camping mode

0531-slob.jpg

1621737433221.png

Feather Hi-Stainless Blade (6)
Brass Karve Razor, OC C Plate
Stirling Almond Cream Soap
Semogue 2010 Pure Badger Brush
Aqua Velva After Shave

Back from bush living a little early, I got my first shave in 5 days (not to mention my first shower, as my nose can attest). I've never mowed that length of lawn with a DE razor before. The used Feather worked well, but I had to double each stroke on the initial WTG pass to make it count. Even then, after rinsing, I saw that I needed a second WTG pass. I came away after four passes with mostly a decent borderline DFS. I'm not used to seeing so much stubble in the sink!

1622209559387.png

Feather Hi-Stainless Blade (1)
Ace Silvertip Badger Brush
Fine Platinum After Shave

Brand new Feather and light touch with no post-ATG touch-up = blood-free but stingy-AS shave that is a bit below the DFS standard. I'm satisfied with that this morning.

1622346923849.png

Feather Hi-Stainless Blade (2)
WSP Tobacco After Shave

Tonight I went super wet with the face lathering. Dripping from the brush wet. I can't say it went better or worse. 3 passes with no touch-up. A couple of 'stache zone weepers that healed easily. I'm calling this a DFS. Felt a bit dangerous, as the Feather generally does.

1622470428644.png

Feather Hi-Stainless Blade (3)
Fine Platinum After Shave

Overly wet lather again. WTG pass went beautifully; XG pass made my skin notice; and ATG got me a couple 'stache weepers. Pretty standard. I ventured on further touch-up and was rewarded in places with a shave teetering on BBS (but not quite there).

Yesterday was party day (my birthday). Here is a photo from the revelries of me with my granddaughter. (I'm the one in the hat.)
May 30, 2021.jpg

XCV.png

Feather Hi-Stainless Blade (5)
WSP Tobacco After Shave

In a rush this morning, I decided to try a time-saving experiment of a two-pass shave, WTG & ATG, skipping the XG step altogether with no final touch up pass. I ended up with a very good result and ATG seemed no more challenging for skipping XG. I did take a little more care with the first pass. I may try this again and add touch-up to see.

1622861633875.png

Feather Hi-Stainless Blade (6)
Wholly Kaw Fougère Mania Soap
Mennen Skin Bracer After Shave

A most weird experience. I lathered up with WK for the first time after several shaves with Stirling. I might have gone a bit too wet. It was disconcertingly bad, even the first pass. Rough and glideless. I thought either the blade had gone very suddenly very worse or else the WK wet was WAY worse than the Stirling wet. Neither seemed likely. I did a second WTG pass before daring to go ATG. It was brutal, tuggy, jagged, skippy, threatening. So puzzled ... until I noticed ...

[Are you like me and loosen the handle at the end of your shave a bit to allow for successful droplet shaking and evaporation from the razor?] Yes ... I finally noticed, just as I was ready to give up early in an ATG pass, that I never tightened the handle. I was shaving with a loose clamped blade. Well that was an experiment I never meant to try, but I've done it for the rest of you and for science. Conclusion: no bueno! I battened down the hatch and was able to finish the pass in relieved comfort. Still too traumatized to do any further touch-up though.

In summary, d'uh!

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Please don’t mail yourself. There are many curiosities I can leave unexamined. Here’s hoping your healing is quick.

1622983282217.png

Durablade 7 a.m. Plus Hi Platinum Blade - Dhaka, Bangladesh

WSP Tobacco After Shave

New, untried blade. I did my new style of 3 pass shave. 1.5 WTG, 1.5 ATG. The new Durablade was noticeably duller than the used Feather. I have to call the result a CCS, maybe CCS+. No damage at all, no discomfort ATG."

This is my first Bangladesh shaving experience. I gather every Bangladesh shaving experience is a Samah Razor Blades experience. The large number of brands and names, some attributed to Samah, others less directly (the Durablade ones, with their own site) reminds me of the Lord marketing strategy. Durablade itself features a bunch of different marks, "Sharp" being perhaps the most prominent. The 7a.m. doesn't appear at all on the Durablade site. Perhaps they have discontinued that one? Could it be because the obvious, blatant rip-off of the Gillette 7:00 was not endurable?

Ripping off Gillette isn't enough for Samah/Durablade. They want to borrow the goodwill of all of Switzerland to boot. "Swiss Quality", "Technical collaboration from Switzerland" "Swiss Guarantee" all figure on the one tiny blade wrapper, together with tiny Swiss crosses. The Durablade site hides any association with Bangladesh, but trumpets an office in Lugano.

Director and Partner Saleem Sattar's web message also splashes Switzerland all over the place. Have a little national pride in Bangladesh, Saleem. And what is this "technical collaboration" anyway? Are they getting help from watch makers? If I'm supposed to imagine Swiss Army Knife "quality", that's not going to make me more enthusiastic.

One of Durablade's sister blades (Champion) came in VERY handy to this chap (who first got an amazingly close shave from it) in defeating a bunch of rough hoodlums. Our hero's motorcycle gal REALLY likes his shave.

1623118110387.png

Rockwell Stainless Steel Blade - Somewhere in China

Mennen Skin Bracer After Shave

A pretty good result in terms of closeness (upper DFS) achieved from going pretty aggressive and repetitively on the ATG stage. Too many weepers though to make the shave brag-worthy.

As for the blade, it has a caution about how sharp DE blades are on the wrapper. It should go on to say, "and if that's not dangerous enough, this blade is pretty tuggy to boot!" I don't mind tuggy all the time, if tuggy isn't coupled with blood. This blade wasn't terrible, but it certainly isn't among the elite blades.

Last time, we were abusing Switzerland. This time it is Sweden. "Swedish steel" is trumpeted on the label. I don't know what's so great about Swedish steel, but you are NOT allowed to find out (or at least I could not find out) where in China the blade is made. It's hard enough to discover it's made in China. It's made at Rockwell's "dedicated" facility we are told. I think that just means they outsource the blades completely to an unknown contractor in China and talk about Sweden. This is the kind of blade that I should give a chance to, but my mild annoyance with the manufacturing mystery coupled with the tugginess and blood has made me lose interest already.

I'm not criticizing Rockwell itself - as I gather they are mainly about their razors. I've never tried one. It seems as though they are pretty popular.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Very sorry about the weepers.

I don't know what's so great about Swedish steel

Iron ore from Sweden has very few inclusions/contaminants which has made Swedish steel world famous for over a century. Japanese kitchen and woodworking tools made from Swedish carbon steel are a fetish among some (not me, though, I’m nutso over Swedish stainless strip steels like 13C26, AEB-L, 12C27M, etc).

1623239584409.png

Concord Platinum Blade - Istanbul, Turkey

Platinum Fine After Shave

This shave started out very promising. The WTG pass felt unusually smooth. Then, mysteriously, ATG went rather uncomfortably. And despite a thorough effort, the result is something a bit less than a DFS. My wife describes the aftershave as "piney".

Azmusebat (makers of Derby) seems to prefer you not notice they make the Concord. Their site shows only a photo of boxes of Concords (along with "Lion" blades) in a hidden corner of their site google-translated as "private label". No further direct information at all, except a photo I found of one box claims a confusion of coatings "Platinum Chromium Ceramic Tungsten & Polymer coated edges". Is that supposed to impress me?

If you are interested in trying out a Concord, be careful to get the real deal. Do not get confused and load your razor with this:

1623241451569.png
Remember, you want tungsten, not titanium.

Last edited:
Top Bottom