and head shave was uncomfortable, no blood loss, felt like I was shaving without lather or water, aftershave lit my face up. Happened on a previous vacation, I'm sure it is the pool.

If I need to shave, I will do it before going in the pool next time.
Yes, I have had the same experience with chlorine. If I am planning on shaving after swimming I apply a ton of lotion prior to shaving

Over the winter I was only shaving once maybe twice a week, a few times I went 2-3 weeks without shaving. I'm back up to 3-4 times a week now. Today I used a Thin Cap OLD, Monday was a C-1 Repeater.

Never tried to shave after being in the pool. I'm a morning shaver. If I don't shave before breakfast (or sometimes right after) I most likely won't shave that day.

Just shaved my head with a Gillete 7o'clock green...holy cow is this blade sharper than the Derby I used my last go around...WTG followed by a XTG.

It's so smooth I'm worried that I'm gonna get some razor bumps...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Just shaved my head with a Gillete 7o'clock green...holy cow is this blade sharper than the Derby I used my last go around...WTG followed by a XTG.

I always go for a bbs dome, never had an ingrown hair. Doing headshaves for over a year now.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn STF-L09 met Tapatalk

I always go for a bbs dome, never had an ingrown hair. Doing headshaves for over a year now.

I wish I could, but my skin and stiff hair makes it impossible.

If I cut below the skin, there is going to be issues a day later.

I wish I could, but my skin and stiff hair makes it impossible.

If I cut below the skin, there is going to be issues a day later.

That's a shame, but good to know about your own skin and hair ofcourse.

I find Derbys to be OK, but it's not hard to find a sharper blade.
I do 2 passes front to back (more or less WTG for me) sometimes 3 if I'm taking on several days growth. Usually leaves me with a CCS to DFS occasionally a BBS happens. If I go do too much ATG I risk ingrowns and bumps. I rarely get bumps on the top or sides of my head, but the back and especially the back of my neck can be as bad or worse than the front of it.

Top Bottom