What's new

Hang's Harangues

1624764787024.png

Gillette Minora Stainless Blade (2)
Brass Karve Razor, OC C Plate
Squadron Dutch Resistance Soap
Ace Silvertip Badger Brush
Henri et Victoria Absinthe After Shave Balm

The Stainless Minora was again less comfortable than the Platinum. I got a better result this time though.

1624889622747.png

Gillette Permasharp Stainless Blade - St. Petersburg, Russia

This is the 10th (I think) and perhaps last of the varieties of St. Petersburg Gillette blades that I have to sample. This one performed very well. One of the better and closer shaves I've ever had, as well as comfortable. A solid DFS. A couple of 'stache weepers were minor and due perhaps to angle carelessness.

As usual, I couldn't find any direct information about the history of a blade devoured by Gillette. B&B is often the best indirect source. I read here that Permasharp was an American company with plants in the US, Israel, Scotland and Turkey that went broke in the 70's. It is amazing how much goodwill Gillette has gobbled up from various manufacturers and carries on marketing to this day.

1625574271884.png

Gillette Perma-sharp Super Stainless (5)

A good shave, but not as close as last time and no explanation why. The AS is enjoyable but subtle. This morning the residual soapy smell on my hands from the shower ruined the scent experience. 😠

1625925284302.png

Gillette Perma-sharp Super Stainless (7)
WSP Tobacco After Shave

Today is Daughter #2's wedding day with all the close contact and photography that entails so I took the combination of favourites but did not have the nerve to begin a new blade, thinking I'd play it safe with the latest one which has been performing well. I wish I had grabbed a fresh Polsilver or Indian Wilkie or Voskhod or 7:00 Yellow or Feather instead. I could feel that things were no longer ideal with this blade. Still, I was able to quit while ahead and get a solid CCS with only minimal damage. It will do.

Fittingly, on her last morning at home, my daughter (the bride) managed to limit my shower hot water. I'm looking forward to a fantastic celebration.

1626102021043.png

Wizamet Iridium Stainless Blade (1)
Fine Platinum After Shave

Still recovering from the festivities and now celebrating the first day of office life without masks, which has arrived at last in Saskatchewan. The Wizamet is great. A flawless, higher end DFS.

1626280492889.png

Wizamet Iridium Stainless Blade (2)

Another legit DFS, and with unusually good comfort - even against the 'stache grain. The invitation to go over and over, against the grain, in spots where I could still detect that microscopic stubble was not resistible. As usual, it did not take me over the legendary BBS top. The extra attention did not result in any irritation.

1626621020096.png

Wizamet Iridium Stainless Blade (4)
Henri et Victoria Bay Rum After Shave Balm

Good, standard DFS. Once again I did a ton of touch up strokes as the comfortable Wizamet was giving me permission. As usual, it didn't take me over the top. Afterwards, I tore open a sample pack and enjoyed the Bay Rum balm. It's pretty big as sample packs go. I used 5 times too much and still have half the pack left. Nice scent, but maybe borders on the perfume-y.

1626790779578.png

Wizamet Iridium Stainless Blade (5)
Henri et Victoria Bay Rum After Shave Balm

Shave felt great on the first pass and then slightly less than great against the grain. The blade is slightly past its prime.

The soap is fantastic. Today, after swirling, I dripped a bit more water on the brush before applying. The lather busted out effortlessly, wet and thick. This Squadron soap is the best I've tried for ease of lather, quality of lather, quantity of lather and residual slickness.

I used up the rest of the Bay Rum sample pack - way too much again in order to use it up. My face is still slimy hours later as a result.

1627182071138.png

Personna Med Prep stainless steel blade "For use in Hospitals" - Verona, Virginia, USA

Over 100 hours since my last shave, the Med Prep had a big challenge in making a good first impression. Tuggy. I did a lot of WTG work, and got it down to proper short stubble. ATG, I got a fairly good result (marginal DFS), but the pass was not terribly comfortable and downright unkind in a couple of spots. I don't know that I want any more hospital shaves.

Top Bottom