What's new

Hang's Harangues

1623416382993.png

Gillette Minora Platinum Blade - St. Petersburg, Russia

Brass Karve Razor, OC C Plate
Wholly Kaw Fougère Mania Soap
Ace Silvertip Badger Brush
WSP Tobacco After Shave

Excellent blade. My steady routine of 36 hours between shaves was interrupted. 48 hours is very different. I did my new routine of WTG, WTG touch up, ATG, ATG touch up. Things went so well that I pushed the last touch up beyond reasonable. Still, no significant damage (maybe a couple of momentary red dots). I can't quite claim BBS I don't think, but probably as close to it as I've ever gotten.

Yet another brand that Gillette swallowed up and sent to PPI in St. Petersburg. This one, I'm told was formerly manufactured in South Africa. If I wasn't so prejudiced against P&G, this would be a strong favourite. I can't help but wonder if the only difference between this and most other PPI blades is the label alone. Oh well. Go South Africa.

1623417338616.png

1623594223101.png

Gillette Minora Platinum Blade (2)
WSP Tobacco After Shave

Very smooth, very comfortable. But less close than last time. A couple of ATG misses of short stubble at the typical upper lip hidden spots. That will annoy me all day.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
While sorry that the stragglers will send you to the chasm of perpetual insanity, I’m heartened to read the issue is one hairs escaping execution and not skin that took their place.

1623769697166.png

Gillette Minora Platinum Blade (3)
Fine Platinum After Shave

Very close and smooth shave. A high-end DFS. Beguiled by the comfort, I overdid the ATG touch-up somewhat and drew a little blood (fairly and temporary minor though).

1623938967314.png

Gillette Minora Platinum Blade (4)
WSP Tobacco After Shave

There are weepers and there are weepers. Almost all of mine (when I get any) appear quick and cute and look after themselves immediately and the cold water rinse makes sure they are closed up good and there is no evidence at all left by the time the AS goes on. Others surface slowly, and grow and seep and persist beyond the rinse. They are the ones than need the stick and leave evidence to the eye for the rest of the day.

I got three of the latter this morning in odd spots. This was a result of haste, angle sloppiness and a very smooth-feeling, comfortable blade that invited high-velocity strokes.

I slept in and almost opted to break the emergency glass and grab the Philips triple-rotaries. Something had to be done - today is a meeting with my new boss (female). Instead of the Philips, I bended to pride and raced through a proper shave and have two tiny visible scabs to accompany an otherwise acceptable shave.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
If there’s no comment on the wound or bloodstained collar, your only recourse is waiting until allergies clog your sinuses so that blowing your nose sounds like Mozart’s Queen of the Night aria from Die Zauberflöte.

1624112341872.png

Gillette Minora Platinum Blade (5)
WSP Tobacco After Shave

The goal was to go at a leisurely Saturday pace, allow extensive ATG action and draw no blood. Mission accomplished. Mostly solid DFS.

1624277505646.png

Gillette Minora Platinum Blade (6)
Squadron Dutch Resistance Soap
Henri et Victoria Absinthe After Shave Balm

A satisfying, smooth, nearly DFS shave. Too distracted by the novelty of the licorice soap fun (thanks @Raven Koenes!) to focus on technique. Still, no damage and the mirror says good enough.

I love the soap as I thought I would. I would have loved it even if it didn't lather so excellently well (which it did). My daughter was thoughtful and clever enough to ask the vendor what AS would compliment it properly and so procured the "absinthe" balm. It smells nearly as great as the soap and I think a perfect match. I generally prefer alcohol splashes to balms, but the scent match is too fun to pass up. This AS comes out of a pump and is not slimy in the way I found Nivea products to be.

Last edited:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
View attachment 1284887
Gillette Minora Platinum Blade (6)

A satisfying, smooth, nearly DFS shave. Too distracted by the novelty of the licorice soap fun (thanks @Raven Koenes!) to focus on technique. Still, no damage and the mirror says good enough.

I love the soap as I thought I would. I would have loved it even if it didn't lather so excellently well (which it did). My daughter was thoughtful and clever enough to ask the vendor what AS would compliment it properly and so procured the "absinthe" balm. It smells nearly as great as the soap and I think a perfect match. I generally prefer alcohol splashes to balms, but the sceent match is too fun to pass up. This AS comes out of a pump and is not slimy in the way I found Nivea products to be.
What is this Henri et Victoria Absinthe After Shave Balm of which you speak? :drool:

I started reading this thread because it came up thanks to some timely entries made today. I started reading--having not looked at the original post date--and read some more, then some more . . .

Man, I thought, this guy is going to give up or go back to his disposables!

Read a little more. Advice was tricking in, good advice, and you were taking your time. I'm not the type to read ahead in a story to see how the conflict is resolved but I couldn't help but scroll down a bit to see if you continued or gave up . . . and then I saw the date; it was back in January.

And then I saw the number of pages . . . 15 pages! He must have figured it out, I say to myself. I click ahead and see the first post you made . . .
"Brass Karve Razor, OC C Plate
WSP Tobacco After Shave"

Yeah, he's doing juuuuuuuuuust fine.

Glad you stuck with it :clap:

1624449333129.png

Gillette Minora Platinum Blade (7)

Extensive ATG re-working produced a marginal DFS this time. The Minora Platinum has been one of the best blades, but this morning it gave me a bit of a hard time above the upper lip. I've decided to quit while I'm ahead. Next up will be the "stainless" version of the Minora.

What is this Henri et Victoria Absinthe After Shave Balm of which you speak?
I looked at the website this morning. H&V (Quebec) have some unique scent profiles. As far as "absinthe" goes, I see they offer a soap and a splash as well. My wife and I agree that the scent is great. I'm going to order the splash one of these days.

1624594269102.png

Gillette Minora Stainless Blade - St. Petersburg, Russia

In the past, when comparing sister blades, platinum vs stainless, I seemed to prefer the stainless. So far that's not the case with the Minoras. This stainless Minora was a little less comfortable, a little more skin-chewing and a little less close than the platinum blade of the past few shaves. I'll give it another chance.

The soap though. I ordered this stuff because of the allure of the novelty smell. It's at least as delicious as I was hoping. What I did not expect was such superior performance. I went super-extra wet tonight and the lather was all the better. Thick, dense, wet, wonderful. I am not a well-traveled soap sampler yet, but I've tried a few. I've not met a better latherer than this Australian Squadron. Stearic acid, Aqua, Coconut oil, tallow, potassium hydroxide, vegetable glycerine, lanolin, fragrance.

Top Bottom