What's new

Haggises's entry to the straight side.

I gave up on the straights for a bit, concentrating instead on the CJB.
I did an experiment a little while ago and again today.
Left side - Blue Tip SuperSpeed, Feather blade
Right side - CJB and Feather pro

The first shave when both blades were fresher was a win for the DE, but just. I definitely shave faster with a DE but get almost as close with the CJB.

A few more shaves on each later. Probably 5 plus shaves on each blade....
Today the CJB edges out the DE. Maybe it was also the stellar MW soap but I got one of my best shaves of the year - on both sides.
A couple of weepers in the usual places, but on the DE side. The main advantage of the DE was that I could do a little ATG on the upper lip with the DE for about the first time, but other than that, ever so slightly closer on the CJB side.

Ordered Feather AC SS. Couldn't ignore the crazy price, even if 60 bucks is still more than I spent on any single shaving item (including the 23 other razors)

Congrats on the new razor! That is a great price for a superior whisker whacker!!

But mind what you call it . . . .

To avoid causing confusion I'm going to call it George and I will hug it and squeeze it....

(truth be told, when the phrase "cause confusion" is heard, my mind immediately goes to https://youtu.be/_f_p0CgPeyA, but calling a razor Bruce doesn't sound right)

I've been using the Feather AC SS almost exclusively since Christmas.
I'm loving the feather Super Pro blade. I think it helps with the SS bulbousness...bulbosity...that weird "skin-stretching" ridge. The blade doesn't hide behind it.
The weight and fit and finish is much superior to the CJB, though the shaves are, lets be honest, pretty much the same.

This Super Pro has gone about 10 shaves so far. This morning, I thought it had given up as it was definitely tugging on 4 days growth on the cheeks. Many blades do this to me, especially fresh SE blades.
Today though, a mini-epiphany. Because I was both lazy and didn't have time to go change a blade and dispose of the old one, I vowed to plugh through. I moved to the neck instead and did my usuall semi-WTG, semi-XTG stroke and there was no tugging at all. Moved back to cheek to full on XTG against that 4 day stubble and the hairs melted away.

WTG ain't the best option for me. Who knew?

If I ever run out of the Pros, I will try the Supers next. A little extra exposure would sure help. Though I can't really complain about the shave results.

Glad you're enjoying your Feather. I think they're great razors.

I put the Super Pro next to the Pro and thought there's no difference.
Then I put the Super Pro in the razor and thought Cripes is seated properly, that's a whole lotta blade.

I think I spent most of January with the SS. I like it a lot.
Spent half of February with a PAL injector/Personna 74. It's good, but it's no Feather. Same with an Super Adjustable with a Feather blade. It's good but it's only slightly feather. But instead of going to a Feather....

Today i I had a little time so I dug out the nearest straight (G&F Adoration) and since I was lazy and they were at hand a Swaty and a small translucent Arkansas which has barely seen the light of day since I got it.
Few swipes on Swaty with lather. Many swipes on Ark with lather, strop and is getting HHT 3 in places. Maybe it's working I thought, some more time on Ark, strop and now I'm getting HHT 3 all along the blade.
The quick shave I had was nothing special, but it was fairly smooth and tugged a lot less than the last shave I had on the Personna 74. Maybe, just maybe, if I spent some time on practice I'd get somewhere. It's a crazy idea but it might just work....

Practice? We talking about practice?

My attitude is the same as Iverson's, but without the innate skills.

First kamisori shave today.

Henkotsu
MW Bergamot Cedarwood Juniper
Shavemac Finest

Bigger learning curve than a Feather AC.
I'll get my left side done correctly if it kills me. Needed a finish with a Single Ring with Feather blade.

Overall I love the weight, see no need to wrap the handle. Definitely came shave ready. Not sure if it finished that way.

View attachment 678645

I put the kamisori aside for SEptember. While someone was away I smuggled in a coticule (I think a natural, though the yellow is very thin)
I meant to lap it this past week.
I also meant to check the lapping on the big hard black ark. And replace the simple green on the lily-white.
And try to hone razors on them.
Oh well, maybe next time.

Good luck on the honing journey. So far I've managed to make one straight shave ready, and about 5 others into letter openers. :lol:

Good luck on the honing journey. So far I've managed to make one straight shave ready, and about 5 others into letter openers. [emoji38]
If I can ever find it again, I'm sure I can probably make my once 5/8 frame back from Whipped Dog into a 3/8 letter opener. If I recall, I'm already halfway there :)

If I can ever find it again, I'm sure I can probably make my once 5/8 frame back from Whipped Dog into a 3/8 letter opener. If I recall, I'm already halfway there :)

OoF - I am actually waiting shipment on two French framebacks. Let's hope that doesn't happen to mine. Good luck with the new stone!

bumping this for myself.
Straights have been slowly rusting away since I bought the kami. And a few stones like a hard black ark, a coticule and a set of welsh stones. One of these days....

Needed somewhere to log head shaves.
Old Type - too aggressive.
Fatboy - aggressive on 9 (where I thought it was 5) but difficult to get angle just right
Schick C2 - just wrong for the head. Razor is too samll and back of head was near impossible to get a good consistent angle. May try PAL adjustable but fear similar.
ER 1912 - much better.
G-bar - even better than 1912.

Need to improve lathering - by the time I finish one half, the other half has gone near dry. Derby Lemon - will try a better cream once it's done.

Derby Lemon done.
PAL adjustable injector - much better than the C2, more natural. Did manage to nick self for first time, at least something that wasn't previously a raised spot or bump.
After 3 shaves though, the Chick blade is kaput.
Next up - toying with shavette. Not ready for the Feather AC just yet, but soon.

KMF cool mint - not bad at all, but need to use more product.
Captains choice sandalwood cream - slick but too cloggy.

Next up, finish off TOBS Aloe cream sample.

Last couple of shaves with an ER 1924. Think it's a little aggressive. A small bump on the noggin survived the other razors but was obliterated by the 1924. Still, one pass ATG and it's pretty much BBS.
Switched to Haslinger Sandalwood. Have to keep working on the lather because it dries out too quickly. Not a fan so far.

Tried a Gold fat handled Tech that I hadn't used before now, and have no recollection of buying.
Gillette Platinum plus blade, KMF cream and a Vie Long horsey.

Smooth yes. Mild, yes. Also ridiculously inefficient. Where the 1924 gets BBS in paces in one ATG pass, the Tech needs 2-3 passes and it's still cutting stubble. Next!

Top Bottom