What's new

Has-been Occupations

Self service gas is still illegal here in NJ. I believe we are now the only state in the union where this is the case. I'm reminded of this every time I'm driving out of state and I stop for gas. I invariably sit in the car at the pump for a few seconds, waiting for the attendant, before I go, "oh, right..." and get out of the car! :001_tongu

IIRC, also illegal to pump your own gas in Oregon.

When i was checking it out the other day, i believe i read that in the last year the law was changed and it's no longer illegal in Oregon.

dave

Might be, I did a quick google check before posting and the link I went to said that there was a likelyhood of it changing but not that it had.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
When i was checking it out the other day, i believe i read that in the last year the law was changed and it's no longer illegal in Oregon.

dave
My first job (besides paper route) was at a full service Sunoco in 1984 or so. Self service was just coming around (we had two of those pumps). They made their money in the bays- nobody makes money on gas. Now it’s all convenience store. I know we have a few full service stations in the area. I need to find one so I can say, one more time, “fill it up and check the oil please”. If I buy a Boxster I will definitely do it, so hopefully, when I pop the bonnet and they don’t see an engine (mid engine) I can chuckle a bit.

Payphone repairmen and coin box emptiers.
When I was still working for the phone company it was a clear sign you were on the foreman's poop list if you were dispatched to repair pay phones.

Things that I've seen that I don't see anymore?

Hotel porters
Still a mainstay at most upscale properties, at times in the dual role of porter/valet

Thank...god.

ditto that, if John Wayne Gacy taught us anything is that clowns are evil

I rode a Greyhound as early as 2010
I didn't realize they had jockeys :D

Greyhound pulled out of western Canada last year. Some locations have had another bus line move in but much of the area that used to have bus service has lost it.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
My first job (besides paper route) was at a full service Sunoco in 1984 or so. Self service was just coming around (we had two of those pumps). They made their money in the bays- nobody makes money on gas. Now it’s all convenience store. I know we have a few full service stations in the area. I need to find one so I can say, one more time, “fill it up and check the oil please”. If I buy a Boxster I will definitely do it, so hopefully, when I pop the bonnet and they don’t see an engine (mid engine) I can chuckle a bit.
this made me laugh. Im a Sunoco vet from 84/85. We had full and self serve. T he boss gave us a case of beer for every 100 gallons of ultra we sold over 1000 gallons for a shift. We hit 1700 gallons that night.

as for jobs that should go away,
mechanic (most ive met are dishonest)
Car salesman

For those of you from the midwest: bean walker.

You don't need to hire people to pull weeds when you can soak everything in RoundUp.

Serving in the military.

Thinking of that, whenever I would be doing math homework in high school my Dad would tell me of his primary job as part of an artillery team in Vietnam: he was the “computer”. His primary job may was to look at charts, calculate the distance and use the wind speed and firing charts to calculate the angle the guns should fire.

He always had a great bit of encouragement for me: “If you make a mistake here, you get it marked wrong. If I made a mistake then, they would send me to Leavenworth.”

Top Bottom