What's new

Has-been Occupations

Hmm. What jobs can you name that have disappeared, or nearly so?

I think in something like 47 or 48 states "pump jockeys" or folks who pump fuel at service stations are few. Soda jerks are pretty scarce. Typists are kind of rare, probably. Haven't seen a TV repair guy in a while. Not many milk delivery drivers left.

What can you add to the list?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Fletcher
Cooper
Wheelwright
Pools collector
Milkman
Coalman
Chimney sweep
Toll collector
Bargee
Electric/gas coin meter emptiers
Bus conductor
Traditional signwriter
Miner (in UK)
Steam engine driver and fireman

Travel agents seem to be on the way out.
Farmers. The industry is consolidated. Very few farmers produce far more food with modern methods and technology.
Postage. Slowly but surely everything except packages/items is going digital, and automation can take over a lot of it.

Hmm. What jobs can you name that have disappeared, or nearly so?

I think in something like 47 or 48 states "pump jockeys" or folks who pump fuel at service stations are few. Soda jerks are pretty scarce. Typists are kind of rare, probably. Haven't seen a TV repair guy in a while. Not many milk delivery drivers left.

What can you add to the list?

Repair services in general. They still exist, but many products are no longer worth the price of fixing them or designed to be non-repairable. For TVs I'd guess it's a combo of being relatively inexpensive to replace and much smaller and lighter; if you really wanted to repair one you could find a place that does it and bring it there. Older TVs were much more of a chore to move.

Unless it's changed in the last year it's illegal to pump your own gas in New Jersey. Last article i happened on was dated last January.

Pharmacy delivery is rampant here, found current ads looking for drivers for the largest chain in the country and see many of the little guys offering the service.
dave

Knive and scissors sharpeners driving around neighborhood.
Good humor man.
Clowns
Fish salesman pulling wagon
Good handicappers (you know, the kind that break legs)
Greyhounds
Kids collecting soda bottles for deposit
Sandlot sports
barbers

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Things that I've seen that I don't see anymore?

Elevator operators (they operated the lever on the wall of the elevator)
Hotel porters
Switchboard operators

Accountants are still around for anyone with any money to speak of.

Retail clerks seem to have disappeared. Most any "menial" job is rare.

Top Bottom