What's new

Hard Rubber (pistol grip) Scales?

I've always really liked the look of the checkered, hard rubber grips they often used on turn-of-the-century automatic pistols. Something like this:

proxy.php

Is hard rubber an appropriate scale material and would such a texture be easy to replicate? Is there another material that would be more suited to the purpose? I'm thinking of having my Grelot rescaled at some point and am trying to figure out if this would be a realistic option. What do you guys think?

Maybe as an overlay on a hardwood or stainless sheet, but not all by itself. Too soft for setting the pins I would think. The pattern can be replicated using a gunstock texturing file.

Jim

Maybe as an overlay on a hardwood or stainless sheet, but not all by itself. Too soft for setting the pins I would think. The pattern can be replicated using a gunstock texturing file.

I think it would look fantastic over a stainless backing. The only thing I would worry about in that case is the added weight and its effect on the balance. How thick would the sheet have to be?

I think this design wood look great in cocobolo.

That's not a bad idea! A lot of pistol grips had this pattern carved in walnut, and those look fantastic. Maybe a nice, dark hardwood is the way to go.

hey...now theres something that would work in the shower with your straight if you ever wanted to experiment...:001_unsur

Of course! And maybe with a blindfold, just to make it extra exciting? :tongue_sm

Last edited:
I guess I should also ask whether you guys can recommend craftsmen who could do this kind of work. I don't spend a lot of time in this forum, so I'm not very familiar with the big names in the world of straight razor restoration (though from what I've seen in the pictorial threads, there's a surfeit of talent around here). It'll be a while before I have the funds to make it a reality, but it would be great to have some contacts for future reference.

I've always really liked the look of the checkered, hard rubber grips they often used on turn-of-the-century automatic pistols. Something like this:

proxy.php
That looks like a Colt 1903, which has been on my want list for quite awhile. Is it yours?
And I like the idea of hard rubber, checkered grips over SS. It would probably be a no brainer for some of the talented guys around here.

...Ray

Mycarver, surprisingly enough, does wood carving. Not sure if this would be up his alley, and it seems like I read he has a huge backlog.

There's probably someone here that works with guns that would be able to check the scales for you.

I was thinking of doing the same thing. I want to get a custom razor built that has a 1911 them, and use the grips as the scales.

It would be easy to do using a checkering file, but the files are about $40 and I don't own one.......yet

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
You could make a mold out of silicone rubber caulking from checkered grips. Then pour polyester or epoxy or vinylester resin in the mold, and shape it after you pop it out, leaving the checkered texture intact except for a smooth edge boundary and chamfer. PAM spray makes a dandy mold release compound. Spray it on and wipe it down with an old tshirt.

That looks like a Colt 1903, which has been on my want list for quite awhile. Is it yours?
And I like the idea of hard rubber, checkered grips over SS. It would probably be a no brainer for some of the talented guys around here.

...Ray

Here's mine.
Was grandpa's. Serial number indicates 1917 manufacture.
Mom gave it to me last February... luckily I have an 03 so I could bring it home from Texas.

As for the shower shaving, I do it every night in the warmer months.
When it's cooler, I like the warm lather from the scuttle, but summer with the AC running, my lather dries too fast.
I've never once dropped a straight... don't see an issue with shaving in the shower.

Attachments

• $grip.jpg
    $grip.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 100
  • $right.jpg
    $right.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 98
Checkering files are for working metal, wood checkering is done typically with a two or three line cutter. I have a checkering file, and I have been experimenting with this work for a while because I build (customize) my own rifles.

The scales should be completely shaped and ready for the finish of your choice when the checkering is to be done. As for the actual material "hard rubber" it doesn't like water much, but many plastic type materials will work. You could make your own from casein (milk and vinegar) and it carves nicely, very much like ivory.

I have a knife I'm working on that I am going to do 1911 style grips and checkering on, maybe I should move that up in the queue.

-Xander

Here's mine.
Was grandpa's. Serial number indicates 1917 manufacture.
Mom gave it to me last February... luckily I have an 03 so I could bring it home from Texas.

As for the shower shaving, I do it every night in the warmer months.
When it's cooler, I like the warm lather from the scuttle, but summer with the AC running, my lather dries too fast.
I've never once dropped a straight... don't see an issue with shaving in the shower.
From your grandad? Outstanding! I drool at coltautos.com all the time. A .32 1903 will be mine someday...
I can see a set of checkered scales with the COLT worked into them. Probably be hard to include the Rampant Colt on anything less than 8/8.

...Ray

Hard rubber at one time was used for scales on razors, although most of them likely have since deteriorated into an unusable state. I have not seen any that were textured like that, though.

Wow, you guys really went to town on this thread while I was away. Thanks for all the good feedback! The more I think about it, the more I like the idea. Hopefully I can scrape together enough money by the end of next month to bring it to fruition (and find someone who's willing to take on the assignment).

Sadly, it's not my 1903, but I think it's one of the most elegant firearms ever manufactured and I'd love to own one someday (hopefully half as nice as the one that belonged to Rich's grandfather). In the meantime, my TI will have to serve as a stopgap.

The scales should be completely shaped and ready for the finish of your choice when the checkering is to be done. As for the actual material "hard rubber" it doesn't like water much, but many plastic type materials will work. You could make your own from casein (milk and vinegar) and it carves nicely, very much like ivory.

I have a knife I'm working on that I am going to do 1911 style grips and checkering on, maybe I should move that up in the queue.

This is why it pays to ask the experts. I automatically assumed that it had all the same hydrophobic qualities of normal rubber, so I'm glad to know that it's not necessarily the best choice in this application. Do you happen to know if there's any particular plastic compound that approximates the appearance of hard rubber (at least in the sense that it has a sort of muted, matte appearance)? I don't know whether you take commissions, but if you have good luck with the checkering on the knife grip, please let me know if you would consider this project.

Top Bottom