What's new

Head Shaver's Check-In

BBS dome once again.

IMG_20180718_205803.jpg

I’ve been using a straight for years but I’m in the process of switching my prep, I’m going to start using pre shave oil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been using a straight for years but I’m in the process of switching my prep, I’m going to start using pre shave oil

Nice! I've tried a straight, but could never get a decent shave in a reasonable amount of time. Maybe if I shaved more of my face I could get a better hang of it, but I like the beard too much. Good luck with the oil, hope it works for you never agreed with my skin.

My weapon of choice for this morning a 47-47 'crat and an Astra SP.

I haven't seen my hair in five years which is enough to officially proclaim it dead. Honestly no idea how much of a natural loss there is. If I let it grow for a few days it seems to be thinner on top with a few small, smooth patches of skin but it might just be old shaving scars. I have a mean Soluna DE that feasts on my blood if I disrespect it.

Relatively new to the forum, but not new to head shaving (been doing that for almost 25 years now) and wanted to share my routine and a new razor that I found perfect for my head shaves. (It's a cart)
On weekends or other days when I have the time, I do use a DE on my head (34c or my new favorite Rockwell 6s) but for everyday head shaving, my go to has been the Schick Xtreme 3. I have tried every other cart out there, and they just don't perform like I want.

I shave my head in the shower, and these have been quick and efficient. I love the way the blades flex in the middle, I think they are the only brand that does that, but it makes it comfortable around the whole dome. Recently, they have changed the handle design, and I find them more clunky and don't like them at all, so I started stockpiling the old design. I have probably 3 years worth of them now!

Recently after watching a review of the Defender Razor, I ordered one on a whim. I wasn't expecting much as they looked sort of gimmicky, but wanted to give it a shot. $5 for the handle and one blade is not cheap, but was desperate the find a good replacement for my beloved Schicks.

I generally do a two pass then cleanup. With my first pass with the Defender, I ran my hand over my head and found almost a completely smooth dome. I was in shock and a bit giddy I have to admit! After a quick cleanup, my head shave was done. Smooth, irritation free, no nicks, and no second pass needed. I used the same blade every day for the past week, and got the same result every time (though today the cleanup took a bit longer as the blades had dulled some)

I don't want to sound like a commercial for Defender, and have no affiliation with them, but I immediately ordered two packs of the blades. If you get in on their reorder program, you save 20%, which still puts these at $2 per blade. But man, a quick, comfortable and efficient head shave on a busy workday morning is worth it to me!

Saw this by chance.

I shave my head. Used to use cartridge razors and canned foam.

Started Straight razor shaving it with TOBS grapefruit cream 2 years ago. Then progressed to DE with a Merkur 27 OC, then onto a Timeless .68 OC and Scalloped and timeless .95 SB. Have also got a Blackland Blackbird SB which is my go to out of my acquisitions. I have a Karve A and B plate on the way and a Paradigm SE titanium arriving next week.

I do a WTG, then XTG, then touch ups - so 2 and a half passes and I get BBS.

Favourite soaps are MdC fougere, Razorock What da puck, and others including CF lime, soap commander, captains choice, WSP.

Blades - I always get nicks with feather blades. I like the wilkenson sword, and Astra blades but have also tried polsilver, kai, derby, persona and a few others.

I like using the Proraso pre-shave cream now (and for post shave) as well as an alum block and Proraso aftershave balm or Nivea sensitive aftershave balm.

I always always always get a burn when rubbing the alum block on my head and thought that my skin was always going to be that way....... until last week when I went slow with the blackbird. Not a single burn with the alum block. Could not believe it!! Wow. Never thought that would be me that would say “I didn’t get any burning with the alum block), but I did so it.!!

Anyway, my thoughts - it is good to have a thread for head shavers. I’ll have this in my watched threads list.

Saw this by chance.

I shave my head. Used to use cartridge razors and canned foam.

Started Straight razor shaving it with TOBS grapefruit cream 2 years ago. Then progressed to DE with a Merkur 27 OC, then onto a Timeless .68 OC and Scalloped and timeless .95 SB. Have also got a Blackland Blackbird SB which is my go to out of my acquisitions. I have a Karve A and B plate on the way and a Paradigm SE titanium arriving next week.

I do a WTG, then XTG, then touch ups - so 2 and a half passes and I get BBS.

Favourite soaps are MdC fougere, Razorock What da puck, and others including CF lime, soap commander, captains choice, WSP.

Blades - I always get nicks with feather blades. I like the wilkenson sword, and Astra blades but have also tried polsilver, kai, derby, persona and a few others.

I like using the Proraso pre-shave cream now (and for post shave) as well as an alum block and Proraso aftershave balm or Nivea sensitive aftershave balm.

I always always always get a burn when rubbing the alum block on my head and thought that my skin was always going to be that way....... until last week when I went slow with the blackbird. Not a single burn with the alum block. Could not believe it!! Wow. Never thought that would be me that would say “I didn’t get any burning with the alum block), but I did so it.!!

Anyway, my thoughts - it is good to have a thread for head shavers. I’ll have this in my watched threads list.

Welcome to the club!

I haven't shaved my head since the end of August, not balding, still have options... I'll probably go back to shaving it in the spring.

Question for all you head shavers out there. Do/have any of you used any high end modern de razors? Like Timeless, Charcoal Goods, ATT? I am thinking about getting one and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them and felt they are worth the money. Also looking at the Karve D or E plate. Thanks!

Question for all you head shavers out there. Do/have any of you used any high end modern de razors? Like Timeless, Charcoal Goods, ATT? I am thinking about getting one and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them and felt they are worth the money. Also looking at the Karve D or E plate. Thanks!

I just finished test driving the Rex Ambassador. It was wonderful. The only other premium razor I've used on my head is the Asylum Evolution. Also agreat.share

Timeless .95 works great for my head. Blackbird and ATT SE1/2 did not. Karve D/F work well enough but not quite up to the Timeless. Game Changer 84 is almost as good as the Timeless and better than the Karve for me.

Last edited:
I just finished test driving the Rex Ambassador. It was wonderful. The only other premium razor I've used on my head is the Asylum Evolution. Also agreat.share

Thanks for your input! I have heard good things about the Rex Ambassador but I am not a huge adjustable guy.

Timeless .95 works great for my head. Blackbird and ATT SE1/2 did not. Karve D/F work well enough but not quite up to the Timeless. Game Changer 84 is almost as good as the Timeless and better than the Karve for me.

Timeless is at/near the top of my list!

My order of purchases:
Merkur 25C
Timeless master kit (.95 SB, .68 OC, .68 SCLP)
Blackland Blackbird SB
Karve (A + B Plates)
Paradigm SE titanium

I have not used anything else for shaving my head since I got the paradigm SE. It’s excellent. Very high quality. The Blackbird is excellent as well as a DE. The Karve is very smooth. I would have liked to have tried the Karve in a C/D plate. I got it the same time as the SE. I have used the Karve once and the Paradigm 20 times.

I would highly recommend any of these razors apart from the Merkur. Apart from the merkur, all of these are expensive hi end razors.

I want a charcoal and I want a wolfman. But with the blackbird and paradigm, I have cured my RAD somewhat.

I hope this helps.

You didn’t mention the Feather AS-D2- not sure if that’s considered high end. I was using an EJ-89 and liked it well enough, but I LOVE the Feather AS-D2! It’s smooth and gentle on my head and I never get razor burn, even on the back of my neck. It’s an awesome head razor!

My order of purchases:
Merkur 25C
Blackland Blackbird SB
Karve (A + B Plates)
Paradigm SE titanium

I have not used anything else for shaving my head since I got the paradigm SE. It’s excellent. Very high quality. The Blackbird is excellent as well as a DE. The Karve is very smooth. I would have liked to have tried the Karve in a C/D plate. I got it the same time as the SE. I have used the Karve once and the Paradigm 20 times.

I would highly recommend any of these razors apart from the Merkur. Apart from the merkur, all of these are expensive hi end razors.

I want a charcoal and I want a wolfman. But with the blackbird and paradigm, I have cured my RAD somewhat.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for your input! I wish there weren’t so many great choices out there!

Taking price into consideration, how would you compare the Karve to the timeless

Taking price into consideration, how would you compare the Karve to the timeless

I bought the Timeless for less than retail on BST, but still a lot more than the Karve. I think the Timeless 95 is worth the extra dough. The Karve is a beautiful piece and fine value but I don't find the shave exceptional. Setting aside materials and craftsmanship which are magnificent, I Ihave a bunch of cheaper razors that shave my head as well as the Karve. Your head may vary of course.

I bought the Timeless for less than retail on BST, but still a lot more than the Karve. I think the Timeless 95 is worth the extra dough. The Karve is a beautiful piece and fine value but I don't find the shave exceptional. Setting aside materials and craftsmanship which are magnificent, I Ihave a bunch of cheaper razors that shave my head as well as the Karve. Your head may vary of course.

I was already leaning towards the timeless. Time to start saving my quarters and keeping my eye out on BST for a one

My order of purchases:
Merkur 25C
Blackland Blackbird SB
Karve (A + B Plates)
Paradigm SE titanium

I hope this helps.

You wouldn’t want to part ways with your timeless .95 SB would you?

Top Bottom