What's new

The straw that broke the camel's back. Oh when shall it arrive?

Hello all. I normally try to be positive (or at least be funny in my sarcasm), but I am quickly reaching the end of my rope. I would not normally vent on-line, but the overall positivity of this forum makes me think that any comments I receive may be positive suggestions, or at least not venomous flaming. I will try my best to keep this civil, but if the benevolent Mod overlords decide that this thread needs to be removed, so be it. I shall accept the ramifications with grace.
In short, the last year has been a study in the concept of Murphy's Law. For those not familiar with this governing rule of the universe, it basically states that "Whatever can go wrong will, at the worst possible time." As a paramedic, I always viewed it as job security- until it hit home with a vengeance.
To keep it short, it started thus: Last January, my beloved fiancé had to have major surgery for a chronic medical condition. Her healing was complicated and protracted, and cynical though I am I cannot stand to see her in pain. She has since gotten better (Finally!), but the scars remain on her body and consciousness.
Then, someone very close to me died. My grandmother, if you are curious. She was an RN for many years and actually helped deliver me, and was a large part of my inspiration for getting into medicine. Most of her career was in oncology, so she knew what was coming when she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Despite that, she remained her regular positive self, mowing an acre of land with a push mower despite being 88 and going through a truly vile chemo regimen. When she finally passed, we all thought it was for the best- after all, everything that needed to be said was said, and there were no regrets. A "Good Death", befitting a woman originally from Sparta. Then I found out that she died not of the cancer, but of malpractice. I was beyond livid. "Homicidal" might be a better word. But, for the fact that she loved that hospital (she died where she worked for 40 years and volunteered for another 23), no legal action was pressed.
The day after the funeral, icy streets cost me my beloved '94 Blazer. Another driver plowed into it, cracking the radiator and slamming it into a median, which snapped the back axle. It was my first car with many fond memories attached, but it was beyond repair. Thankfully, I was unhurt. Sad though it made me to abandon ol' Dirty Gerty, I decided to finally use some of my savings and get a nice newer vehicle. I got a used 2012 Jeep Liberty, which I do love. The payments have caused me some grief, for reasons you will see later.
Next, my aunt (the aforementioned grandmother's daughter and my father's sister) was diagnosed with the same form of cancer. In her case, it was even more aggressive. Due to the relatively rare nature of the disease and it's usual preference for males, we decided to have blood testing done for genetic markers. It was revealed that my grandmother, my aunt, my father, and myself all carry an abnormal gene that has been shown to have a correlation to developing pancreatic cancer. My still-burning rage turned to stark, bowel-loosening terror. Not only is it a poor prognosis once confirmed (80% treated mortality), it is an excruciatingly painful way to die. My aunt is still alive, but we are all aware of what is coming. She has already picked out the songs she wants me to sing at her funeral.
Fast forward to December. New Years Eve, in fact. My spirits were light; get home from work, relax, have a drink, and toast the end of a terrible year. Not much can go wrong in 24 hours, right? Wrong. I walked into work at my full-time job (a private ambulance company), and had just enough time to log in here to discover that I had won my first PIF (Xillion, you have no idea how much that meant to me, given the circumstances) when I was called into my supervisor's office. For perspective, the company had three owners, two of whom were paramedics and pretty decent guys. The third, the CFO, had no experience in the field, and no conscience to boot. To describe him as "reptilian" would be an insult to my pet skink. To spare the details, after two years of faithful service (including tasks that were so far outside my job description I should have reported it to OSHA), I was fired because a nurse disliked my asking pertinent questions. I had never been fired before, and despite my cynicism I had grown to trust these guys. My mistake. I went home and decompressed with an hour-long shave. I'm surprised I didn't even nick myself. I then proceeded to carpet-bomb other employers with applications, and I got a bite two days later. A friend set me up with a rival company (in a location they bought out from under my former employers, to my relish) with a part-time job. I'm there right now.
I'm now barely holding on, by fingernails and sheer cussedness. I like the company I work for now, but they can only give me part-time hours at a location 60 miles from home. I spend 48 hours straight there, but only get paid for 20. Such is the nature of on-call pay. While I am grateful for helping me in my time of need, the fact is that I cannot survive on this. Thankfully I had a fair amount of savings when I got fired, but monthly expenses as well as recertification fees are quickly dwindling it to a pittance. I figure I can last another month before I start going hungry or having my lights turned off. I have some other applications in the wind, and though it hurts me to leave a company who saved me in my time of need, I have to eat.
On top of that, my other job (paramedic with a small rural fire department) got its hours halved by order of the city council. I have that job mainly for resume-building and fun, but the paychecks definitely helped. Now, not so much. I'm sticking with them, since loyalty means a great deal to me, but it's sure getting tight. As an unforeseen side effect, this shut my various AD's down BUT GOOD. Cold comfort, but every cloud has a silver lining, right?
To anyone who has taken the time to read this novel of lamentations, thank you. This place has provided a welcome oasis of cheer and civility in my despair, and for that I am forever grateful. I have thought long about the first thing I want to do when my finances get better; a new razor, a new tattoo? Now I know. Expect a donation from a grateful soul. I was lost in the wilderness, but a rodent and a razor has led me back to the light. Thank you. Thank you all.

Last edited:
Hang in there. I have been in a similar situation. Who or whatever your Higher Power is has something magnificent in store for you!!

The darkness always comes before the light. My only advice is to find something to keep you sane and grounded (shaving/fitness/hobby/reading or whatever you prefer) and drive on.

Your loyalty to employers who have helped you out is admirable. But I wouldn't feel bad about moving on to a job that is a better fit to improve your financial stability. It's not like you're job hopping just for the fun of it, as I'm sure you would stay with the company you're with if it was a full-time job. Is there any other part-time work you could pick up, even if it's not in your primary field (e.g., retail, food service, or manual labor)?

One book I always recommend to someone looking for a job is 48 Days to the Work You Love. If you haven't read it PM me and I'll send you a copy.

+1 on the advice to hang in there. Sorry for all that adversity. Probably seems as if when it rains it pours.

There is no destination. Just the trip. Perhaps the next way station will hold something wonderful in store for you.

I've got to believe that somewhere, some organization is waiting for someone with your skills to walk into the door and for a 40-hour+ week. Loyalty is a wonderful trait, but it need not go so far as to remove the roof over your head or the food on your table.

Regarding your gene, I had to go back to re-read your story in order remind myself that your grandma made it to 88. You should remind yourself of that, too. There's a lot of life between here and 88. I think that our life spans are all ticking timebombs with fuses of indeterminate length. You never know when the body might betray you or you might step off the proverbial curb just in time to be hit by a bus. So, try living each day the way your grandma seems to have lived hers.

Here is wishing you and your fiancé better times right around the corner. You deserve that as much as anyone on the planet.

Your loyalty to employers who have helped you out is admirable. But I wouldn't feel bad about moving on to a job that is a better fit to improve your financial stability. It's not like you're job hopping just for the fun of it, as I'm sure you would stay with the company you're with if it was a full-time job. Is there any other part-time work you could pick up, even if it's not in your primary field (e.g., retail, food service, or manual labor)?

One book I always recommend to someone looking for a job is 48 Days to the Work You Love. If you haven't read it PM me and I'll send you a copy.
You know, it's funny you should mention that. When I first realized my current position was not sustainable, I considered several options. I do my best to never burn bridges, and I know there is always a place for me at the lumberyard I worked at for 3 years. I even considered picking up some extra scratch as a stripper, like I did in college. I sent an application to the lumberyard, but my fiancé gave me an in with the lab where she has her blood drawn every month. I guess they are in dire need of phlebotomists, and lord knows I have ample experience with venipuncture. Thankfully, Iowa allows employers to hire paramedics and nurses as phlebotomists, so I applied for the three positions they have open. My local fire department (a large fully-paid department with killer benefits, the job I've been working for since I got my license) will start their hiring process in a week or so. It's a long process though, so I need something to last me in the meantime. I even put in an application with the hospital where my grandmother died. My father also worked there, so there is a bit of a family legacy there. It wasn't really their fault, after all; it was a resident. It was always my "happy place" when I was doing my internship. What does it say about a person when they are happiest and most at peace when eyeball-deep in gore? Heh. I'm hoping that something will come through soon. If the laws of karma work in my favor, something will come through.

Last edited:
Your loyalty to employers who have helped you out is admirable. But I wouldn't feel bad about moving on to a job that is a better fit to improve your financial stability. It's not like you're job hopping just for the fun of it, as I'm sure you would stay with the company you're with if it was a full-time job....

I agree. You need to take care of your own needs first.

You are strong with a great sense of humor. This will serve you well, always.

Heh. Thanks, Tony. I always get a kick out of you. As far as the sense of humor is concerned, it's a job requirement. One of my instructors gave me this advice in school: "You will see terrible things in this line of work. You can throw up, you can scream, you can drink yourself into oblivion. Or you can laugh."

Heh. Thanks, Tony. I always get a kick out of you. As far as the sense of humor is concerned, it's a job requirement. One of my instructors gave me this advice in school: "You will see terrible things in this line of work. You can throw up, you can scream, you can drink yourself into oblivion. Or you can laugh."

Works for me. :laugh:

You've had quite a run, very sorry to hear that. I haven't been on here long, but I've seen some tough times come and go. The tough times build character. I've got my share of character and then some, but the world seems to periodically think I'm character deficient. I'll never understand why, but I always come out of it better for the experience.

A hidden blessing in all of this is your fiancé. Some men will never be blessed with a woman that stands by them in the bad times. You've got yourself a good one. You two have a long and happy life ahead of you when you get out of this hole.

My very best wishes and prayers to you and yours. As a fellow healer (family medicine with a CAM interest), I have some idea of the rigors of medicine and the trauma you face every day. I thank you for your service, and wish you the very best.

The best advice I ever received when I was jobless and looking for one (fresh out of residency and hitting numerous walls that I had never even imagined) was from Dr. Robert Anderson, a veteran of the holistic medicine field. He said to "put my intention out there as to what I needed, and then to see what came back." For some reason, that has served me better than any other job-finding advice for a long, long time . . .

OP, from one Paramedic to another, you have my wholehearted sympathy.

You really deserve a run of good luck. I can't offer anything much more productive, but as a shift worker, you know it's always darkest before the dawn and all that jazz. Keep your chin up.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. When times are tough, my mom always says, "Better days ahead!" and although I may not always want to agree with her, she's right! I've had a real tough run financially about 10 years ago....I'm talking Cheerios for supper. One thing I learned through all that is that tears and money are like water and oil. Nose to the grindstone...roll up sleeves and, as one person once told me, you need to be a kangaroo. I didn't understand the comment. He explained that kangaroos cannot jump backwards. Move forward and don't let anything get in your way. I'm not saying that I'm independently wealthy but I am back on track....you will get back on track...sooner than you think...Hang in there!

All conditions are temporary, This Too Shall Pass.

When you get time, sit down and draft a list of all things for which you are grateful (regardless of how small or insignificant you think they are), and then pray (or think about) those who have it worse than you.

Top Bottom